shape
carat
color
clarity

I want to change my china pattern. Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
When I got married, my husband to be didn''t like the china patterns I wanted. I was like, uh, why do you care? But anyhoo, we settled on one and now, I don''t like it. We have never used so far. We have been married for 3.5 years and never had a holiday gathering because shortly after we got married, we built a new house which took 16 months from contract signing and we have lived in it for a while now but we haven''t decorated the dining room yet due to cash flow shortages.

So, we were staying at this bed and breakfast and I loved their china. I think it would go more appropriately with our decor (which I didn''t know when I picked out the original). I looked at it today at Marshall Field''s and it was very expensive so I googled it when I got home and it was much cheaper. I can get 12 place settings for almost half of what they wanted at fields online and pay no sales tax or shipping.
Obviously, we were given the original china as wedding gifts but since I have never used it and it has been a few years, I figure no one who comes over (my inlaws) will realize it is a different pattern. But I have to do it BEFORE they see any china in my house.

Also, I have to convince my husband. Can this work?
Here is the new pattern:

wedgwood_oberon.jpg

And here is the old one:
wedgwood_juliet.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I changed my china pattern within two years of marriage--going from a very plain one to something slightly more ornate. No regrets. I was fortunate however, that most of my china was still in it''s boriginal boxes and most were purchased from the same chain--Royal Daulton. They took my old pattern (10 place settings) and exchanged it for 10 of my new pattern. I paid the difference.

Again my tastes have changed and with the surgence of new patterns, I once again would like something else. But this time, I''ll just outright buy another one.

I love the one you have would like to change to. Good luck.

cheers--Sharon

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the new one. If you like to entertain you could always promise hubby if you can get the new stuff you will entertain more! Maybe you could sell yours to a China company like Replacements? I am not sure how it works but know they stock tons of patterns, so if you ever needed an odd piece of your pattern that is a great place to check (like if a serving piece broke). They may only deal with hard to find or discontinued stuff, but I am not too sure. Good luck!

PS I remember a story about some very wealthy baroness, Baroness de Rothschild, who had a huge room with shelving with all types of china, with service for three digit affairs. I always thought that was so decadent and stylish...and she used to make a note of the menu served and which pattern she used so she did not duplicate with the same guest! A lot of work to go to, in my house you are lucky to get a matching unchipped plate!

plantationcatt

Shiny_Rock
New is more cheery. Love it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! Every few years I have found a pattern that I LOVED so much more than the one before! I''m out of cabinet space! Just realize that this may not be the pattern you love for a lifetime either. A lot of people like the white like your original because it does allow the flexibility of changing the linen colors. But there''s nothing wrong with having more than one set in any event!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I got some crazy china when I got married. (it was not expensive but more than I'd pay myself) . I sold it all on ebay. What was I thinking? Yuck! But now, I have a nice plain white. My MIL showed me her good china (in the ORIGINAL packaging LOL)....never used. I like a nice white and can use pretty chargers when I entertain depending on the season/holiday)...
I would just suggest maybe getting something plain- do you know your tastes won't change again?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
you can have more than one china pattern. I d0!

go get what you want, hunney. if money is tight sell the old and buy one place setting at a time.

hint: buy the requisite number of place settings only. then use glass, pewter or some other neutral serving pieces that will go with all your china

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 7:47:20 AM
Author: ladykemma
you can have more than one china pattern. I d0!

go get what you want, hunney. if money is tight sell the old and buy one place setting at a time.

hint: buy the requisite number of place settings only. then use glass, pewter or some other neutral serving pieces that will go with all your china
LK,
I always like the way you put things.
It isn''t really $$. It is more timing. We have a fairly new house and lots of stuff to do still in the way of decorating. I just saw such a good bargain on the new pattern I thought it might go away.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results