shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal cushion diamond studs upgrade from 1.08 to 1.4 cttw?

Wieke

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I need some help with my decision. I have just ordered a pair of ideal H&A BGD cushions for a pair of studs. I had to return them because of a problem with the setting and now while waiting for the re-set I started to wonder whether not to upgrade the stones while I can for free. This would be my first pair and I was at the beginning quite shy. From no studs to diamonds in my ears seemed a huge difference. Now that I am getting used to the idea I am wondering whether not to invest slightly more.

I am sportive, casual, with small earlobes and do not like too much blink actually and when I went to a couple of shops and tried on different sizes I felt comfortable with just around 1cttw. But I tried RB, not cushions. At the same time I am tall and worried about DSS and not someone who would tend to own tons of jewelry... so I will stick to this pair once it's mine I guess...

Plus I was saving my budger for a pendant which I will not buy in the end, so I am just thinking now that the budghet is available shall I invest more? Or shall I just stick to my plan?

Current pair would be 1.08 cttw E SI1 (there was not too much chance to find lower color)
New pair would be 1.48 cttw G SI1
The price difference 2.3K... Is it worth it?

Is 1.4 cttw too much for everyday?
If you had no budget issues but at the same time not a "bigger is always better" attitude what would you do?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Ideal cushion diamond studs upgrade from 1.08 to 1.4 ctt

Upgrade now. You'll. wear those studs all day everyday probably. I upgraded from 1.6 to 2.3 in two weeks (prob not the norm). But if you know you're not gonna get DSS you might be ok. (Unlikely from what I've seen on PS, but everyone is different.)

Sayde64

Rough_Rock

Hi Wieke

I know from your response to my thread that you and I are thinking through a similar dilemma.

I probably will not upgrade but from what you have said it seems you should do it. You had the funds set aside and it sounds like you really would like the larger size. Moreover, because you had to return the first studs you can make the change easily. The only question I would ask -- since you have small lobes, as I do -- will there be at least a small margin of ear lobe showing below the bottom of the new larger diamond? You didn't post photos so it is hard to tell what the 1.00 or 1.48 pair are going to look like when you are wearing them.

Let us know what you decide.

Wieke

Rough_Rock

Dear Sayde64 - unfortunately I cannot post real pictures since the studs are being made from the scratch and I did not find any comparable princess or other cuts to try on. But attached is a square diamond of 0.5 ct so the size of the first original pair would be something very similar. The heart fake is a bad example, but it is all I have to put into the ear and it is slightly bigger than the diamond, so it can give an idea about the coverage. I think it is not the earlobe's size with me but more the positioning of the holes that limits/influences the right size I can still wear without being too big. But I guess the 0.5ct or 0.7ct per ear are still good sizes without touching the fine line.

My idea is only whether the increase is worth the 2.3K? It will be not much of a difference and the ideal cuts will sparkle like mad... on the other had it's a once in a lifetime thing maybe, so I do not want to regret later once DSS hits me. They have the material back in the workshop, all is open, so I am in a bit of a different situation like you.

PS: you know what is funny? I had YOUR STONES on my invoice already a couple of weeks ago, then I switched to cushion shape!!! You made a great choice since I did it as well :)

_18061.jpg

_18062.jpg

_18063.jpg

Wieke

Rough_Rock

Hi LLJsmom - I was following a bit your discussion (not til the end to be honest, was too late in the night :))... I could also feel from the start that you were not happy. How do you like the new pair and did you upgrade the color as well?

Sayde64

Rough_Rock

Wieke, that is really funny! (You nearly bought the stones that I bought.) When I first started looking I had a pair of J stones on my invoice and I hesitated and then one of them was sold to someone else. I had been looking at the G/H pair but wasn't sure whether the additional cost would be justified. But when one of the J stones was sold, I immediately bought the G/H pair (and glad I did --I just needed to excuse to spend the extra $$$ to get a tiny bit more size and higher color. (worth it? who really knows. I could not compare the two pairs side by side.)

So, is it worth it for you to spend a couple thousand to upgrade? Honestly, you will never really know, but if you do not do it you might regret it. Especially since you have those funds that you had set aside for the pendant.

Wieke

Rough_Rock

I was feeling a bit bad about changing my mind like 3 times, but now that I hear about your experience I guess they are used to it :)

I can also only hope that while I am discussing here the other stones will not get sold... but then if "it's destiny" :) I need to make up my mind today, but am leaning more towards the upgrade. What do you think based on the pictures and my ears? I think it would be an OK difference, not too big yet.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Dear OP, I have not seen your original thread but your pictures prompted me to respond that I definitely think it is worth going with the larger size, they would still be very wearable every day but I find the proportions of the larger stone really nice with your earlobes. My only concern was the earlobe size but believe me yours are not that small, I have teeny earlobes making it practically impossible for me to wear studs and I love them, the 0.75 per diamond weight makes a big difference so I think they would be worth the upgrade. But then again only you can decide yourself what you like and what works for you. Studs are really versatile and great for everyday wear even in this size and fit a sporty style as well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, I would absolutely go to the larger stones in G color. G is plenty white, and since cushions usually face up smaller than rounds, I would go for the 1.4 ctw for sure.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wieke|1399964655|3671541 said:
Hi LLJsmom - I was following a bit your discussion (not til the end to be honest, was too late in the night :))... I could also feel from the start that you were not happy. How do you like the new pair and did you upgrade the color as well?
Hi Wieke, I did go up in color, to F/G. I don't have them yet so I will post pics when they arrive. DS makes a good point. Cushions do face up smaller. 1.4 would look fabulous on you!

Wieke

Rough_Rock

I went for the bigger stones. Cannot wait for the studs to be ready! Will keep you posted and thanks everyone!

Wieke

Rough_Rock

It's never too late for an update :)

So this was the size difference we were talking about (someone might find it helpful) and the final result. I am very pleased I went with the larger size, G is plenty of white and the H&A diamonds sparkle like there is no tomorrow... Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

05_07_compare.jpg

05_07_compare_real.jpg

briangavin_cushion_studs_1.jpg

20140604_124938.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results