shape
carat
color
clarity

Idea for a sticky?

W

westofhere

Given recent threads (which I’m guessing are eternally recurring, I’m newish here), I’m
wondering if it might be good to have a stickied thread on jewelry valuation and common misconceptions, including things like: jewelry markup, why it’s so high, and how it’s not an indicator of real “value”; gold carat as a factor of value; the myth that most jewelry “appreciates,” along with exceptions where that might be true; how to determine value, the unreliability of home equipment, the difference between asking the seller, asking a local jeweler (not an appraisal), getting an appraisal vs lab certification and how much the latter generally runs, etc etc. And then a rundown of the best reasons to buy jewelry—I.e, for pleasure, to mark occasions, etc—vs. as an “investment”. Just a thought.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, fyi, PS has an in-depth article touching on several of the appraisal-related topics you listed, under Education/Advanced Education
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamond_appraisers_why_you_need_one_and_what_expect

A few topics raised in your post involve subjective and/or changing factors (i.e., "best reason for buying jewelry" and certificate/appraisal fees and costs) so IMHO a sticky for those would be less helpful for the PS community and lurkers as compared to a PS member posting a new thread with a specific question which presumably would be discussed with up-to-date knowledge.

YMMV

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results