shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I''m finally at ease w/a new purchase... here it is:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

utah22

Rough_Rock
So... after not sleeping the other night, calling the jeweler and saying I don''t have a good feeling about the first ring, I went back last evening and saw some more rings and iI finally think I''m comfortable with my purchase... Here''s what I ended up getting (now I''ll just be in agony until I see the final mounted ring!)

Thanks to Belle for the encouragement, Paul Slegers, Ana (with her 0.02 worth), Anglea, and One For Life for the setting pictures!!

1.22ctw
Princess Cut
5.96 x 5.85 x 4.23
Color - F
Clarity - SI1
Depth - 72.3%
Table - 71%
Girdly - Ext Thin to Thick
Culent - None
Polish - Good
Symmetry - Good
Flouresc. - None
GIA Laser Inscribed

The mounting is going to be set in white gold w/some filagree work, similar to this picture....that Belle doctored up for me to see how it''d look w/a Princess set in it (thanks again!)

I THINK I got a fairly decent deal with a price of $7575 out the door... so that''s a custom made ring, with 8 small diamonds of a total weight around .40ctw VS1 or higher, and including the tax. Takes me a bit with the whole buyer''s remorse thing, hoping I got a good deal.... but now I just hope when I see it, all of that anxiety will go away & I''ll know this is the ring for her!!!!

35.gif

Cheers,
Jon
bettprince.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
yay! you did it! i am sure that when you get the finished ring, you will be very, very happy..........
congratulations!
36.gif

utah22

Rough_Rock
Thanks Belle!

You''re great for the encouragment! I''m a little worried about the girdle (and I don''t exactly know the crown height, because GIA doesn''t offer it) but everything else seems to be in line with what I''m looking for.

I figure for a quick 2 week search... having 5 out of 6 or 7 things isn''t too bad?!?!
19.gif
19.gif

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I agree with your concern that the girdle of extremely thin to think is bothersome. Especially, for princess cuts, I have a read a lot about the corners/girdles getting chipped. I don''t mean to scare you. Ask for a sarin report before mounting the stone on the setting. A sarin will tell you about crown/pavilion height and angles. Since this could be one the most important purchases of your life, take time to know everything before you finish the deal. Good luck.

utah22

Rough_Rock
Kevin,

I read a post by Oldminer who explained how the girdles get rated and he explained it beautifully that it may not be the majority of the girdle at all... but rather a small portion of the corner, etc, that gets the downgraded rating.

With that said, there is a very small chip on one of the corners that is noted on the GIA report. I questioned this with the guy and he said with the "V-hold" 4-corner setting that we''re going to use to set the diamond, that this will cover it up and protect it.

Would this bode true? Or would this potentially cause undue pressure on that area that''s already got a small chip on it and cause further breakage or chipping?

Man, I''ve already gone back to this guy twice now. I bet these guys have to be used to pains like me, though! Is there any way I can get a Sarin report on the ring? He gave me a copy of the GIA cert.... or can only jewelers get that?

Jon

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there''s already a chip? considering that this is a princess.......proceed cautiously! most of the problems with princess (and the thin girdle issue) comes with the setting process. i''m not sure how a chip will effect the finished product in this case. and yes, you should be able to get a sarin.....
(gone to look for a bench guy..........)

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Once you get the diamond set on a diamond, there is no way to get a sarin. To be able to get a sarin, the diamond needs to be loose.

utah22

Rough_Rock
You know what? I''ve only given this guy $500 bucks as a deposit. I am going to call him and cancel the diamond order and see if he''ll maybe just do the ring for me.

I just found one that is almost identical, although it''s got a better girdle grade, and is priced at $6686. So, I would also avoid the tax this way. There is not a chip listed on this GIA report either.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00186654

What do you guys think about this one, and cancel the order thru the other guy??? I can get the diamond by Friday if I order today.... and then drop it off this weekend somewhere to have the ring built?
Heck, I can cancel that check too if need be!

That chip has me worried...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
whew! i thought you had bought the diamond already! i was worried that kevinraja was bagging on your bought diamond, making you feel even worse about your purchase......
so, are you in a hurry? (forgive me if you''ve mentioned this already) diamond buying is a big deal--perhaps once in a lifetime. if you have time, look around some more. it would be beneficial. the diamonds that you have been looking at are typical jewelery store stones (not that great). you can do better, no doubt.

utah22

Rough_Rock
Yes, unfortunately I am in a hurry. I need this by this weekend, so that I can have it set in the setting to take on a trip (where I"m proposing) on Feb 3rd.

So, even the one I found on Blue Nile you don''t think is anything good either???
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00186654

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
not too bad!! will the setting be done by this weekend?

utah22

Rough_Rock
OK... over my lunch break I went & looked at the first stone again and the guy assured me that the "chip" is below the surface and isn''t on the girdle at all.

We looked over the Blue Nile one together, and while it appears pretty good, there is a "natural" in it. He explained how those are on the surface & I should really beware of those.

He assured me that the corner "chip" will be under the V-prong and that there will be no way it''ll be pressured into getting bigger by the setting. He then guaranteed his worksmanship to me for LIFE, that if anything happens due to the setting, he''ll guarantee a replacement.... He then said for me to do what makes me feel good at the end of the day, which was nice to know I wasn''t getting an over the top hard sale...

