shape
carat
color
clarity

If I won the Lotto, this Platinumsmith Art Deco Ring would be it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Built completely by hand. Just look at that gallery, it looks like clockwork, in the best way possible. *drool* That takes insane precision and quality, right there. This is my "If I won the lotto" ring.

Masterful Art DEco Ring

What''s your dream colored stone ring?

Platinumsmith_Art_Deco_PLatinum_Ring.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I''m with you....maybe we don''t have to win the lottery---we could always rob a bank! but then again instead of saving up money to purchase stones we would have to use it for bail instead
9.gif

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow
3.gif
that is beyond pretty; I am a guy and I would almost go through the sex change to be able to wear something that nice ... LOL

I am serious that is some very detailed elegant work, and the sapphire is pretty awesome also; I have always admired that kind of talent; it looks like something from the 18th century when time was not so pressing...

Thank you litebrite for showing that masterpiece of workmanship...

Makes me want to get back to wax carving and make something neat like that... NOT... LOL I guess I better stick to cutting
28.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Labour 160:00+ hours (or 1 month), predominately under a microscope
23.gif
32.gif
JEBUS!!
Parts assembled - total 32
Number assembled from main parts – 13 (pre-polished)
Design time 40:00 hr (on paper & pro forma elements)
Diamonds hand set – 116
Sapphire setting 4:00 hrs

Actually, I had to take a step back and really look at that ring. Not that I have a spare 21K just hanging out in my purse, but the workmanship they put into this ring makes it kinda sorta worth it.

Thats one hella statement piece right thur!

-A

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen Phillip''s work in person . He is a true craftsman

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I was just browsing his website last night and drooled over the same ring. LB are you from Australia too?

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
That job sheet makes interesting reading.
Since you ask, and if I won the lottery, trying to choose a favourite is difficult but it just might be this:

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
this time with the file attached!

spess and Tsav.jpg

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, the description of the time involved would make it worth it for me. It''d be wearing a true piece of art.

The under a microscope bit really got me. He must have very fine motor skills.

LG, not from Australia, found platinumsmith via PS a while back, and check it once in awhile to admire his handicraft. I wish both he and Mark Morrell would update their websites more - I know MWM has much more eye candy than he puts up.

KLewis, who made that stunning ring?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m fond of this Leon Mege, if I had the cash laying around I would get it. Link

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you truly love art deco and sapphires, you can't get much more of both in the incredible Rockefeller sapphire. It's one of the finest Burmese sapphires in the world, and designed by famed art deco style jeweler Raymond Yard. One of my favorite colored gem rings of all time. It's simplicy, style, and the way it showcases that amazing rock is just a sight to behold. It sold for 3 million in 2001 in a Christies auction. 62 carats.

John D. Rockefeller Jr. bought the sapphire in 1934 from an Indian maharajah. In the 1940s, Pierre Cartier mounted the stone as a brooch for Rockefeller's first wife, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller. A decade later, Rockefeller's second wife, Martha Baird Rockefeller, had the brooch redesigned by Raymond Yard, Rockefeller's jewelry adviser.

The sapphire passed out of the family's hands in 1971, when the jewelry from John D. Rockefeller Jr.'s estate was sold in Zurich. During the next 17 years, the stone would be resold numerous times, repolished and mounted in its current setting as a ring. Today the rectangular-cut sapphire is set in platinum with cut-cornered triangular-cut diamonds

rock_sapphire.JPG

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 9:59:49 AM
Author: litebrite

Litebrite - It''s from Mark Schneider Design.

TL - I have seen that photo of that amazing sapphire and I never tire of looking at it. Do you know if there are any other pics of it taken from a different angle?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/2/2009 5:10:39 AM
Author: klewis

Date: 9/1/2009 9:59:49 AM
Author: litebrite

Litebrite - It''s from Mark Schneider Design.

TL - I have seen that photo of that amazing sapphire and I never tire of looking at it. Do you know if there are any other pics of it taken from a different angle?
Klewis,
I could only find this small face on picture, and I''m sure the picture doesn''t do the color any justice.

rockefeller_face.JPG

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
The Rockefeller sapphire is stunning.
30.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That sapphire is world famous..very nice..let's see if i won the lottery..hmm..maybe this 6.04ct. FLAWLESS blue diamond..only $650,000 a ct. beat the hancock red out..a fancy vivid blue..heck with the mega million last week at 335 million this would be small potatoes..oh why can't I or another PS'er win a big lottery..think of the post..

lott.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another and the picture probably doesn't do this stone's color any justice at all.

The Graff Ruby - probably one of the finest, if not the finest, Burmese rubies in the world.

Elizabeth Taylor also has an amazing Burmese ruby ring, but I can't find a picture of it. Richard Burton gifted it to her.

In 2006 Graff paid a record $3.6 million at Christie's for an 8.2 carat cushion-cut Burmese ruby.

Graff_ruby_yum.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading the worksheet for that sapphire art deco ring, the price really isn't so bad! And there's apparently a discount if you don't need to resize it, hehe. Not that I have $17845 (I'm assuming his list price is in Australian dollars?)

But if you estimate the raw materials (platinum, sapphire, diamonds) at say 6k (which is probably a cautious estimate), then you're only paying an additional $72/hr for work predominantly under a microscope. That's less than most skilled labor!

BlueSea

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 8:22:31 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here''s another and the picture probably doesn''t do this stone''s color any justice at all.

The Graff Ruby - probably one of the finest, if not the finest, Burmese rubies in the world.

Elizabeth Taylor also has an amazing Burmese ruby ring, but I can''t find a picture of it. Richard Burton gifted it to her.

In 2006 Graff paid a record $3.6 million at Christie''s for an 8.2 carat cushion-cut Burmese ruby.
Hi TL,

I''m so glad to see you back. I''m always enjoying reading your posts!!!
35.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful art deco sapphire ring. If I won the lotto first... it would be mine too along with several other pieces
3.gif
!!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Wow, evidently I haven''t been dreaming big enough, look at TL''s ring! Maybe we should start a PS lotto fund
9.gif
; too bad the MegaMillions had 2 winners already. Otherwise, that pot would have been plenty for each of us to have our own dream rings.

MTG, I agree, $72/hr for that kind of skilled labor seems kinda low. LM has rings for about that much that seem less intricate (speaking from a layperson perspective.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results