shape
carat
color
clarity

I need some help on what to do in ordering and Asschers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TexasClaus

Rough_Rock
Ok, ive been reading for months on asschers from this website and diamondtalk and read cuellar''s 5th edition "how to buy a diamond" and Im flying to ny next week i have an appointment with Mark T, diamondsbylauren and i will go to goodoldgold as well even though i havent made an appointment with goodoldgold yet.

I''ll be looking to buy an asscher when i go and i dont plan on leaving without one. Have learned a ton from this site and the other one. Tons and tons of information. I have a budget of 7k for the stone only because i have the setting already. almost identical to the superbertc channel cut but i think i like mine better.

Dilema: I have printed out 348 damn different asscher diamonds from mark''s site and i crossed out all of the ones that i was not interested in as far as ratios, tables, flourescents, price, color(i left d-h colors) and crossed out everything under a carat and now im left with a handful about 30 or so that im considering and will knock it down farther tonight.

So the idea behind this internet buying is i take it that you just trust the vendor to come up with the best diamond for you to buy? or you choose a diamond then pay for looking at it? Cause ive not received any pics nor do i think i will from mark and i will just see what he picks out for me to see or do i pick something off of his list to show me? getting kind of frustrated cause im not sure what im doing and getting skeptical about the internet process but i know that you can get better prices and i know that all of these good people here cant be wrong. Just hate going all the way there to see what he has picked out on what i was looking for as parameters for an asscher and finding it so not what i wanted. then going to goodoldgold and not having anything in stock in what i wanted.

Im awaiting all answers to my dilema. so that ill know what to do. LAST BUT NOT LEAST COLORS for asschers i take it not to go below a H but im not sure if ill see yellow in that on a plat ring. was thinking E-G. and no lower than vs1 not forsure if vs2 is good for asschers as well that really hasnt been discussed too much for asschers that ive read.

Thankyou for your time
Hookem Horns

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of time its a combo of both picking diamonds to look at and having the vendors input on some options.
There arent a lot of dealers who stock a lot of asschers so with them its mostly going to be called in stones.

Im fine with h is asschers, g and up is usualy pretty safe.
vs2 is fine in most cases.

Study up on asscher patterns and trust your eyes.

Happy hunting!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Tx ...

Listen, you're doing a great job so far! Don't be too hard on yourself. It's a lot to pick up quickly and cheers to you for working on it and figuring out everything you already have.

I'm an asscher lover & coming to NY & seeing selections from Mark & GOG sounds like a great way to pick one if you need to see it yourself first & not buy online (I picked my stone in person, so I kinda understand - luckily my fiance did too & let me have my way!!)

Mark is in the diamond district has access to many, many stones there if I understand right. If he doesn't have what you want when you arrive ... you might be able to narrow down what you like & don't like ... and he could probably find more for you during your trip (next day?)

Good Old Gold may call in a few stones for you to look at beyond their normal inventory, especially if you're flying in from TX. I would have def. made a trip there if I hadn't found "the one".

If you want ... we can help narrow down the list for you so your not as overwhelmed when you arrive in town. BTW, I "happened" upon my stone (1.5, H, VVS1) just browsing around in the Diamond District trying on stuff for size. Luckily I already new what specs were most desirable in an asscher from my previous research on Pricescope, so when I DID see something I loved - I knew it was "in the ballpark" spec-wise & price-wise as well as "eye-wise" and "heart-wise". You won't realize how much your prep work has paid off until you're faced with THE ONE and know enough to grab it.

Good luck!!

ETA: telling Jonathan at GOG & Mark at Engagement Rings Direct & David at Diamonds By Lauren what your preferances are in your perfect stone would go a long way in helping them help you. Here are some questions to think about & maybe answer for them

Wide windmills or narrow windmills (how deeply cut the corners of the stone are)
Royal Asscher look or Square Emerald look (more octagonal, higher crown vs. more square, wider table)
Exactly Square ... or are you open to slightly out of square
Are you looking to maximize size or color/clarity/cut?
Are you okay with some blue flor in your stone? Or set on "none".

