shape
carat
color
clarity

If a sales associate at a jewelry store drops your stone and chips it...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OR breaks it, does the stoe have to pay to replace it? After reading the recent tourmaline post about the salesman messing with the stone in tweezers, it reminded me of my old 8ct paraiba. I was in a store and looking at settings (before I returned it) and the sales woman was holding the stone looking at it. She dropped it on the glass counter (and my heart stopped), and then said "oh, dont worry about it" when I immediately popped it under the scope to check for chips. I told her how expensive these stones are and she just said ''oh....ok''. Needless to say I just walked out and gave her a NASTY look.

Now, if she chipped the stone, or it broke, would her store have to pay for it since she was holding it and dropped it? I dont let anyone hold my stones anymore because of that.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I would have been B-S in that situation and would have pressed for compensation had it been chipped. The problem is that even if it happened you''d have no way to prove that it was the drop that caused the damage.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don’t think so. It will be the equivalent of asking a friend who was holding your stone while admiring it and who chipped or broke it when she dropped it, to pay for the stone. The only responsibility a jeweller has when handling your stone if he has been commissioned to set it is theft. He/she is not even responsible for any damage to the stone during the setting process, unless the stone was purchased from him/her.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 9:51:48 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Personally I would have been B-S in that situation and would have pressed for compensation had it been chipped. The problem is that even if it happened you''d have no way to prove that it was the drop that caused the damage.

This. Even if you could prove without a doubt that they were the ones that chipped it, the fact is that YOU should have gotten the stone insured to replace it if such a thing happened. It is not up to the retailer you let handle it.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its didnt chip for clarification. I am just asking in a ''what if'' situation.
I think there is a difference between letting my friend hold it, and a sales person holding it to look at for a setting. I know when I worked in sales, we used a felt lined pad under every stone or piece of jewelry just in case it fell.

What would be the difference between dropping it on the counter while examining the stone, and the jeweler dropping it on the floor or losing the stone durring setting? Wouldnt the store be responsible in that situation?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Again, you could press for compensation; however, without hard proof of the condition of your stone prior to the SA dropping it, you don''t really have a firm case against them. It''s your word against theirs.

As for the SA vs jeweler, you''ve signed over your stone to them for it to be set. They have ins to cover this, but it probably only covers things signed over into their care (the slip of paper you sign when you drop it off).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, there is no difference between dropping it on the counter while examining the stone, and the jeweller dropping it on the floor or losing the stone during setting as they are not responsible for damage to the stone while it is in their care, but only for theft. This is usually very clear in the paperwork or work order that the customer signs.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
While it's true that damage can occur, and that the legal obligation may not be there I have never seen a client of mine NOT bend over backwards to fix a problem. Sometimes that's getting a chip polished out of a customer's stone, sometimes it's finding a replacement and either eating the cost or passing it on at wholesale. No jeweller wants a ticked-off client.

That said, I don't work with chains or mall stores but with goldsmiths and custom designers. They are extremely careful on take-in and for several of them I do informal "stone checks" before they take anything out of mountings so that they don't re-use a customer's stones and later get accused of swapping them. Several synthetics and doublets have been brought in in old jewellery.

When handling MY stones I do not allow tweezers unless I know the client well. In a gemmology class some years ago I calmly offered to break a fellow student's hand for her if she touched my tourmaline - she'd been extremely rough and disrespectful of the stones and equipment through the day, and reached for my rock across the table with her tweezers.

At the end of the day, you need to judge who you allow to handle your stones, just as you judge who gets to drive your car or walk your dog. You are entrusting an object of value to someone and need to be sure that the person in question deserves the trust.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 12:15:36 PM
Author: lelser
While it''s true that damage can occur, and that the legal obligation may not be there I have never seen a client of mine NOT bend over backwards to fix a problem. Sometimes that''s getting a chip polished out of a customer''s stone, sometimes it''s finding a replacement and either eating the cost or passing it on at wholesale. No jeweller wants a ticked-off client.

That said, I don''t work with chains or mall stores but with goldsmiths and custom designers. They are extremely careful on take-in and for several of them I do informal ''stone checks'' before they take anything out of mountings so that they don''t re-use a customer''s stones and later get accused of swapping them. Several synthetics and doublets have been brought in in old jewellery.

