shape
carat
color
clarity

Idealscope and Sarin - Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

solomon

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''ve been learning (lurking) on this forum for a couple of weeks now and have a stone I''m interested in. It is an asscher style cut, with three steps instead of the typical emerald style 2 steps. (This does show on the GIA diagram)

I just got the Sarin report and Idealscope image.

Please tell me what you think.

GIA cert stats:

Girdle Medium
Culet None
Polish EX
Symmetry VG

Clarity IF
Color F
Fluorescence None

No Comments

But symbol keys shows extra facet - does not show on my copy where it is.

IS_GIA13937412.jpg

solomon

Rough_Rock
Sarin report.

Thanks in advance for any help.

SARIN_GIA13937412.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2005 5:29:13 PM
Author:solomon
Hi, I've been learning (lurking) on this forum for a couple of weeks now and have a stone I'm interested in. It is an asscher style cut, with three steps instead of the typical emerald style 2 steps. (This does show on the GIA diagram)
I thought the usual is 3 steps on crown ? Anyway, the Iscope looks very nice ('guess the stone was tilted a tiny bit, but this doesn't prevent the high brilliance to show through), and so does everything else about this stone, IMO
1.gif

You may find useful the refference Ideal Scope pictures provided for emerald cuts with this tool (on ideal-scope.com).

ADDED: now I see the Q about the extra facet. It may not be on the plot if very small. It should be very small indeed, really, otherwise the symmetry would have been downgraded. Is there an electronic copy of the lab report ?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
see if they can get a better ideal scope images either that asscher sux or its severly tilted.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Yep it looks tilted. But if Garry says it''s a keeper, it''s a keeper. He knows IS. He invented it!
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 12:18
6.gif
9 AM
Author: pqcollectibles
Yep it looks tilted. But if Garry says it''s a keeper, it''s a keeper. He knows IS. He invented it!
2.gif

Yea maybe but asschers arent all about brightness and Ill call him on it when it comes to asschers.
I view the proper asscher pattern the same way a lot of people around here view proper arrows on a h&a diamond its either got or it dont.
This one might but so far it doesnt look like it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks like the pavillion angles are off. the dark patches that you see under the is, are what you will see in the stone under natural light. the steps are not symmetrical. if you want a good looking asscher, look for symmetry.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
9 AM
Yep it looks tilted. But if Garry says it's a keeper, it's a keeper. He knows IS. He invented it!
2.gif
Greetings!

Since I consider Strm an astute asscher aficionado, I checked the stone out this morning (it's one we brought in for the customer). There's nothing wrong with it - even if it was tilted slightly for the IS image. It's beautiful. Maybe this clarity image will provide a better read.

DI_GIA13937412.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome back John!

Yours must have been a working vacation to have returned with such a find ... among many others I am sure.
35.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
it looks magnificent---with excellent polish and VG symmetry i think the sarin missed the edge when it jumped the corner!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 11:39:49 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

6.gif
9 AM
2.gif
Greetings!

Since I consider Strm an astute asscher aficionado, I checked the stone out this morning (it''s one we brought in for the customer). There''s nothing wrong with it - even if it was tilted slightly for the IS image. It''s beautiful. Maybe this clarity image will provide a better read.
Looks much better.
Id take it to the next step and have someone eyeball it under direct light and indirect light.
Looking for fire and the 10 mile deep look.

solomon

Rough_Rock
WF graciously took another IS photo for me:

IS_GIA13937412_2.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Strm has a very keen eye. That''s for sure.

The second IS looks better and that magnified pic is very nice.

Knowing it''s WF,................. WF won''t offer a diamond to you until it''s been thoroughly evaluated by Brian Gavin. And Brian won''t offer you a diamond if he wouldn''t want it himself. Seems worth a look to see if you are completely pleased.
2.gif

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I am just a novice. Why are the dark spots not symmetric?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Still looks like a bit of diamond tilt.

Sometimes diamonds are not the most willing photography subjects. The pros had a discussion once about taking diamond pics. Sometimes they get the camera and diamond set up and click off the perfect shot in 10 minutes. Sometimes it can take up to an hour or more of adjustments to get the diamond to "cooperate" and snap the right shot.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 3:30:54 PM
Author: kevinraja
I am just a novice. Why are the dark spots not symmetric?
big tilt....

WF needs to work on there asscher is-pic procedure.
To be fair they arent the only ones.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 3:26:44 PM
Strm has a very keen eye. That''s for sure.

The second IS looks better and that magnified pic is very nice.

Knowing it''s WF,................. WF won''t offer a diamond to you until it''s been thoroughly evaluated by Brian Gavin. And Brian won''t offer you a diamond if he wouldn''t want it himself. Seems worth a look to see if you are completely pleased.
2.gif

Thank you Sharon. Very kind of you to say - and a fitting description of Brian''s philosophy.

Strm, like you said, getting the stone level is the most challenging part of photographing any pavilion-down image. Garry''s tray has made it much easier for many, but we''ll all continue to work on it.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2005 11:49
6.gif
2 AM
Author: valeria101
Welcome back John!

Yours must have been a working vacation to have returned with such a find ... among many others I am sure.
35.gif

LOL Ana,

I didn''t actually bring that beauty back with me... The only work I did was making sure my hotel shades were closed when I went to bed so I could sleep in!
2.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK, the diamond is probably not perfectly symmetrical and what you are seeing is the cut off between the dark lens and the red plstic of the ideal-scope.
Now could you see this and detect this asymetry with your eyes?

I doubt it very much.

Firstly with both eyes open you have not a hope in hades.

With one eye open, you would need to have a perfect lighting environemnt to make this effect apparnet. And since most people I have met have one eye on one side of the head, and the other on the other side - the lighting environemt is already unbalanced. I do not believe any human could detect this asymmetry, unless they were a cyclops with a perfectly symmetrical head in a room that is all the same color or outside in the snow on a cloudy day.

Storm you could get so anal that you could be at risk of disapearing
6.gif

WFassch.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2005 12:27:11 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Now could you see this and detect this asymetry with your eyes?

I doubt it very much.
Pricescope has a way of repeating itself ... there''s been the same about a princess cut lately - and here''s the end user''s rave review LINK. Just in case Garry didn''t say it loud enough
2.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 12:27:11 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

I do not believe any human could detect this asymmetry, unless they were a cyclops with a perfectly symmetrical head in a room that is all the same color or outside in the snow on a cloudy day.
9.gif

Cycloupe.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rofl John.

Garry we have been over this before.
Some people are sensitive to optical symmetry due to dominant eye issues.
Just like some are color or clarity sensitive.
Odds are I would notice a very slight difference in optical symmetry that some wouldn''t being strongly right eye dominant.
That said the is-photo isnt a good representation of the diamond in this case.
While not perfect its good enough for a second look and is better than the is-image shows and is above average.
Im as picky when it comes to asschers and the proper pattern as John is when it comes to arrows on a h&a diamond.
In very common lighting conditions its where the eyeball meets the diamond :}

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results