shape
carat
color
clarity

ICA Reports Bridges was Killed in Kenya

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From: http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=27571

"RAPAPORT... The International Colored Gemstone Association (ICA) received an unconfirmed report that an unidentified mob in Kenya attacked legendary Scottish geologist and ICA director Campbell Bridges, his son Bruce and other parties over an unknown dispute at a mine in the Taita Taveta District in Tsavo National Park.
ICA stated that at this time reports indicate that Campbell did not survive the attack; the extent of Bruce Bridges’ injuries is unknown. The group also stated that Campbell’s body arrived in Nairobi a few hours ago accompanied by Bruce. Susie Kennedy, ICA ambassador to Kenya, and other ICA members are sending live reports to ICA headquarters in New York as they happen. Further details will be reported when they are received."

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s just shocking and terrible news. I''m so sorry to learn of this development to someone so important to the gemological profession and field work.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
OMG! Terrible news!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/11/2009 8:52:23 PM
Author:DiaGem

From: http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=27571

''RAPAPORT... The International Colored Gemstone Association (ICA) received an unconfirmed report that an unidentified mob in Kenya attacked legendary Scottish geologist and ICA director Campbell Bridges, his son Bruce and other parties over an unknown dispute at a mine in the Taita Taveta District in Tsavo National Park.

ICA stated that at this time reports indicate that Campbell did not survive the attack; the extent of Bruce Bridges’ injuries is unknown. The group also stated that Campbell’s body arrived in Nairobi a few hours ago accompanied by Bruce. Susie Kennedy, ICA ambassador to Kenya, and other ICA members are sending live reports to ICA headquarters in New York as they happen. Further details will be reported when they are received.''

For the ones interested....

http://www.tsavorite.com/history/campbell-bridges.html

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
tragic

horrible

beyond words . . .

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a tragic, shocking and most terrible news.
7.gif
my prayers are with the families

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The family is in my prayers. This is also a sobering reminder of what the gems we love can cost.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh my. What horrible news. I'm in shock. My prayers for the family. I hope Bruce recovers from any injuries.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2009 11:18:39 PM
Author: Harriet
The family is in my prayers. This is also a sobering reminder of what the gems we love can cost.

Harriet -- I thought one of the gem dealers we met in San Francisco last year was related to the man who discovered tanzanite....? I hope I got my anecdotes mixed up.

This is tragic regardless. And I agree, it does provide food for thought the lands the gems we love come from, and the many hands they pass through en route to our jewelry collections...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2009 1:23:45 AM
Author: VRBeauty

Harriet -- I thought one of the gem dealers we met in San Francisco last year was related to the man who discovered tanzanite....? I hope I got my anecdotes mixed up.

Nevermind... reading more carefully, I see that Mr. Bridges had a role in the introduction of tanzanite, rather than its discovery.

A sad situation still.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
That''s Africa for you.
8.gif

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
This is terrible and shocking news and a big loss to the gem industry. Wonder what triggered the attack. I hope Bruce Bridges make a speedy recovery.

AN

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2009 11:18:39 PM
Harriet,
I''m so sorry. I know you know them pretty well so this must be devastating news to you too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jaw dropped and I was too stunned to say anything for a few moments. My condolences to the family and wishes of a speedy recovery to all those who are injured. No words can describe the shock of reading such news.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
This is very sad indeed.

Africa is a very different place from where most of us live. The people there may handle disputes in a very different way from ours. They may resort to violence rather than with words or peaceful settlement. I think those in the gem trade that needs to travel there needs to be mindful of the risks. Some of our dear gem cutters who have travelled there may have brought back beautiful roughs for beautiful gems, but it does carry a certain degree of risk to their safety. I hope they pay close attention to their surroundings and keep themselves safe.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a tragedy. I am deeply shocked. My thoughts and prayers go to the Bridges family.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
That is terrible news, so tragic.
7.gif
My thoughts and prayers are with their famillies.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty, one of the men we met is Bruce.

Chrono, thanks.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/12/2009 2:07:30 AM
Author: kribbie
That''s Africa for you.

8.gif

That''s tragic kribbie.

According to newspaper accounts, the Bridges were ambushed by 30+ attackers while driving to their mine. Campbell was stabbed fatally while his son watched, unable to prevent the horror. Bruce was slashed across the neck while trying to assist his father but the injury was not life-threatening. He was able to drive to a hospital but arrived too late to save Campbell''s life.

The attackers were squatters who disputed the Bridges'' exclusive right to mine their 600 hectare property, even though a legal mining concession had been granted to them by the Kenyan government. It was a dispute that had gone on for three years and the Bridges complained local police did almost nothing to protect them and enforce their legal rights.

It''s the sad but now-familiar story of sub-Saharan Africa. People living in abject poverty naturally resent foreign development of resources they consider their own. Yet such development could not happen without foreign initiative and expertise, as well as markets. The post-colonial African story is one of tragedy piled on tragedy. And such a sad end for a man who contributed far more than most to the profession I love. Requiescat in pace, Mr. Bridges.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My goodness. I will certainly be keeping Mr. Bridges and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2009 8:29:41 PM
VRBeauty, one of the men we met is Bruce.

Harriet: I''m sorry this has happened to your friends. I have no doubt that I am speaking for everyone who was a part of that special meeting -- when it''s appropriate, if you have the opportunity, please let Bruce know of our condolences and concern.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
what a huge loss.Im so sorry to read the news.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rick,
Thank you for providing more details about the incident. It is horrifying to read. While I sympathize with both parties, I wish it didn’t have to lead to this.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
wow, I''m sitting here in total shock. That is so sad and terrible
7.gif
When we met Bruce last year he told us of the problems they have to deal with in the gem business in Africa. I''m so sad this had to happen to their company and family.

Harriet, I ditto VR Beauty.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 9:17:11 AM
Author: asscher_girl
wow, I''m sitting here in total shock. That is so sad and terrible
7.gif
When we met Bruce last year he told us of the problems they have to deal with in the gem business in Africa. I''m so sad this had to happen to their company and family.

Harriet, I ditto VR Beauty.
What terrible news.

Yes we had a chance to meet Bruce here in San Francisco. Really nice guy.

nwphew

Rough_Rock
My prayers go out to the family.

Unfortunately this is the price of doing business in Africa. This will always be a problem if foreigners are making a profit off of the natural resources without helping the people. Most of the land sold to investors have been taken away from farmers that were living on the land. When they see money being made off the land they use to live on, but not being put back into the country, they feel like they have been robbed. Most of them would like to see something done the help the people. If you do something small the people will do everything they can to protect you, but if you don''t do anything for them they will do anything to run you away. Most of the governments know there own people and know what is going to happen, so they will not do anything to proect a foreigner, unless you are doing something to help them. Once the government gets paid they can really care less about what goes on.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
So tragic! My heartfelt condolences go the family and speedy recovery for Bruce!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
An interview with Bruce Bridges has been posted here!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
nwphew,
Please take my word that Campbell Bridges gave back to the community.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results