When handling MY stones I do not allow tweezers unless I know the client well. In a gemmology class some years ago I calmly offered to break a fellow student''s hand for her if she touched my tourmaline - she''d been extremely rough and disrespectful of the stones and equipment through the day, and reached for my rock across the table with her tweezers.

At the end of the day, you need to judge who you allow to handle your stones, just as you judge who gets to drive your car or walk your dog. You are entrusting an object of value to someone and need to be sure that the person in question deserves the trust.

BIG ditto to this. You have to know the person you are letting handle your stone, and you have to trust them to understand if it is delicate. Taking your stone to a maul store or equivalent is just asking for trouble.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
turn it around: you''re in a jewelry store and ask to see a color stone....and inadvertently drop it....it chips. is this like being in a china shop where if you break it, you bought it?

just curious.........

mz

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
good point MZ. I am sure they would tell me I need to buy the stone. So why not the other way around?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2010 9:44:09 AM
Author:RockHugger
OR breaks it, does the stoe have to pay to replace it? After reading the recent tourmaline post about the salesman messing with the stone in tweezers, it reminded me of my old 8ct paraiba. I was in a store and looking at settings (before I returned it) and the sales woman was holding the stone looking at it. She dropped it on the glass counter (and my heart stopped), and then said ''oh, dont worry about it'' when I immediately popped it under the scope to check for chips. I told her how expensive these stones are and she just said ''oh....ok''. Needless to say I just walked out and gave her a NASTY look.

Now, if she chipped the stone, or it broke, would her store have to pay for it since she was holding it and dropped it? I dont let anyone hold my stones anymore because of that.
There''s really no way to prove who chipped it since they can say the chip was already there, or it could have happened after you left the store. I once had an emerald set by a jeweler, and noticed that the jeweler chipped the stone after setting, and he blamed me for the chip, but I knew it was due to faulty setting. I couldn''t prove it. It stinks, I know.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It comes down to insurance. The shop would expect you to have the stone insured. It''s not their stone and therefore not their responsibility. If you showed it to a friend and she dropped it what would you do then? If you were in a shop and knocked your hand, chipping your stone, what would you do then?

It''s not fair but unfortunately that''s the way it works.

empress

Shiny_Rock
I am under the impression that it's almost impossible to get affordable insurance on unset stones. I haven't found any - where do you get your insurance?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 1:35:44 PM
Author: RockHugger
good point MZ. I am sure they would tell me I need to buy the stone. So why not the other way around?

I have done this. I once dropped a ring with a pear onyx onto the glass countertop, scratching it (onyx is pretty soft). The guy barely even glanced at it, because the fact is that they can get it replaced in a maul store pretty darn easily. If you did this in a cutter''s house where the work is far more top-notch it might be different, but that is a completely different scenario.

The FACTS have been mentioned above by several posts, RH. It just doesn''t work that way. They would not be responsible for chipping your stone.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was in a jeweler one time showing a few of my stones. One of the sales people grabbed a gem jar with a large amethyst in it, and tried to pry to lid off. As he yanked the lid off, the stone went flying out, and landed on the glass counter top. Of course it took one point of the trillion off. I got a "sorry about that", out of it.

Most better quality jewelry stores will have a table with suede or other soft covering, a few chairs, nice lighting. In this area they will bring customers to examine stones are finished pieces. If something drops it doesn''t get damaged.

I learned my lesson and never show goods over the glass top cases. Also for everyone... those little white glass top gem jars should be opened by using the back end of your tweezers or a dime, and twist it in the slot. Never try to yank it off, the gem ALWAYS goes flying.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
interesting topic, speaks to who is responsible for what.

I have now established in my own mind that all jewlery store employees are just that: Salestaff. They know little about any stones, particularly those coming in unset. There is no reason for them to ever handle one of my stones. Ever. I would not have a bench jeweler ''playing'' with my stones unless I had verified replacement if broken/damaged.

I would never pay for anything I damaged in a jewelry store because they wouldn''t pay for damage done to my goods. Further, jewelers carry insurance to cover damage done by shoppers.

I was in The Blarney Center in Ireland. The entire wall of one end was Waterford Crystal. A man attempting to replace a vase set off a chain reaction accident that broke a good half of the wall display.

The saleswomen came running from all through the store; the first question asked of the man was "Are you alright, sir?"

