shape
carat
color
clarity

I was today years old when I discovered…. Breast milk jewellery…

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Little did I think I would ever come across a type of “gemstone” that I wouldn’t at least have a passing interest in. Until I saw this. https://breastmilkjewellery.com/

I hope I don’t offend anyone who might have one of these keepsake pieces but the thought of this makes me somehow queasy. Then I read on and found you can actually turn pieces of placenta or umbilical cord into pendants and earrings and I was just “Yeah, I’ll get my coat”.

So how many PSers would love the idea of creating jewellery with their own bodily fluids / tissues?!

Last edited:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
...that would be a hard-pass for me. The very idea makes me feel queasy. :???:

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
No. Just no...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a nope from me too!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I should have made it a poll LOL!!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I confess I think I’ve got the fallen off bits of umbilical cord and clips from my children somewhere. They are, however, (if I’ve still got them!) firmly stored away with their baby ID hospital ankle bracelet and probably the first baby tooth they lost. I would never dangle them from my earlobes as jewellery though! :sick:

Last edited:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I guess as a mom who breastfed one child (and struggled mightily to do so) and is currently breastfeeding another, it doesn't gross me out. Since I work in the ER that may be related to motherhood, it may be related to my profession, or it may just be that very little grosses me out. It seems like a nice way to honor something that no one else seems to value or honor (except with lip service). Those who have pumped (or attempted to pump) for their babies at work in the US probably understand what I mean.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose it’s slightly more preferable than making pate out of a placenta :sick:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a beautiful way to memorialize a special once in a lifetime bond & I'd have one made in a heartbeat. I'm also incredibly sentimental though...like you're talking to a girl that is saving her daughters baby teeth to have a set of solid gold chandelier earrings made someday out of milk teeth so....

I think it's lovely! I have my daughter's umbilical cord shaped in a heart in her baby book. I also found out that I have a "horned" uterus, but only slightly which results in my uterus & placenta being heart shaped so I have the sweet prints my midwives spontaneously made for me which I cherish to no end. It looks like a heart shaped tree with a twisting DNA structured trunk.

I adore & cherish it all! Even others antique pieces that include hair. There's some really beautiful pieces that have been made with sentimental artifacts from the body.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder how durable these things are?

It reminds me a little bit of the mourning jewellery the Victorians liked so much. Although slightly less macabre. I’ve seen examples with hair and teeth as well as other memorial items.

I totally understand sentimentality but it’s definitely the “biowaste” connotation which creeps me out. As a mother I totally support breastfeeding but I honestly wouldn’t want ANY bodily fluid made into something wearable.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen some Victorian pendants made with glass lockets with locks of hair inside which I personally wouldn't wear but the Victorian's were very much in to mourning & death so it was not uncommon for them to wear such items as jewellery. I have to admit that I have seen some very pretty cremation ashes jewellery made into rings & pendants in various different colours like pink & blue that I would wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results