We also went over girdles (similar to what old miner said) and he showed how the extra thin could potentially only make up one small part of the stone... and that he doesn''t usually buy ANY extra thins, however this one was only on a small portion of the girdle...

basically... I''m back to being at ease, and not an anal consumer again. I think I''m ready to leave the poor guy alone!!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
no matter what you decide, you need to be happy. whatever it takes to acheive that, go for it! best of luck!

utah22

Rough_Rock
You got it Belle!!

Happiness isn''t in the ring... ..

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Utah don''t freak out. Your vendor might be right about the chip.

Generally people tend to freak out just before or after purchasing a high priced item. I did, after purchasing a 1.71 emerald cut. Anyway, the pricncess on blunile looks great, except that the inclusions are right under the table. What about the inclusions on the stone that you are setting with the local vendor? Are they right under the table? Can you post a pic or something? Do not forget to ask a SARIN from the vendor, before he sets the stone, that way you know more about the stone. It should cost him a little to do the sarin. The only reason I am asking for sarin is know the crown height. If it is between 9-15%, then everything is great. If the crown height is 7 or under, you might be in trouble, as there won''t be any fire (rainbow colors) at all.

I understand you are in a hurry, but try to pull as much information from you vendor. Don''t let him go easily. Unless you like the stone so much, and think it is sparkly, firy, brilliant and beautiful, then NOTHIN ELSE MATTERS.

utah22

Rough_Rock
THanks Kev...

I talked to him & said I need to know the crown report from him before he sets it. Hopefully all works out for me. And I agree... I''m just freaking out before I buy it... probably normal (especially for me on a big purchase such as this.)

There''s no way to get the crown height AFTER it''s set, right? Since the only way to do that is a Sarin report?

utah22

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah... forgot to mention that the diamond I am purchasing the inclusions ARE right under the table as well, probably why the SI1 rating. Can''t detect them with the naked eye though. I''m sure if I''d have gone up a notch or so on the clairity, it would have pushed me out of my budget... so that''s the area I was willing to compromise on the most, clarity. I really wanted the stone to have a good color and cut, were 2 of my more important areas.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Since princess cut has more facets, the inclusions shouldn't be problem as long as they are apparent to your naked-eye.

utah22

Rough_Rock
There''s one angle of looking at it where, if you knew where it was, you MIGHT be able to tell... so he''s going to set that away from the angle in which she would probably look at the ring. So IF there were any way she could detect it, she''d REALLY have to be hunting for something.

oh well... I''m now just focused on having an awesome proposal, hoping the ring turns out really nice in the setting, and enjoying our upcoming vacation!

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Best of luck to all!
cheers,
jon

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Do keep us posted of your proposal and if possible, pics of your ring.

All the best.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Is there any way of getting that stone to an independent appraiser before it is set just to make certain that the chip is not detrimental and does not affect the value? I have found thet jewelers will tell you anything you want to hear in order to make a sale, particularly if they do not have anything else on hand.

I know I am coming into this late but have you tried calling some of the highly regarded vendors here, such as Nice Ice, GoodOldGold, Whiteflash, Engagement Rings Direct, etc. to see if they have anything that meets your needs and will fit in the setting? They can get a stone out very quickly--overnight by Fedex if they have it in their inventory or in a few days if they have to send for it.

I would not take a chance on having any stone set until it is examined by an independent appraiser. I don't want to butt in but if you are in a hurry to present her with a ring, maybe you could propose with just the setting and take a little more time looking for a stone. Or does that sound ridiculous?

She will be wearing this for a long time and I think you should be sure you are getting the best you can for the money. Perhaps one of the appraisers who post frequently on this site can tell you how a chip in the corner of the stone effects the value. Maybe it means nothing and I am leading you in the wrong direction. If I have caused you any confusion I am sorry.

I note that you are in Chicago and there is an appraiser under resources located in Chicago. Is it too late to do this?

utah22

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the concern... and I''m definitely somewhat concerned myself. The problem is that it takes about a week for them to make the setting & have the ring set (or so I''m told.) I''m leaving for a golf trip this coming Monday for a week to Naples, FL, and won''t return to Chicago until Saturday. We then leave the following Thursday for our trip, where I''m planning on making the proposal.

I''m TOLD that the setting will not affect the diamond at all. I made sure the guy gave me a refund policy if, for whatever reason, I am or she is, unhappy with the ring. I plan on taking the ring to an indepedent appraiser, but probably only after it is set. The jeweler said that he would buy the diamond back from me if there''s a problem (but I''m stuck with the custom made setting, which I don''t have a problem with unless it turns out awful.)

So, obviously he''s confident enough about the stone to offer to buy it back. He is also confident that nothing will happen to it during the setting, as I''ve told him I do plan on taking it to be appraised upon getting it. So all of this has eased my mind (somewhat.) I still am always going to be leery about a purchase where I''m not the expert on the subject.

Right now I''m just crossing my fingers & hoping for the best!
4.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck and have a great trip. Keep us posted on how the proposal goes!! And hand pics when you get a chance!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results