shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideas things to do in LA with my parents

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,
I''ve been very busy and I haven''t had time to plan any activities for when my folks are coming to visit this weekend. I am desperately seeking ideas!!! They have already seen the pier, the getty, 3rd st., hollywood usual sites. I have a day planned to possibly visit the Santa Barbara wineries and my dad loves good beer and burgers, so we are heading to father''s office another night. Other than that I''m out of ideas! Another thing is that they can''t walk more than a few blocks at a time because my mom just had surgery on her leg.

Thanks!!!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
The Getty Villa. I especially love the Villa these days, and if you haven''t been there it is amazing! I''m in Orange County, so I always suggest the beaches here. If your dad likes burgers maybe take him to Ruby''s out on the end of the pier in Huntington. You can eat a somewhat decent (hey, its Rubys!) burger surrounded by beautiful ocean and beach. I always bring people there.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 12:48:35 AM
Author: EricaR
The Getty Villa. I especially love the Villa these days, and if you haven''t been there it is amazing! I''m in Orange County, so I always suggest the beaches here. If your dad likes burgers maybe take him to Ruby''s out on the end of the pier in Huntington. You can eat a somewhat decent (hey, its Rubys!) burger surrounded by beautiful ocean and beach. I always bring people there.
These are great suggestions!! The getty villa is fairly close to us too, why didn''t I think of that?!!! I''ve actually never been to Ruby''s, but I''d love to go.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Darn I was going to say the Getty too!
1.gif
I love both of them! On a slow night it feels almost like you own the place-very peaceful and the views of the city! Meow! The LACMA is fun too.

Going to a movie at a classic movie theater is fun too. Hmmm I''ll think about it! I think agree that dinner with an ocean view is always a classic for guests. Our guests love dinner with an ocean view.

If it was not for the walking issue I might suggest Aquarium of the Pacific. Our guests have dug that.

Mrs.2Artists

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I love Bowers museum too. Which is not too big but gets the most amazing collections. Also the Norton Simon is a blast but I am an art nerd so maybe thats just me.

Mrs.2Artists

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE FO...

how about Korean BBQ? Thai Elvis?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 1:01:56 AM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 11/12/2008 12:48:35 AM
Author: EricaR
These are great suggestions!! The getty villa is fairly close to us too, why didn''t I think of that?!!! I''ve actually never been to Ruby''s, but I''d love to go.
There''s a ruby''s in redondo beach too, but I bet the huntington one has way better atmosphere. Personally, I say skip ruby''s and go to father''s office like you intended. It''s an experience that''s hard to duplicate anywhere else. Just remember, no substitutions!

Up in Buelton, there''s the hitching post which your parents might enjoy if they''ve seen sideways. However, I am WAY more of a fan of Jocko''s in Nipomo. Their steaks are awesome. Not near as "posh" as HP (although they aren''t really posh either) but it''s also a less than half the price. The little spencer steak there is my recommendation.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, you could also check out The Counter for a great burger. We''ve got one in Irvine and I go there all the time.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I like the Bowers Museum a lot, but they are between big exhibits right now and tickets are pricey for what you get...

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I loooooved the last 2 big exhibits I saw there. The Terra Cotta Warriors one was mind blowing and the Egyptian one from the British Museum before that rocked as well. I have out of town family who are super into art quilting and photography as well too. So it depends. Many museums have a free day too during the month.

Mrs.2Artists

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Don''t get me wrong - I LOVE that quilt exhibit (I''m a quilter so I went on the first day!), and the Terra Cotta Warriors and the Egyptian exhibits were great. I was just trying to say that right now they don''t have anything at the level of the Warriors or Mummies. I think it is cheaper to get in right now, too. We are members so I don''t really pay attention to the exact ticket prices.

I''m also a huge fan of the SoCal history exhibits. I''m a docent with the Irvine Ranch Conservancy and have been learning as much about the local history as possible. Every two or three months I get a huge hankering to go into the local history rooms so I''ll go running over there for an afternoon.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are so awesome!! I just checked this thread and there is a multitude of things I can now suggest! I booked my online tickets for the getty villa on sunday, I really think they are going to love that. Still debating on which place would be best for the burgers and beer.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about 8 oz Burger Bar?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to chime in and thank everyone! My parents had a great time.

We ended up gong to the getty villa, huntington gardens (with many sitting breaks, but they loved it), father''s offce, and a great ethiopian restaurant in little ethiopia called Merkato (they love good ethnic food too).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results