shape
carat
color
clarity

I Saw A Gorgeous Diamond and Ruby Ring Today!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I Saw A Gorgeous Diamond and Ruby Ring Today! I had taken my best friend out for a very long overdue "outing". She had been shut in and depressed after the death of one of her dogs and botched cataract surgery shortly following knee replacement surgery. She hardly ever gets out of her house and I wanted to get her out if only for a cup of coffee.

After we did an errand or two (such as dropping off a letter at a doctor's office) and getting a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts, I persuaded her to let me try to find her a piece of jewelry for her December birthday. So we headed for Lord and Taylor, which was more likely to have something in my price range than a fine jewelry store. (I ended up buying her some gorgeous 14K yellow and white gold earrings that both of us loved, but that is a digression!)

Since we were only shopping for a birthday present for my friend and I had no money to spend on myself, any amount of money would have been too much to spend on a piece of jewelry for myself, but of course I couldn't keep myself from looking. I saw what was, to me, the most exquisite delicate entwined ruby and diamond band. The rubies were very, very red-a gorgeous red. The diamonds were very white. The design was gorgeous. The price was reasonable-between $1,000 and $2,000, I think. But I didn't even try it on. I just applied what I know about rubies and assumed they were filled with who-knows-what. But part of me didn't care!!! Gorgeous ring! :lickout:

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

I found a photo of the ring I saw, but I must say that it does not do it justice! The one I saw was far redder, not the wine color of the ring pictured here!

effy-rosa-14k-rose-gold-natural-ruby-and-diamond-ring.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!!! The delicate bands forming a gorgeous ring with lots of oomph!!!
Can't you go back and at least try it on. It looks worth saving for in 2015.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1418458908|3800456 said:
I love it!!! The delicate bands forming a gorgeous ring with lots of oomph!!!
Can't you go back and at least try it on. It looks worth saving for in 2015.

Yes I agree. Gorgeous. And fwiw Deb, Marsala (a dark brick red/wine color) is the color of 2015.

http://fox2now.com/2014/12/11/2015-color-of-the-year/

(annoying few seconds of an ad before the video).

Anyway, that ring is a keeper no matter the color of 2015.:love:

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Deb, that is a lovely design. Usually L&T runs discount on discount sales that could put it in your price range for 2015. And it's so festive! What a nice way to spend time with your friend. I like looking at sparkly, shiny things even if I know I'm not in the market.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An honest question: I remember the red as being very red, not wine colored. I remember loving it. But I am assuming the rubies are glass-filled and low quality and treated as can be. I am assuming that buying them will be like buying...I don't know what. Not gem quality rubies. On the other hand, my tiny real rubies in my Sheldon Speyer mini-mania bands are worthless even though they are well cut and Burmese. Because they are so small. So why am I obsessing about tiny stones? But shouldn't I just as well buy glass? Would any of you real colored stone lovers buy rubies from Lord and Taylor?

As I write this I am considering going out the door with some Sheldon Speyer mini mania bands on just to try that ring on and see what it looks like. But I'd like your opinion. Would you buy rubies at Lord and Taylor?

Deb/AGBF

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't consider rubies from a major retail chain like Macy's, Lord & Taylor, Carsons, etc. . as they've been known to sell glass filled rubies and not disclose it. Glass filled rubies can be really beautiful too. I know, I ordered one for fun, it was $5, and it looked spectacular. The same goes for synthetics.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are super tiny they are not always glass filled they could be natural cheapies like you see in a lot of Indian jewellery.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1418522317|3800799 said:
If they are super tiny they are not always glass filled they could be natural cheapies like you see in a lot of Indian jewellery.

or most likely diffused too.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...the ring was not as I remembered it once I saw it again. The stones were only on one side; they did not go all the way around the ring. The ring was, indeed, rose gold as the Internet had said. (I had remembered yellow gold.) And the stones were a deep purplish pink, definitely not red.

On the other hand, I had worn all kinds of rings today and had lots of time to try on the ring and try it in every position on both hands with every other band. I liked it so much next to a Sheldon Speyer diamond band that looked as if it could have been made to go with it, that I decided to buy it. (Now all I need is an identical Sheldon Speyer band for the other side of the ring, and the Sheldon Speyer bands are no longer made!)

I cannot photograph the ring yet because it had to be resized. They sell it in a 7 and I am a 6. I should have it in 2 weeks. Then I can photograph how it looks with one Sheldon Speyer mini-mania diamond band! Oh! And the price with all the discounts was under $1,000.00 including tax, so I didn't really feel that I was overpaying for department store jewelry...although the starting price for the ring was in the thousands!

Deb/AGBF

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous design. I can't wait to see the pictures when you get it back.

