shape
carat
color
clarity

idealscope/prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JmuTarHeel

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
First off, thanks to all for the help in picking out the right stone for my engagment ring!

I was originally not concerned with H&A, but the ''right'' stone for me actually had ''H&A'' effect at a cost I was happy with. I have viewed it through an idealscope... and it''s not a great pattern, but its H&A nonetheless.... my question is whether you can still use an idealscope on a stone after its set. I am assuming viewing Hearts is out of the question, but what about Arrows (does the setting/prongs affect the ability to see them)?

The setting is picked out, but I am trying to decide between 4-6 prong settings. I like the ''open'' look of the 4, but like the safety of the 6.... They will be platinum on a yellow gold tiffany (with a little character to make it interesting but classic)

Am I correct in assuming the only light/view/sparkle hinderance of the 6 is obstructing the side view with the 2 extra prongs, or is it more than that?

Also, I am getting a good policy through chubb or jewelers mutual-- do they regularly give discounts for having a stone set in a 6 vs. a 4? If not, I''m leaning toward the 4....

Oh, BTW, here is the stone I am going with (all 3 inclusions very minor and all very near girdle):

Round Brilliant Ideal
1.74ct
G SI1
EGL
Measurements: 7.71-7.64-4.75
Depth Percentage: 61.8 %
Table Percentage: 57 %
Girdle: M
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Special Notes: hearts & arrows effect

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It may be somewhat difficult to use the idealscope as it can be hard to get enough light through the back of the stone, but you can use almost any hearts and arrows viewer to see the pattern.

I find them easier to use on mounted stones than the idealscope.

Wink

JmuTarHeel

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply, Wink

I looked up a few H&A viewers... Can you see hearts with them on a mounted diamond?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2005 11:23:28 AM
Author: JmuTarHeel
Thanks for the quick reply, Wink

I looked up a few H&A viewers... Can you see hearts with them on a mounted diamond?
no, you can''t
7.gif
the hearts are on the pavilion side

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results