shape
carat
color
clarity

I think it looks funny...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, my Burmese H(a) ruby, I have shown it here. Today I decided to see what "fluorescence" means.

Pic. 1

Conditions: close to a thick window, little sun, tiny blicks of sun on my leather couch. The ruby is placed on the couch, facing the window.

rubywithfluo2.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next one: same couch, the ruby is turned from the window, some sun still shining on it

rubwithminfluo3.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the other corner of the room (much darker)

rubywofluo1.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it is called fluorescence...
I shall try tomorrow under direct sun

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
The different way the light plays on the stone is very cool.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
To really showcase these effects, I guess the best thing would be to show it in a photo where we can also see light and shadow. For instance if there''s some sunlight shining on your sofa, you could try to place the stone close to that area, so that you catch this light and shadow in the photo, and that we can evaluate just how much light there is around the stone. Nice ruby btw!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovely ruby! The photos are very interesting - could you try Mr Ma Re''s suggestions as well, please?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst you can see fluorescence in strong sunlight, you can''t all the time and what you might be seeing is just the stone looking lighter and brighter.

If you want to really see if your Ruby has fluor, do a search on Ebay for a UV black light pen. They are very cheap. Then in a dimly lit room, shine it on your Ruby and if it has fluorescence you''ll see it very easily.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
very pretty ruby :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 11:39:33 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Whilst you can see fluorescence in strong sunlight, you can''t all the time and what you might be seeing is just the stone looking lighter and brighter.

If you want to really see if your Ruby has fluor, do a search on Ebay for a UV black light pen. They are very cheap. Then in a dimly lit room, shine it on your Ruby and if it has fluorescence you''ll see it very easily.
OK bought the pen. I guess it will come in handy with other stones, too.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 11:39:33 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Wow, what a neat trick!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it will take me several days to get it, though - and of course, I happened to buy the most expensive one. Funny, we had about 5 of them in the house (kids use them) but everything disappears here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results