shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I may have found a photographer...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So Vegas is kind of weird, and there is a company that apparently does all of the wedding photography for all of the hotels, so they have a bit of a monopoly on the place. Well Mandalay Bay won''t let an outside photographer into their chapel for the ceremony. I''ve been thinking of ways to circumvent this and considered having friends take lots of pictures, having a friend who is an amateur photographer pose as a "guest" taking pictures, etc. Finally I decided to give into MB''s silliness, and let them have their hour of photography (1/2 hour ceremony, 1/2 hour afterward). This is included in our package, along with 2 8x10s and 24 5x7s.

Well that wasn''t good enough. Lol. I used to be (when I first went back to school for a BA) a fine arts major, and my interest was in photography. Then it went to art history, but then the foreign language requirement scared me into psychology. So photos are important to me.

They aren''t to my FI. Oh well. So I decided that photos were too important to me to just have the ceremony and pictures of people afterward. I wanted the story of the day. I wanted the shoe shot. I wanted the jewelry shots, I wanted candid photos, and I wanted something artistic. Hotel photogs don''t thrive on that.
2.gif

Not to mention, they charge a king''s ransom for negatives.

So I started looking. I had some help from the Las Vegas Knotties, and a couple friends who gave me some opinions. And it boiled down to two. One is a girl--probably a bit like me, a little zany and fun. The other was more artistic, serious, and not primarily a wedding photographer.

Well, photographer #2 won. The deciding factor was style. I loved that this photog captured the feeling, the moment as it was instead of putting his own spin on what was going on. I loved that he''s not primarily a wedding photographer, and is instead the Director of Film and Photography at the Las Vegas Contemporary Dance Theater. And he takes beautiful photos. So he''ll be there for the beginning, take a break during the ceremony and after, and then be there into the reception. Yay!

Jason James Skinner Photography

So I''m excited. And he''s promised to take great photos of my shoes and jewelry. Can''t beat that, right?!
3.gif

(If you go to his site, be on the lookout for the nude ballerina on pointe, the guy at the piano, and so many more...these are the kinds of photos I would love to have been able to take...)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
WOW hun his work is just WOW - the first shot I saw just made me smile and it just kept going you will have stunning photos

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I agree. Wow wow wow wow WOW!!!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning! I am now even more impatient to see your wedding photos!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every awesome addition to your wedding makes me even more excited for you!!!! Congrats on getting an awesome photog!

luvbug

Shiny_Rock
Awesome congrats!!
You really can''t beat him promising great pics of your shoes and ring LOL!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great choice, Freke! His pictures look awesome!

Now I am already excited for your pro pics.
11.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
LOVE IT.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Awesome! I love his dance shots!!!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a great choice!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''m pretty excited. I''m trying to figure out what all I want him to take pictures of. And we''re going to have a photo shoot a few days before the wedding to get to know each other, and to get more comfortable in front of the camera. I have no idea what to wear. Eek!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
wowza! what a great decision---can''t wait to see your pics!!

Freke
23.gif
He''s actually cheaper than what I''m paying the hotel!!! I really like his work! I must look into this.. I just assumed the hotel would be cheaper (Cashman, right?)

36.gif
On finding what you want! And I totally agree on the "story of the day".

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 6:11:29 PM
Author: swedish bean
Freke
23.gif
He''s actually cheaper than what I''m paying the hotel!!! I really like his work! I must look into this.. I just assumed the hotel would be cheaper (Cashman, right?)

36.gif
On finding what you want! And I totally agree on the ''story of the day''.
Yeah Cashman.
38.gif

He''s a newbie--only been out of school for three years, but I really like what I see, and he''s really reasonable. Plus he seems really nice.

Just curious, how much did they tell you it would cost for the negatives?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
A.MAZ.ING! He is so incredibly talented. I cannot wait to see the final product.

Date: 10/20/2009 8:50:25 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 10/20/2009 6:11:29 PM

Freke
23.gif

36.gif
On finding what you want! And I totally agree on the ''story of the day''.

Yeah Cashman.
38.gif

He''s a newbie--only been out of school for three years, but I really like what I see, and he''s really reasonable. Plus he seems really nice.

Just curious, how much did they tell you it would cost for the negatives?

They actually wouldn''t give me a price but I was going through the hotel at that point. Just for them to BE THERE for an extra 2 hours (aside from the what, 5 min ceremony) was over $600. It includes an additional 2 5x7''s and a few 4x6''s...
32.gif
To be $600 is a lot of money for just a few pictures. The next step up I believe was $900?? They were very vague with me over the phone and played the game of "he said, she said".

I''m curious what did they quote you?

To me, it''s pointless to pay for the extra photography if you only 6 get prints and then the extra images are more than the wedding package
40.gif

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Freke, he is amazing!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 12:07:45 AM
They actually wouldn''t give me a price but I was going through the hotel at that point. Just for them to BE THERE for an extra 2 hours (aside from the what, 5 min ceremony) was over $600. It includes an additional 2 5x7''s and a few 4x6''s...
32.gif
To be $600 is a lot of money for just a few pictures. The next step up I believe was $900?? They were very vague with me over the phone and played the game of ''he said, she said''.

To me, it''s pointless to pay for the extra photography if you only 6 get prints and then the extra images are more than the wedding package
40.gif
To be honest, I wasn''t given a quote. I didn''t even bother asking for one. My wedding planner at MB said it was astronomical, and I''ve heard through the grapevine it is over $2k--JUST FOR THE NEGATIVES.

Seriously, it''s insane.

Date: 10/21/2009 2:46:47 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Date: 10/21/2009 12:07:45 AM

32.gif
To be $600 is a lot of money for just a few pictures. The next step up I believe was $900?? They were very vague with me over the phone and played the game of ''he said, she said''.

40.gif

To be honest, I wasn''t given a quote. I didn''t even bother asking for one. My wedding planner at MB said it was astronomical, and I''ve heard through the grapevine it is over $2k--JUST FOR THE NEGATIVES.

Seriously, it''s insane.

Oh good grief!!! I think I really will look into this Jason guy... thanks for this post!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 12:14:39 PM
Oh good grief!!! I think I really will look into this Jason guy... thanks for this post!
I know! Anyway, if you email him, let him know Liz sent you!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results