shape
carat
color
clarity

ideas for Indian, Italian, Vegetarian Buffet reception

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone! I normally post in the Colored Gems forum, but I was thought I'd check in over here to see if anyone had any suggestions...

I am helping my BF plan her wedding. She is Italian-American and he is Indian-America. They are both pretty hardcore vegetarians. A friend of his family owns Indian and Italian restaurants and offered to give them a deal on the catering. Perfect, right? The idea is to do two buffet stations, one Indian and one Italian, with guests sampling from either or both. The only thing is, while the food at both restaurants is good for what it is, the Indian is definitely more upscale whereas the Italian is more of a subs-and-pizza type place-- though a really tasty one! The owners told her they would work with her to put together a more appropriate menu for the wedding buffet, but she's not really sure what to suggest that would work in a large scale buffet type situation.

Any suggestions of dishes that would work well for a vegetarian (not vegan!) Italian buffet? She is thinking to do some apps (bruchettas, stuffed mushrooms, olives, crudites, etc.), a couple of salads (caprese or a bread salad and something more greens-based), and 2 or 3 "main" type dishes (eggplant parmesan, baked pasta (but something fancier and more unusual than just red sauce baked ziti, polenta squares with a sauce, or possible a pasta dish that will stay good on a buffet), and grilled vegetables.

No one on the Indian side eats meat, so the vegetarian issue not a problem on that end, but she wants to make sure her family and other meat-eating guests feel satisfied. Her dad is a seafood distributor, so it is possible that she will be convinced to include at least one seafood dish and/or appetizer.

Anyone with experience, suggestions, or thoughts on how to make this work?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have her try the sauces-- basic marinara, vodka and pesto and alfredo and pick three she prefers. And ask them if they can do a chef station with three types of pasta ( mostly cooked and ready to be heated with sauce-- spaghetti and penne and a cheese tortellini or ravioli) with the three sauces presented in bowls with ladles and some bowls of cooked veggies to throw in on request (olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, roasted peppers, sauteed onions and fresh garlic). Two to four burners and one or two people behind the station-- two burners max per person. And then the guests all pick the sauce, veggie and pasta they want and get it hot. Basic pasta station.

That's the classiest and nicest impression.

Otherwise. Pesto and Orzo salad with lots of good veggies chopped fine. Eggplant Rolls instead of Parm. Baked Ziti. And maybe penne a la vodka (Lida has a great and easy recipe for a great vodka sauce), or ravioli with spinach with Alfredo or Vodka sauce or combine pesto and alfredo for a green cream sauce on Tortellini.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
wow, she's hooked up in the food department:) Way to work the connections!

I think the italian apps, salads, polenta squares, and grilled veggies sound amazing and totally second Gypsy's rec for a pasta toss chef station. I did that at my wedding and it was a HUGE hit. Elegant, easy, and super yummy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw the seafood thing.

Easy peasy italian seafood dish. Marinara with white wine, lots of salt pepper extra garlic and fresh parsley added poured over Talapia or other boneless white filet fish sauteed in garlic, salt, peper and olive oil. Great on a buffet too. Lots of good bread for dipping and you are set. Or you can make a piccata sauce over the same fish.

You can skip it IMO. Meat eaters usually aren't satisfied by fish. So it's not going to do THAT much. Chicken Piccata would be a better single meat dish.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1322618841|3071273 said:
I just saw the seafood thing.

Easy peasy italian seafood dish. Marinara with white wine, lots of salt pepper extra garlic and fresh parsley added poured over Talapia or other boneless white filet fish sauteed in garlic, salt, peper and olive oil. Great on a buffet too. Lots of good bread for dipping and you are set. Or you can make a piccata sauce over the same fish.

You can skip it IMO. Meat eaters usually aren't satisfied by fish. So it's not going to do THAT much. Chicken Piccata would be a better single meat dish.

Totally agree with the above. Also, seconding eggplant rolls instead of parm--better on a buffet. Eggplant parm tends to get soggy even right out of the pan, let alone on a buffet. We veggies don't like soggy eggplant parm! :bigsmile:

I would LOVE to come to this wedding, btw! After years of chicken or beef this just appeals to me on so many levels!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results