shape
carat
color
clarity

I think it's getting ready to go down again (Covid)

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work on a military base. Found out yesterday a base not far from us (35 miles) moved to HPCON Bravo+ (Health Protection Condition Bravo+) this is one step away from sending their people home again. I am just waiting for our base to do the same, units have already started cancelling events they had planned, and our Airshow will most likely be cancelled. Our office just ordered a bunch more masks, hand sanitizer and Lysol Disinfecting wipes. Toilet paper and water are already disappearing off base. School starts next week and parents and students can't even get word on who their child's teachers are. I believe the schools are just waiting, thinking they will be closed again. Parents have called the schools and they are just getting blown off about it. It's about to get ugly again.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This worries me as we're looking to you guys to see an indication of what will happen to us.

Is it Delta? Because the vaccines should work to avoid death and hospitalisation. Is it the anti vaccers? Surely they're not locking down to protect anti vaccers? I'm genuinely concerned because we've been told when we reach 80% vaccination we would be more "free."

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
It's already going down. As of yesterday there is not a single pediatric ICU bed available in TX. My colleague in Maryland got a call to see if we had an adult ICU bed...for a patient in Florida. My state's positivity rate has gone from 0.5% (yes, that's correct) to 5% in about 8 weeks.

this is the surge of the unvaccinated. Healthcare workers are over it.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
This worries me as we're looking to you guys to see an indication of what will happen to us.

Is it Delta? Because the vaccines should work to avoid death and hospitalisation. Is it the anti vaccers? Surely they're not locking down to protect anti vaccers? I'm genuinely concerned because we've been told when we reach 80% vaccination we would be more "free."

US isn’t a good indicator as they never got close to 80%.

Israel is a better example but news not great either

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's already going down. As of yesterday there is not a single pediatric ICU bed available in TX. My colleague in Maryland got a call to see if we had an adult ICU bed...for a patient in Florida. My state's positivity rate has gone from 0.5% (yes, that's correct) to 5% in about 8 weeks.

this is the surge of the unvaccinated. Healthcare workers are over it.

@wildcat03 This is scary, frustrating, and sad. Have you seen a lot of breakthrough infections in the vaccinated?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it will. The universe has a sense of humor. I leave for South Dakota with my grandmother in the morning. That pretty much means that everything will hit the fan and lockdowns ensue within the next week. (Don't take that as defeatist as it sounds :lol: as I am going in knowing this and prepared to get creative if I have to. Possibly buy a car and drive home. Possibly borrow a car from family to drive home then return it when flights open again. Whatever works!)

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, it will. The universe has a sense of humor. I leave for South Dakota with my grandmother in the morning. That pretty much means that everything will hit the fan and lockdowns ensue within the next week. (Don't take that as defeatist as it sounds :lol: as I am going in knowing this and prepared to get creative if I have to. Possibly buy a car and drive home. Possibly borrow a car from family to drive home then return it when flights open again. Whatever works!)

Oh, my......please be careful! I know you've planned this for a long time now, and your grandmother is looking forward to it so much. I hope it's uneventful (in a good way). I haven't looked for a couple days, but I did see a couple days ago that South Dakota was doing better than an awful lot of other states.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I work on a military base. Found out yesterday a base not far from us (35 miles) moved to HPCON Bravo+ (Health Protection Condition Bravo+) this is one step away from sending their people home again. I am just waiting for our base to do the same, units have already started cancelling events they had planned, and our Airshow will most likely be cancelled. Our office just ordered a bunch more masks, hand sanitizer and Lysol Disinfecting wipes. Toilet paper and water are already disappearing off base. School starts next week and parents and students can't even get word on who their child's teachers are. I believe the schools are just waiting, thinking they will be closed again. Parents have called the schools and they are just getting blown off about it. It's about to get ugly again.

I live about 10 miles from the biggest base in my state, where over the years my father spent his entire career as a civilian defense researcher, and I, my brother, his wife, and my husband are currently working, or have worked in the past, for defense contractors. They just today went to Bravo+ as well.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my......please be careful! I know you've planned this for a long time now, and your grandmother is looking forward to it so much. I hope it's uneventful (in a good way). I haven't looked for a couple days, but I did see a couple days ago that South Dakota was doing better than an awful lot of other states.

Definitely bad timing! I wish I could postpone and know it would be able to happen. Everyone we are going to see (and both of us) is vaccinated. I got hold of good quality n95 masks for the airport and airplane. Small town staying with family so minimal exposures. My biggest worry is the airline shutting down once we get there. Bringing three full weeks of meds in case we end up having to stay extra and drive.

Sad to say I don't know that she would be able to make the trip if I postponed 6 months and who knows what COVID will look like even then.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems are they having problems with opening schools because there are too many teachers out with Covid?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
a very worrying time especially for the unvaccinated
Perhaps its time for a hard lockdown and put this dreadful thing to bed once and for all
Stay safe everybody
@mellowyellowgirl are your kids ok in school right now ?
Screenshot_20210819-094130.png

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
a very worrying time especially for the unvaccinated
Perhaps its time for a hard lockdown and put this dreadful thing to bed once and for all
Stay safe everybody
@mellowyellowgirl are your kids ok in school right now ?
Screenshot_20210819-094130.png

Ummm that information is just blatantly not true about schools

They are open for kids of essential workers. The rest of us have been told we are to keep our kids at home. The majority of kids have been at home for two months. There are only a handful of teachers at school to supervise kids of essential workers.

