shape
carat
color
clarity

I'd like help refining my setting ideas for my spess.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the smooth finish and simplicity of the Singlestone design but not the price. I don't see what's wrong with using it as your inspiration setting and creating something similar but not quite for at least 1/2 the price.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1325988586|3097588 said:
I got a quote from Singlestone for $3700. :shock:

their quotes are insane! I got some and I just about died!! I think prices on metal and diamonds is through the roof though!!

I like the SS best so maybe see if they come down in price?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uppy, I just want to say that in setting that stone and using what basically amounts to a bezel, be aware it could deepen the color to something you may not want. I had that happen with one spess and I'm in the process of having changed out.

I do like the singlestone setting I have to admit, It gives me some pause based upon my own experience. I would say that if you like the current color, go with a much more open setting.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1326314749|3100628 said:
Uppy, I just want to say that in setting that stone and using what basically amounts to a bezel, be aware it could deepen the color to something you may not want. I had that happen with one spess and I'm in the process of having changed out.

I do like the singlestone setting I have to admit, It gives me some pause based upon my own experience. I would say that if you like the current color, go with a much more open setting.

-A

To expand on that. . . I think that a bezel or thick gallery enhances the orange color on yellowish orange spessartites. If the stone is brownish, I don't advise bezeling it. As for an orange color, no modifiers, of medium tone, I have a very thick halo around mine, and it doesn't seem to make it look too dark. I don't know if it would darken in a bezel, but it looks pretty good to me in the thick double halo I have it in now. It depends on the tone and the modifiers I think. Uppy, in your photos, your stone looks a little yellowish (is it?). If so, I think it would benefit from the metal around the stone.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Upgradable|1326294766|3100301 said:
Starzin, that twig ring is amazing!! I think the spess would look wonderful in that!! I'll bet I could get it recreated, and for much less due to the significantly smaller amount of gold needed. Maybe I could even afford 22K!

I'm pleased you like it Uppy, I know how hard it is once you have seen something you like (i.e the Singlestone) to then find something different. I'm with the others in that I don't feel the bezel settings are in the same street and may well darken or change the stone too much. The thing with the twig is that it is a prong setting which has a very open basket and will let your lovely spess show off - at least that's my reasoning :D

I mucked around with The Gimp and put your spess in the twig to give you some feel for it - the original setting was 14ct gold. It IS different, but if you're up for it I think it could look lovely.

ETA: Forgot to say that with these photos I'm sure you could get it recreated and a higher carat gold would be terrific. Not sure about 22K though as the higher you go the softer it is and could very well lead to dings in the twig but 18K is definitely a goer!

uppy-twig-front.png

goldtwig-under.jpg

goldtwig-side.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love the Singlestone setting, but think the price is ridiculous.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Very good point about a closed setting darkening the stone. One of the criteria that made me choose this stone is the color. I know it is not the most sought after pure orange, but more of a yellowish orange. That was the color I was looking for.

I've loved that SS for the longest time, and maybe I'm looking for a way to use it. But I don't like the thought of a mounting this expensive unless I'm going to wear it as a primary ring. I think I'm going to see if the twig type ring is doable. I really like the mock up! Thank you, Starzin. Don't let VapidLapid see it. She's my primary photoshopper, and I don't want her/him to get jealous! (just kidding, btw)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here's a comparison picture. The left shows the stone with the pavilion completely enclosed in tinfoil. The right hand is open. What do you think?

bezel spess.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to say.

The picture on the left is closer and the one on the right a little further away. While it looks a tad darker in the tin foil, it could be shadowing too. It's not a whole lot darker though. Is there a way you can colour the foil? I'm guessing that making the foil yellow might give you (and us) a more definitive answer.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
As Chrono says, it's really hard to say at that distance. Can you get a closer picture?

I think I'm going to see if the twig type ring is doable. I really like the mock up! Thank you, Starzin. Don't let VapidLapid see it. She's my primary photoshopper, and I don't want her/him to get jealous! (just kidding, btw)

:appl: Oh good for you Uppy! Will you stick with Adzia on this or get a couple of other quotes now that the expected expense won't be as much? Adzia has some "bark" texture bands on her site but they are a far cry from the twig, I have no idea how similar the techniques might be.

Absolutely wouldn't upset VL for the world - Mum's the word. ;))
I'm strictly a novice at graphics anyway and would appreciate lessons on how to put the stone behind the prongs!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here are giant pictures. The non-bezeled stone looks like it has a giant crack, but it doesn't. It's an artifact of the picture. But you can see the sugar-like inclusions.

bezel vs non.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'm nowhere near as experienced as the others in judging this but I think it appears a little darker in the foil. This however can also be attributed to the light striking the top of the stone differently because the foil comes up a bit and shadows it where a bezel won't act in quite the same way. Yet the gold of a bezel will give it's own tint I should imagine.

Now that you've got it in the stone holder perhaps you can gently flatten it a little more with a pair of tweezers - pity you haven't got any Ferrero Rocher chocolates laying around. Just for the gold foil of course :cheeky:

But you have it in hand, what do you think?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I quit. Thank you all for your help, but I'm waffling too much, and I don't have the money to do what I'd really like. I'm pushing too hard on this, and I'm afraid the quest is greater than the satifaction I'm going to have after the fact.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1326471264|3102103 said:
I quit. Thank you all for your help, but I'm waffling too much, and I don't have the money to do what I'd really like. I'm pushing too hard on this, and I'm afraid the quest is greater than the satifaction I'm going to have after the fact.

I have a yellowish orange Loliondo spessartite, and while it's not in a bezel, it's in a thick heavy gallery of 18K YG, and I think it makes the stone look more orange. HTH, and good luck. I don't think your quest is going to be super expensive if you go with an etsy jeweler, but again, that's up to you.

amertrine

Rough_Rock
Upgradable|1326471264|3102103 said:
thats really sad but you've gotta do what brings you the most joy.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uppy, please don't quit! Quit for little while only, but then come right back, please! I love that stone as I've told you before, and the first thing I noticed about it is its exquisite cutting. It is simply a beautiful cushion by Jeff. Instead of focusing on impact on color, I would recommend you look at settings that will show off the great cut. While the Singlestone is lovely, it would take away from the edges a bit. The twig setting would show it off better IMO.

That said, at the end of the day, if your heart is really set on the SS, save up for it and get it. There are so many times in my life where I have compromised on what makes my heart sing thinking I should do the financially responsible thing and get the affordable one. But sometimes you just know that you need to have your heart sing. Uppy, if that's the case, really at the end of the day, what would the price differential be between the two settings? And what if you did without two lattes per week, or got your car washed less often, or did your own nails once per month? How long would it take to add up to the differential? I just don't want to hear you say you quit :cry: :( it will make me sad too :((

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Well said Minous.

I too would be sad to see you quit on this, but maybe get a couple of quotes on the twig (did you hear back from WF and BGD on quotes for the SS?) and then sit back with info in hand and let it alone for a month. Then go back and look at it all and hopefully you will know which one tugs the heart strings most. Then maybe you will go full steam ahead on the twig...and maybe you'll decide to implement Minous' savings plan. Relax sweetie, you really don't have to decide this week but now you have two very lovely options when you are ready.

As much as I loved the SS originally, I too think the slimmer frame of the twig and the overall design, would look stunning set with your beautiful spess. It is gorgeous - and this comes from someone who never wears orange! - and deserves to find a home that will delight you and bring a smile to your face every time you put it on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results