shape
carat
color
clarity

If You Bring Your Lunch To Work, What Do You Make?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I brought lunch to work today, such a pain
25.gif
25.gif
25.gif
Sorry, Thing2
3.gif

I made tuna salad, which I had on one slice of whole grain bread. A bag of cut veggies (carrots, peppers,cucumbers), a small piece of applewood smoked cheddar with 2 crackers for a snack and a banana. YUM.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 9:19:15 PM
Author: kama_s
25.gif
25.gif
25.gif
Sorry, Thing2
3.gif

I made tuna salad, which I had on one slice of whole grain bread. A bag of cut veggies (carrots, peppers,cucumbers), a small piece of applewood smoked cheddar with 2 crackers for a snack and a banana. YUM.

How DARE you rub it in! Why I oughta...
38.gif
That''s it-I''m moving up there and you must get me a job at your company so I don''t have to bring lunch. And no I do not have any relevant experience!
3.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, a confession: I haven''t *technically* started bringing my lunch yet!
23.gif
12.gif

In my defense, I just joined a CSA this season and we get our first delivery Wednesday, so I want to wait and see what we get before I go to the grocery store. That''s a valid excuse, okay?!
3.gif
Plus I went out of town this weekend on Friday, got back Saturday and then was out of town again Sunday! So LAY OFF!
3.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2010 9:34:13 PM
Author: thing2of2

25.gif
25.gif
25.gif
Sorry, Thing2
3.gif

38.gif
That''s it-I''m moving up there and you must get me a job at your company so I don''t have to bring lunch. And no I do not have any relevant experience!
3.gif
DEAL! Oddly enough, we ARE looking for someone with a biostats background, so hurry up and finish that epidemiology degree already!!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I take my lunch to work every day. I save a TON of money and also a lot of calories. If I''m running late in the morning, I just grab a Lean Cuisine. I find that the meatless ones are the best. If I have leftovers, I take those. One of my favorite lunches to pack is a roast beef sandwich on a hamburger bun. I put some on some dijon, a slice of low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, a few slices of deli roast beef, some light mayo and bam! Delish!

No matter what I pack for lunch, I have to have little snacks throughout the day. I always have a banana when I get to work. I have yogurt every midmorning when I start getting really hungry. I pack a Kashi granola bar and a piece of cheese. I also generally have some fruit with lunch.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 10:01:45 PM
Date: 4/26/2010 9:34:13 PM

Author: thing2of2

25.gif
25.gif
25.gif
Sorry, Thing2
3.gif

38.gif
3.gif

DEAL! Oddly enough, we ARE looking for someone with a biostats background, so hurry up and finish that epidemiology degree already!!

YAY! I''m hurrying! And by hurrying I mean inching along at 2 classes a semester!
3.gif
(They''re free that way, though, so I can''t complain.) Just tell your company I''m *almost* done with my first graduate Statistics class-that should do the trick, yes?
2.gif

joxxxelyn

Shiny_Rock
Lately I''ve been bringing a combination of snacks. I have OIKOS greek yogurt which is available at Wal-mart for a lot less than some Greek yogurt brands. It has more protein than American yogurt and is thick. I make sure to include fruit, a handful of almonds and then a main course. Today it was a turkey sandwich on Ezekiel bread. I was full until 9 pm because of the high quality of the grains in the bread and the inclusion of protein in the sandwich and yogurt and fiber in the fruit and bread.

Nov2109

Shiny_Rock
I have always brought lunch. I usually eat out once a month and catch up with a friend of mine who also works in the area. After we got engaged FI stopped going out to eat except on Fridays. His "Friday Lunch" was $20(he works in a city) so that quickly stopped as well. He''s lost 25lbs since he stopped going out to eat! He''s pretty happy about it and now some of his co-workers are doing the same. He''s picking up on my healthy lifestyle and it makes me happy! I love food, but I know its not good to eat crap all the time, and I want FI to be healthy too! Not just about weight!