The USA could learn a few things from the Irish shopkeeper.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 4:45:29 PM
Author: StonieGrl

I have now established in my own mind that all jewlery store employees are just that: Salestaff. They know little about any stones, particularly those coming in unset. There is no reason for them to ever handle one of my stones. Ever. I would not have a bench jeweler ''playing'' with my stones unless I had verified replacement if broken/damaged.

I would never pay for anything I damaged in a jewelry store because they wouldn''t pay for damage done to my goods. Further, jewelers carry insurance to cover damage done by shoppers.

I was in The Blarney Center in Ireland. The entire wall of one end was Waterford Crystal. A man attempting to replace a vase set off a chain reaction accident that broke a good half of the wall display.

The saleswomen came running from all through the store; the first question asked of the man was ''Are you alright, sir?''

Actually most retail stores have breakage built into their budgets and sales numbers. The whole "you break it you buy it" policy is bogus and should be questioned whenever relevant. Just because the vendor posts it in the store doesn''t mean it''s legal or legit. I''ve worked in numerous retail environments, both high and low end and all have had this policy.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you said that well.

Stores can post signage saying about anything they want and some naive people will abide by it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 12:32:01 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
I was in a jeweler one time showing a few of my stones. One of the sales people grabbed a gem jar with a large amethyst in it, and tried to pry to lid off. As he yanked the lid off, the stone went flying out, and landed on the glass counter top. Of course it took one point of the trillion off. I got a ''sorry about that'', out of it.

Most better quality jewelry stores will have a table with suede or other soft covering, a few chairs, nice lighting. In this area they will bring customers to examine stones are finished pieces. If something drops it doesn''t get damaged.

I learned my lesson and never show goods over the glass top cases. Also for everyone... those little white glass top gem jars should be opened by using the back end of your tweezers or a dime, and twist it in the slot. Never try to yank it off, the gem ALWAYS goes flying.
Very important info. Tweezers or a dime. Thank you.
9.gif

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Also, when opening those pesky little gem boxes, I find it useful to turn the box upside down when actually opening it. If you have the box right side up, any small amount of jostling can send the stone flying. If you open the box upside down, there will be a lip around the sides of the top that catches and contains the gem a bit.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 5:04:38 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Date: 2/16/2010 4:45:29 PM

Author: StonieGrl

The saleswomen came running from all through the store; the first question asked of the man was ''Are you alright, sir?''

Actually most retail stores have breakage built into their budgets and sales numbers. The whole ''you break it you buy it'' policy is bogus and should be questioned whenever relevant. Just because the vendor posts it in the store doesn''t mean it''s legal or legit. I''ve worked in numerous retail environments, both high and low end and all have had this policy.

Just to clarify this last point. I was referring to the policy of NOT charging customers for breakage. It''s built into the numbers. I once knocked down an entire display of glassware at Pier One and like the previous poster said, the only response was "OMG are you ok?!?!"

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 12:32:01 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
I was in a jeweler one time showing a few of my stones. One of the sales people grabbed a gem jar with a large amethyst in it, and tried to pry to lid off. As he yanked the lid off, the stone went flying out, and landed on the glass counter top. Of course it took one point of the trillion off. I got a ''sorry about that'', out of it.

My jeweler looks at my gems over a soft suede folder looking thing, but they do it over the glass counter.

Did anyone see Borat where he broke that antique store merchandise? I just about laughed my brains out. The antique store owner did charge Borat for the damages though.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have been so livid if the guy had dropped and broken/chipped my tourmaline, especially because he didn''t even ask before he opened the gem jar and started toying with it. I would have been awfully tempted to "drop" his loose gems all over his store and leave
11.gif

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Right Hudson, understand/understood
1.gif

I worked in a couple of high-end stores when I was in college and they all had that same built-in buffer re breakage and also for theft.

I just find it ''amusing'' that anyone would complete a purchase at an establishment with the kind of signage of "you break it, you buy it" variety. You know what kind of post sales customer service you will get there if something is wrong with the item later. Zilch.

I went to Oliver Smith in Scottsdale with some of my loose stones. A beautiful store. I asked about after-sale customer service. I asked about how much to get a custom project started and the answer was "$0. We don''t want money until you are happy with the item."
36.gif

Bazinga! (I love Big Bang too!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results