shape
carat
color
clarity

If you buy a cabochon, can it be re-cut into a faceted stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rough_Rock
Can you? Sorry for the potentially silly question.

I just wonder if that is theoretically possible because I want to buy cabochons and have them re-cut lol. Save lots of money.
9.gif
22.gif
27.gif
3.gif

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
It''s theoretically possible. In practical terms, you could take an attractive cabochon, lose 50% of the carat weight, and end up with an ugly faceted stone.

In the world of rough gemstones, there''s a distinction between facet-grade and cab-grade material. Many stones are shaped as cabs because the material is not clean enough or transparent enough to be faceted. Some stones are cut as cabs because they display interesting optical properties (e.g, star sapphire, cat''s eye, moonstone, etc.).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything is possible but whether it should be done is the question. A cabochon is cut as one for good reasons. Stones that are very included are typically tumbled or cut into one because cabochons hides most of the inclusions or probably may not be structurally sound as a faceted stone. Some stones are also too soft to facet and as such, do better as cabochons. Stones that show stars and cats eyes are also best cut as cabochons to show those effects.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 7:59:07 AM
Author: Chrono
Anything is possible but whether it should be done is the question. A cabochon is cut as one for good reasons. Stones that are very included are typically tumbled or cut into one because cabochons hides most of the inclusions or probably may not be structurally sound as a faceted stone. Some stones are also too soft to facet and as such, do better as cabochons. Stones that show stars and cats eyes are also best cut as cabochons to show those effects.
Which stones are too soft to facet? I''ve seen a lot of faceted apatite (hardness 5), fluorite (4), sphalerite (3.5), even amber (2 - 2.5). When a material is soft, it is actually easier to facet (though likely harder to polish). On the other hand, if a material is opaque or only translucent, chances are that it will be cut as a cab, regardless of its hardness.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have seen those very same stones faceted but they are few and far in between, are they not? You are correct though that it is the polishing that is more difficult to do.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
I would say that 80% of the apatite and fluorite I see are faceted, since both tend to have good transparency. I think all the sphalerite I''ve seen this year has been faceted, since people want to buy it for its dispersion, and the faceted material has more brilliance.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if it''s possible (probably is), but I know that some high-end jewellers do the opposite i.e. use faceted stones to make them into really fine cabs of extra clarity and fine color. It''s not done often, but in some really fine jewellery (that sells at some pretty outrageous prices) it happens.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 9:58:02 AM
Author: ma re
Not sure if it''s possible (probably is), but I know that some high-end jewellers do the opposite i.e. use faceted stones to make them into really fine cabs of extra clarity and fine color. It''s not done often, but in some really fine jewellery (that sells at some pretty outrageous prices) it happens.

Ma Re, I''ve thought about doing just that! (Taking a faceted stone and making it a cab)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 10:45:33 AM
Author: szh07
Ma Re, I''ve thought about doing just that! (Taking a faceted stone and making it a cab)
That would be a shame because you''ll lose the brilliance and sparkle, not to mention the carat weight which in turns further decreases the value of the original stone.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
EXAMPLE of the above mentioned. Read that page and browse the next 2-3 pages. That''s mostly done when cab-grade material just won''t do it for the intended design.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thinking one can cut costs by buying cabs and then faceting is not understanding "the business". if its good enough material for a faceted gem, someone would have done it before the cab hit the market......

mz

ps i''ve also bought some crystals that while lovely as a crystal were not even eligible to be cut into a cab.

Rough_Rock
^That doesn't explain why there are so many poorly faceted stones around which would be better off as cabs. While there are good quality cabs which, by assumption, they may still look better than the poorly faceted ones if re-cut.