I pretty much eat a yogurt, fiber one bar, piece of fruit and a pb&j sandwich everyday. with a 100 calorie pack as a treat! Dinners are usually more exciting..haha

FI loves cold cuts, he picks out something different every week at the grocery store and eats pretty much what I eat for breakfast, minus the yogurt! Brings a bag of chips and a snack. Occasionally gets a pretzel outside if he''s extra hungry, but they are $1!
36.gif

Leftovers are also nice if we have them...I cook every night but depending on what is made depends on what we have for leftovers!

We have been able to save so much $ from him not going out to eat, he didnt realize he was spending $50-$100/week on lunch until I told him!

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2010 6:57:28 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
I sit in an office and have access to a microwave, toaster oven etc, so I usually pack leftovers....but for my kids and hubby:

sliced cheddar (cut in squares) to fit crackers
Wheat thins
Pita sandwiches
Hot Pockets (they fit into thermoses and stay warm)
Corn Dogs (they also fit into thermoses and stay warm-remove stick though)
Soups
Grilled Cheese sandwiches (cut in strips so they fit in thermoses)

They also each get fruit, juice box, and some form of snack such as a chocolate pudding, or trail mix, or cookie.
I have 3 kids that go to school, and they were so sick and tired of the same lunch everyday, so after reading your tips, I put Hot Pockets in thermoses yesterday (I''m not much on thinking out of the box in the morning!) and they all LOVED it! They asked why I did that and I said that one of my "computer friends" gave me the idea, they asked me to please thank my friend for the ideas!!!

So thank you, from 3 kids so happy not to have a ham sandwich for lunch today!

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
NEW LUNCH DISCOVERY - Bagel thins! It''s like a bagel but minus the 10 million calories and 89 grams of fat! Only 110 calories and 1.5 grams of fat. I got the Everything flavor and made my turkey sandwich on it today!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 10:00:01 AM
Author: Girlrocks

Date: 4/22/2010 6:57:28 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
I sit in an office and have access to a microwave, toaster oven etc, so I usually pack leftovers....but for my kids and hubby:

sliced cheddar (cut in squares) to fit crackers
Wheat thins
Pita sandwiches
Hot Pockets (they fit into thermoses and stay warm)
Corn Dogs (they also fit into thermoses and stay warm-remove stick though)
Soups
Grilled Cheese sandwiches (cut in strips so they fit in thermoses)

They also each get fruit, juice box, and some form of snack such as a chocolate pudding, or trail mix, or cookie.
I have 3 kids that go to school, and they were so sick and tired of the same lunch everyday, so after reading your tips, I put Hot Pockets in thermoses yesterday (I''m not much on thinking out of the box in the morning!) and they all LOVED it! They asked why I did that and I said that one of my ''computer friends'' gave me the idea, they asked me to please thank my friend for the ideas!!!

So thank you, from 3 kids so happy not to have a ham sandwich for lunch today!

You''re Wecome!!! Glad I could help...There are a few more things I''ve discovered that fit into wide mouth thermoses:

Burritos
taquitos
potato skins (the kind with melted cheese and bacon on them)-I put 2 halves cheese to cheese and wrap in foil like a full baked potato.

These all stay warm longer if they are foil wrapped first then put into the thermoses. Just glad the kids eat around 11AM, so it''s still warm for them. I like my food piping hot, and the thermos idea would not really work for me.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I pack Paul's lunch and mine every night. There are girls at work who eat out every day and when one of them sat down to do the math, she switched over, too. Spending over $40 a week will do that, I suppose.

For Paul, I pack leftovers from whatever we had that night, and because I gave up the microwave completely, and because I'm more of a grazer than a meal eater, I pack small things, and always a fruit and a veggie. I really like to cut up an apple and eat it with natural peanut butter (I have that most days). Other things that I tend to bring would be a variation of the following: string cheese or yogurt, salad, a boiled egg (I don't like yolks, though), baby carrots and dip, etc. Sometimes I will make homemade guacamole and have that with pita chips.... so delicious! Other times I will take a sandwhich or have 1/2 a bagel with light cream cheesel. I also like raw almonds or a fiber granola bar for a snack about 3pm. That's when hunger strikes for me.

The majority of the people in the break room each day bring in either leftovers or a sandwhich.

I really like when people bring in leftovers; you can get some great recipes that way!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results