TexasClaus

Rough_Rock
yeah storm ive read all of your posts about them, and i hope i have a good idea what you are talking about and looking at. Are there any more good asscher information things i should read? Ive read all the faqs and all the pages on this forum and another one. I dont know if there is any beta diamond calculators out there to use is there any?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 8:39:54 PM
Author: TexasClaus
yeah storm ive read all of your posts about them, and i hope i have a good idea what you are talking about and looking at. Are there any more good asscher information things i should read? Ive read all the faqs and all the pages on this forum and another one. I dont know if there is any beta diamond calculators out there to use is there any?

Im not aware of any other sources of info on well cut asschers and would love to find some :}

"diamond calculators"
Not that iv seen.
The numbers dont tell you much anyway they just help with the initial narrowing down of options.

TexasClaus

Rough_Rock
decodelight yeah im hoping ill have some luck, ive talked to mark two times, in the past 3 weeks just to confirm to him im coming and to ask a question. Im happy to hear that you found "the One" hoping ill have that luck i got confused in december while i was there on looking and wanted to study even more. But i did find the setting for it and bought it (should say had it made). Just the diamond district was quite scarey and i dang sure was not educated enough to go ahead and buy and im glad i didnt. It is the overwhelming of BLING BLING and the "hooks". So i should be able to find one with a 7k budget that is nice i take it?

Thanks

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
7K is a GREAT budget and I have every confidence you''ll leave New York with a stunning Asscher! (I''m guessing Mark T will have you covered if that''s your first stop ... but that''s just a hunch) Kaleigh & Strmdr found a gorgeous stone through GOG ... you''ll get yours! (Lucky lady, yours is!)

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Hook and welcome to PS.
35.gif
I'm sure the all the asschers lovers will be along shortly, let me attach some links from my research on asschers as we too will be getting one soon. First off there are many different styles of asscher as I'm sure you already know. Personally I like the "bright drop" the best, but others like the more clipped corner (stop sign) look that closer resembles the RA. I think that's the first choice you need to make is which asscher style speaks to you. With this cut you can't go on numbers alone you NEED to see pix. GOG and WF will send pix and much more if you provide them with the budget and your criteria. I'm assuming from your avatar that you are located in Texas? WF is in Houston. Instead of flying out to NY why don't you go over to WF and see some for yourself in person. I have seen some stellar asschers form WF of late and GOG is KNOWN for their awesome asschers. Just a thought.
For color most will tell you not to go below H but I have seen some stellar I's and even J's cut/symmetry is going to be the most important. Clarity, most will tell you not to go below VS2, but I have seen the rare eyeclean SI1's here and there.
In any case keep us posted and best of luck. Do make note of Storm's suggested links (listed w/in the 3rd link down) many on PS consider him the asscher guru. Hopefully he'll be along soon to give him input. Hope this helps.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-about-asschers.24689/page-2
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fluorescence.24668/=
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-diamond-engagment-rings.24496/=
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-square-emerald-quest.21147/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asschers-and-aset-a-sneak-peek.35080/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/for-the-love-of-asschers.35026/

LOL they all beat me here...I took too long cutting pasting and writing!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 8:56:19 PM
Author: decodelighted
7K is a GREAT budget and I have every confidence you''ll leave New York with a stunning Asscher! (I''m guessing Mark T will have you covered if that''s your first stop ... but that''s just a hunch) Kaleigh & Strmdr found a gorgeous stone through GOG ... you''ll get yours! (Lucky lady, yours is!)
Yes I did, but thank god for Storm. He was a tremendous help to me in picking the right one from GOG. You have done your homework. Trust you eyes most of all. I think 7K is a great budget. Good luck and please let us know how it goes!!!
1.gif

TexasClaus

Rough_Rock
Decodelight yes i see Mark first. Cymbrie thankyou so much for those links i have more reading to do and i find all of this interesting and fascinating. You ladies have some beautiful Beautiful BEAUTIFUL rings from what ive seen on other posts. I just want to make sure my girl get the same. Reason im going to ny is that my girl lives there.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
GOG is probably your best bet for what you want---H is fine --In fact many vintage asschers were H''s and I''s

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Just don''t buy any $4,000 asschers from GOG! We are going at the beginning of March and I don''t want all the good ones to be gone
2.gif
. Luckily we have different budgets! When are you going? I suggest you give GOG the heads up so they can try to get more diamonds in that suit you. Good luck and let us know how it goes!! I am so excited to be going to GOG that I can barely stand it
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results