shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal vs Expert Cut Selection at Whiteflash?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yahui

Rough_Rock
What''s the difference between Ideal Cut vs Expert Cut Selection at Whiteflash? Is Expert Cut better? If Expert Cut Selection is better, how is it better? Thanks for the replies!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I asked Brian about this, and this is what he told me:

The Expert selection are stones that have been looked at......hands on in house.......and hand-picked to represent the *best value for the money*.

In some cases, they are stones that didn't make the "ideal" standard for something as miniscule as having polish rated as VG....but everything else is on target.

In other cases, they may not be the creme de la creme of cuts, but they represent a great value for those who are willing to sacrifice a bit on cut to fit within their budget.

Their best cut stones....the superideals......are the ACA stones, and these are the cream of the crop.

EZ

Rough_Rock
BTT

Just had the same question and it took me a day to find the response. I hope a bump to top is not out of line as other newbies might like the info as well.

Carl

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
this question has come up alot since 2003 but it probably is buried in other threads so harder to search on...

I have had 2 ES stones and 3 of WF''s ACA stones. The naked eye cannot pick out the differences IF the ES stones are cut very precisely...and I have been very happy with both the ES and ACA stones...so it really would be about inventory but I''d always try to see what they had in ES first, the price savings is usually pretty good over ACA.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2005 1:57:03 PM
Author: Mara
this question has come up alot since 2003 but it probably is buried in other threads so harder to search on...

I have had 2 ES stones and 3 of WF''s ACA stones. The naked eye cannot pick out the differences IF the ES stones are cut very precisely...and I have been very happy with both the ES and ACA stones...so it really would be about inventory but I''d always try to see what they had in ES first, the price savings is usually pretty good over ACA.
does 5-7% sound about right?
34.gif
for the same grade stones.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have a WF ES, .776, J, VS2 and it''s incredible... I think they are the way to go. I can understand needing to *know* you have the best of the best, aka the ACA, but if you don''t have that issue, the ES are awesome.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2005 3:58:25 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
I have a WF ES, .776, J, VS2 and it's incredible... I think they are the way to go. I can understand needing to *know* you have the best of the best, aka the ACA, but if you don't have that issue, the ES are awesome.
I agree w/ Jennifer. This *needing to know you have "the best"* (in all aspects of diamond selection) seems to be the "strongest" sometimes with the newbies. It sure was for me. But I tried to learn well from the people here who I deeply respect. Now I'm all about finding the most incredible, most competively priced diamond.
30.gif
And wow, they're out there. It doesn't have to cost $30K (or more) to find a killer, honkin' stone. (YAY!)
36.gif

Lynn

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi Herbert,

It''s at least possible you''re comparing Expert Selection to a 3rd category, (not ACA or A Cut Above) where "ideal" refers to a classification WF gives to stones that are not in-house, in which case, if you see this description of "ideal" associated with them, it will also likely say something like: call for availability. WF does make available a large database of diamonds not in house, for which sufficient info is thought to be available about them, such that they can categorize them as: ideal, good cut, etc. If this is what you''re seeing...one could only speculate what how their bird in the hand would compare to that bird in the bush; generally, the expert selection could be the odds on favorite, but the ideal option could be a lucky find. What would not be known about the ideal candidate, in this case, are it''s proportions, among other things, and so their having called it "ideal" is, while only a best guess, is no different than what most reputable jewelers do, likewise.

If this is what you had meant, see also the suggestions at the link under my signature, for a strategy for comparing "ideals" against expert selections, where you can try to have you cake and eat it, too (where you basically ask for WF''s help in comparing two options in consideration.)

Regards,

OldBride

Rough_Rock
I purchased by diamond from Whiteflash, which I haven''t received yet (next week!!).
I was deciding betweent two stones, one was an ACA 2.13 J SI 2, and the other was an "expert selection" 2.04 J SI 1. When I asked Jamie to look at the stones, I was told that the ES stone was much cleaner and the ACA stone had some visible inclusions. I chose the ES on that basis. Also, when I put the two diamonds'' stats into the HCA, the ES diamond scored higher.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results