Besides, whoever makes the decision on what to be done with the stone - if someone has high standards and quality control, they would consider an included stone to be cut into a cab. Conversely, if someone is more flexible and is targeting a lower-budget market, they wouldn't mind considering cutting an included stone. I'm guessing there is a middle ground somewhere. It can't be all cabs are illegible for being faceted stones, can't it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poorly faceted is not the same as material that is better suited as cabochon. A cabochon can have excellent colour but is cut as such because it hides the numerous inclusions better. A poorly faceted stone could be very “crystal”, just poorly cut. Perhaps I am mistaking your terminology as something else? Don’t forget that quite a few stones are cut as cabs for their optical properties (cat’s eye, moonstone, star, etc)

Rough_Rock
I'm just saying that surely there are some good quality cabs which are of better candidacy to be faceted stones than some poorly faceted ones.

I'm sure that there are some poorly faceted stones which would be better off as cabs.

I'm guessing that not all cabs need to be cabs. Even if those roughs are faceted, they would have inclusions, but they may not necessarily be ugly.

Even if the stones are scanned to determine their suitability, it can't be that *all* cabs should be cabs. There might be some that can either be faceted or cab-ed?

After all, these decisions are made by human beings with different standards of what an acceptable quality of stone should be made into a faceted or cab stone.

Just a wild guess. Hope someone in the industry chimes in.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bulgari made a huge name for itself with it's cabochon encrusted jewelry. I think a cabochon can sometimes be the best way to show pure color in a vivid gem. I think paraibas would be gorgeous as cabs, so that nothing, not even sparkle, could interrupt that color. As for the fine quality cabs that are used in jewelry like Bulgari, I wouldn't cut them down because of their value. I suppose you could, but the stone would take a plunge in value.

bulgari_picture.jpg

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know if it''s possible, but I definitely wouldn''t. I absolutely love cabs!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting TL!

Chrono, I don''t think it would be a shame. It just depends on what you are looking for; if I''m going for the look of a cab, I don''t mind loosing sparkle. I love the look of a cab with diamond side stones or a halo. I''m also usually not interested in the ''value'' of a piece as much as I am interested in creating/purchasing it for enjoyment. I do certainly understand what you mean.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would kill for a fine sapphire, ruby or emerald cab. I don''t particulary like those gems faceted, but that''s just me.

Rough_Rock
Well, that picture just disproved all doubts TL! :)

I suppose you are right. With opaque stones, cabs are the best way.

I''m still in the diamond-thinking mode. Can someone please switch the button off?
26.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
as stated, those with years of experience in "the business" know what they're doing....and they know how to judge which rough is cabbed and which is faceted. we mere consumers are no competition for them.

mz

ps i love cabs! and some are of such high quality that they're actually nicer looking as cabs. a poor looking cab is going to be a very poor looking faceted stone. the prices those high quality cabs bring are, well, HIGH. i think a lot of "designers" are now buying up a lot of the higher quality cabs for their designs: gurhan comes to mind as well as others. makes it harder for us mere mortals.

you could go with color diamonds! however, we're now talking $$$$ for quality stones. personally, i love the champagne's...........

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 2:35:54 PM
Author: 336336
Well, that picture just disproved all doubts TL! :)

I suppose you are right. With opaque stones, cabs are the best way.

I''m still in the diamond-thinking mode. Can someone please switch the button off?
26.gif
Cabbed diamond
14.gif

Cabbed emerald
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What, you don’t like the latest sale pitch I’ve seen in some magazines about diamonds in the rough? They are selling these rough diamonds set in pendants and hyping that they are incredibly rare.
25.gif

Rough_Rock
^I highly doubt that *everyone* knows what they''re doing in any profession.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 3:30:46 PM
Author: Chrono
What, you don’t like the latest sale pitch I’ve seen in some magazines about diamonds in the rough? They are selling these rough diamonds set in pendants and hyping that they are incredibly rare.
25.gif
Ugh!! I guess some would like that look, like Wilma Flintstone.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 2:14:51 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I would kill for a fine sapphire, ruby or emerald cab. I don''t particulary like those gems faceted, but that''s just me.
A big ditto! I remember seeing some cab rubies that had a nice glowing red color and the lack of facets actually brought that quality out even more IMO. And they weren''t as expensive as I''m guessing faceted ones of the same color would be.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results