We can't leave our suburb to work etc unless we are an essential worker and even then we need a covid test every 3 days to leave the suburb.

Omg who is making this stuff up???? No wonder they keep complaining our lockdown is light!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ummm that information is just blatantly not true about schools

They are open for kids of essential workers. The rest of us have been told we are to keep our kids at home. The majority of kids have been at home for two months. There are only a handful of teachers at school to supervise kids of essential workers.

We can't leave our suburb to work etc unless we are an essential worker and even then we need a covid test every 3 days to leave the suburb.

Omg who is making this stuff up???? No wonder they keep complaining our lockdown is light!!!

Good to know
You now seem just that little bit safer to me

I usually only trust the otago daily times (my hometown newspaper, fiercely independent and the oldest continuous daily in NZ) but this was from stuff- (an organisation with no proof readers) who publish the majority of newspapers in NZ

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've not read what strain is most prevalent anywhere. My future son-in-law was infected this past weekend, I just found out, he got it from a vaccinated co-worker who had a breakthrough case, now he is sick and I fear for my daughter who lives with him and is health compromised.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems are they having problems with opening schools because there are too many teachers out with Covid?

No, I haven't heard of any issues to that fact, only they are afraid to put things out and then it all get closed again. Both school districts have mask mandates as of today.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My future son-in-law was infected this past weekend, I just found out, he got it from a vaccinated co-worker who had a breakthrough case, now he is sick and I fear for my daughter who lives with him and is health compromised. They are unvaccinated due to their fears of the Vaccine. I did counsel them that they should get it but they are young and know more than me...….

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live about 10 miles from the biggest base in my state, where over the years my father spent his entire career as a civilian defense researcher, and I, my brother, his wife, and my husband are currently working, or have worked in the past, for defense contractors. They just today went to Bravo+ as well.

Are you east coast?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last updated 11:45 a.m., Aug. 18, 2021.
5,256 Newly Reported Cases

13.2% Daily Percent Positive

2,930 Currently Hospitalized

13,952 Total Deaths

63%* Percent of Adult Population Vaccinated with at Least One Dose

59%* Percent of Adult Population Fully Vaccinated

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry @autumngems , I hope your DD and Son-in-Law do ok. I know exactly what you are dealing with. I have the same issue
with my oldest son. He told me I need to turn off the TV (since I'm so scared of covid)...we have had a falling out over it. The
whole situation is so sad. We do our best and hope for a good outcome. :(sad

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember the Cares Act? We would get a certain period of time off (10-14 days) if we contracted COVID. Not anymore we have to use our own leave now.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems , The Delta variant is now the dominate strain in the US. This strain is as contagious as the chicken pox. Please ask your daughter to quarantine herself away from her fiance. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. It’s scary. Many of us are dealing with family members who refuse get vaccinated.

There are threads on PriceScope with information regarding the virus from reliable news sources that are being updated daily by PSers.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@autumngems , The Delta variant is now the dominate strain in the US. This strain is as contagious as the chicken pox. Please ask your daughter to quarantine herself away from her fiance. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. It’s scary. Many of us are dealing with family members who refuse get vaccinated.

There are threads on PriceScope with information regarding the virus from reliable news sources that are being updated daily by PSers.

I have tried but so far they won't listen. I've told them, listen to Dr.'s not rumors.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices in the supermarkets have definitely gone up as a result of hardships all over.
And there are food items we cannot get right now.

But so far our stores have plenty of Lysol and TP etc. and I hope that continues.
I don't see people hoarding items nor do I see the limits imposed that we saw last year.

I really hope it is not going back to what we dealt with Spring-Summer 2020.
Fingers crossed.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices in the supermarkets have definitely gone up as a result of hardships all over.
And there are food items we cannot get right now.

But so far our stores have plenty of Lysol and TP etc. and I hope that continues.
I don't see people hoarding items nor do I see the limits imposed that we saw last year.

I really hope it is not going back to what we dealt with Spring-Summer 2020.
Fingers crossed.

Did people that got covid actually need extra toilet paper? I heard that it may cause some stomach issues but those issues
seem to be pretty far down on the list of Covid symptoms. Seems like it was a scare for no reason? I remember having to
get up and be at the store by 6:30 am to be in line for toilet paper...ah, good times :cheeky::nono:.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did people that got covid actually need extra toilet paper? I heard that it may cause some stomach issues but those issues
seem to be pretty far down on the list of Covid symptoms. Seems like it was a scare for no reason? I remember having to
get up and be at the store by 6:30 am to be in line for toilet paper...ah, good times :cheeky::nono:.

I have no clue why people hoarded toilet paper. Nor paper towels. Unless in a scary out of control situation they try to control something and somehow it gave them an illusion of control?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

soooooo I have to say that um.. yeah you can sometimes have it coming out both ends (one of my nieces did). I was lucky with one end only....lol But I didn't hoard toilet paper no more than I normally do. But, if you have a family and everyone gets covid....you'd probably wish for a couple of extra bathrooms, just sayin.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no clue why people hoarded toilet paper. Nor paper towels. Unless in a scary out of control situation they try to control something and somehow it gave them an illusion of control?

I thought it was because people expected to be staying home and not going to stores, etc. so they stocked up on those types of things. But maybe that was just my assumption.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results