While I value all I am learning from PS, the downside is that from reading/analyzing too much is that I have pushed aside some of my old favorites because the stones aren't the best color or common, etc... Your post is a good reminder that jewelry (at least on my part) isn't an investment but something that I enjoy. Time to dig out some of the pieces I loved and bought at the price I was willing to pay for the pleasure they brought me. Thank you.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is a good reminder, that jewelry in whatever form from the highest quality designs and materials, down the costume all has its place and that it is meant to be worn and enjoyed with pleasure. i have inherited and also gifted some pieces that knowing what I know, the gemstones are not the highest quality. but I wear them and enjoy them in the sentiment that they were given (well, there's a couple rings I don't wear, but do wear the rest).
It's good not to be so "serious" sometimes. And when someone looks at the ring they will see a pretty ring, not ask whether the stones were diffused or not.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1418570945|3800927 said:
I think this is a good reminder, that jewelry in whatever form from the highest quality designs and materials, down the costume all has its place and that it is meant to be worn and enjoyed with pleasure. i have inherited and also gifted some pieces that knowing what I know, the gemstones are not the highest quality. but I wear them and enjoy them in the sentiment that they were given (well, there's a couple rings I don't wear, but do wear the rest).
It's good not to be so "serious" sometimes. And when someone looks at the ring they will see a pretty ring, not ask whether the stones were diffused or not.

I appreciate what you and lilmosun said, partgypsy. I do want to caution that there is a big difference between buying low quality rubies without knowing that you are probably buying them and buying low quality rubies knowing you are probably buying them. That is why I love the Colored Stones forum and wish that all people, especially people making large purchase (not silly little ones like the one I just made) would check out the colored gemstones they want to buy here with "experts" before taking the plunge. I know I certainly do. And in the case of one stone I bought that was extremely expensive, I also got a lab report on it.

But I do think that inexpensive gemstones have their place. One should just know what one is getting. In the diamond fora when someone buys a low color and low clarity but well cut stone he often says he does not want to pay for things about which he does not care. He says that what matters is in the mind of the stone's owner. I like my large diamonds to be high color and high clarity. I also like my large colored stones to be fine quality. But I guess I just discovered that I can like a piece of jewelry with low quality small colored stones (and probably diamonds).

Deb/AGBF

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed...it's why I came here and sorry that I didn't find PS earlier. Personally, I am careful to only ask a questions or post when I want honest opinions that's what I come here for. But reading posts of others often has me questioning things I have loved so I find myself cherry picking the threads I will open, lol. My comment was more a personal note to self and thank you for putting it in perspective - not to devalue the education others provide. Because I realize that as educated as I thought I was coming in, I have a lot to learn and don't have the good eye others do. And I appreciate that everyone here is supportive and only provide tough answers to the questions asked. But it's sometimes nice to just purchase something that isn't at the top of its range/quality just for the style and enjoyment of wearing it. Kind of like buying clothes :)

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
What a terrific friend you are! Jewelry karma - can't beat it! :lol:

Love the style of that ring and the contrasting colors. Please post pics when you get it, along with your other ring! I agree that if something speaks to you, it speaks to you and as long as you know what you are getting, you can enjoy it just as much! =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1418575207|3800948 said:
part gypsy|1418570945|3800927 said:

I appreciate what you and lilmosun said, partgypsy. I do want to caution that there is a big difference between buying low quality rubies without knowing that you are probably buying them and buying low quality rubies knowing you are probably buying them. That is why I love the Colored Stones forum and wish that all people, especially people making large purchase (not silly little ones like the one I just made) would check out the colored gemstones they want to buy here with "experts" before taking the plunge. I know I certainly do. And in the case of one stone I bought that was extremely expensive, I also got a lab report on it.

But I do think that inexpensive gemstones have their place. One should just know what one is getting. In the diamond fora when someone buys a low color and low clarity but well cut stone he often says he does not want to pay for things about which he does not care. He says that what matters is in the mind of the stone's owner. I like my large diamonds to be high color and high clarity. I also like my large colored stones to be fine quality. But I guess I just discovered that I can like a piece of jewelry with low quality small colored stones (and probably diamonds).

Deb/AGBF

Often times, many of us suggest diffused or treated stones when someone is on a budget and doesn't mind treatment. Like you said, the reason we caution is that you should know what you are buying. If the stones are diffused, they'll be durable and you don't have to worry about them. Lead glass filled rubies can get easily damaged, and that's why its a type of treatment that many of us do not usually recommend. I have a secret, I actually like high quality cz, :oops: but I don't talk about it here, and I don't mind treated stones, as long as you know what the treatment is, and the price you're paying for them is fair.

ABGF, enjoy your lovely ring.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
That design reminds me if rings from Grisogono

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, post a finger shot when you have it!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Congrats with your new ring!!
It looks very sophisticated and the price is great. I am sure you will enjoy it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Didn't Packrat have something similar made like this from DK with different tone gold?

I have to say I really like the ruby version. it is a bit to modern for my personal taste but if I saw someone wearing it you bet I would ask to take a picture! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results