shape
carat
color
clarity

I ordered a spessartite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Close up. It''s really not this yellow in real life. As you can see, it''s full of inclusions. The little specks don''t bother me, but I''m not crazy about that big featherlike thing on the right or the dark thing under the upper right corner of the table. But I know this material is generally pretty included.

spessgl1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Last one, for now. Here it is with my GemSelect spess, a badly windowed native cut with lots of extinction. The GemSelect spess is a redder orange, clearly. Some may prefer a redder orange--I've seen some gorgeous ones posted. But I don't consider my new spess yellow or yellowish. It's orange. And the brown in the photo isn't there in real life.

spessgl12.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear....if the A&H baking soda box looks so terrible in the picture, I’m afraid I can’t tell the real colour of the spessartite. You’ll need a better camera this Xmas.
11.gif
9.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
On my screen anyway, the first Arm & Hammer picture and the first Fiskars picture are very true to life.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful spess Glitterata!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitterata,
I''m so glad you''re happy with your new spessartite, and I''m looking forward to see how you will set it.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, szh and TL.

I think it would look best in high karat gold, which would go very well with my Roman earrings. Something simple that shows off the precise rounded cushion shape--maybe a bezel, since I don''t think I have to worry about this stone getting too dark. But gold is so expensive now! So either it will take me some time to set it, or I''ll put it in silver, which DH prefers.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous colour.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2009 12:37:18 AM
Author: glitterata
Thank you, szh and TL.

I think it would look best in high karat gold, which would go very well with my Roman earrings. Something simple that shows off the precise rounded cushion shape--maybe a bezel, since I don''t think I have to worry about this stone getting too dark. But gold is so expensive now! So either it will take me some time to set it, or I''ll put it in silver, which DH prefers.
I would probably not bezel it because some of those inclusions are along the edge of the stone. There might be some durability issues with a bezel in that case, but I am liking that you''re going to use high karat gold. Whatever you do decide to come up with, I''m sure it will be stunning. You have such great taste in jewelry.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the kind words, ladies!

Good point about the inclusions, TL. In that case, maybe rich 18K with double prongs at the corners. Higher karat wouldn't be safe for the prongs, right? I guess it could have a higher-karat body with 18K prongs. But I keep spending my setting budget on more stones, so it's going to sit unset for a while (while the price of gold rises and I regret it...hm...)

Anyone have a great source of simple, inexpensive, rich-colored 18K settings to share?

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Glitterata,

I think the stone will look wonderful in a rich gold setting. I sure would like to see its glow in person, it looks lovely in your pictures.

Marie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitterata,
Not that this is going to help any but I have 22kt gold settings with 22 kt gold prongs in my heirloom gemstone rings. Perhaps they compensate for the softness of the metal by having more prongs? My rings all have at least 8 prongs that are equally spaced.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Clearly I need to take a trip to Asia or India where the jewelers are very experienced at setting stones in high karat gold...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2009 9:53:18 AM
Thank you for the kind words, ladies!

Good point about the inclusions, TL. In that case, maybe rich 18K with double prongs at the corners. Higher karat wouldn''t be safe for the prongs, right? I guess it could have a higher-karat body with 18K prongs. But I keep spending my setting budget on more stones, so it''s going to sit unset for a while (while the price of gold rises and I regret it...hm...)

Anyone have a great source of simple, inexpensive, rich-colored 18K settings to share?
Honestly, it depends how hard you are on your jewelry, and for someone like you that collects delicate antique jewelry, I would imagine you are very careful. My trillion Loliondo spessartie is set in 18K god with prongs. I think it would be very safe with double prongs, even in 18K.

Even though gold prices are very high, I just purchased a 7 gm 14K gold, diamond setting from LOGR for around $400. I know LOGR isn''t for everyone, but considering the budget conscious, it may be something you want to look at. My 18K gold setting is also from LOGR, and it''s very heavy and around the same pricepoint. If you want to go the way of handmade or finer workmanship, there is always a premium on that, no matter what the gold prices are.

Good luck to you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2009 10:32:24 AM
Clearly I need to take a trip to Asia or India where the jewelers are very experienced at setting stones in high karat gold...
I have seen some very well done custom work by Etsy vendors based in Thailand. Might be worth asking if they do work in high karat gold as well.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!! on your purchase I thinks it''s cool. Interesting cut and color.
9.gif

I agree that YG would be best for this stone. And I too HATE gold prices right now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results