shape
carat
color
clarity

I need purchase advice and help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

puffyp

Rough_Rock
I have been shopping for a round briliant diamond for a few months. I purchased two through a seller on the internet and I have returned both of them because they have not lived up to their descriptions. I have found that most diamonds that have prices that are too good to be true are usually too good to be true. I am looking for a ideal cut, D-H, SI1-SI2 in 1.20 - 1.80 ct.
I need some help in locating and choosing the stone I described for under $5,000.

My latest find is a certified EGL USA girdle inscribed 1.27ct. for only $4,000. The Holloway Cut Advisor says it is a 2.8 (Can this diamond be too good to be true as well?)

Certificate 80487308D
Weight 1.27 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT CUT
Color F
Clarity SI2
Measurements 7.10 - 7.03 x 4.31 mm
Depth 61.0 %
Table 56.0 %
Crown 14.7 %
Pavilion 43.8 %
Girdle THIN FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade IDEAL PLUS

Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Patrick

1.27ct.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 2:46:25 AM
Author:puffyp

I have been shopping for a round briliant diamond for a few months. I purchased two through a seller on the internet and I have returned both of them because they have not lived up to their descriptions. I have found that most diamonds that have prices that are too good to be true are usually too good to be true. I am looking for a ideal cut, D-H, SI1-SI2 in 1.20 - 1.80 ct.
I need some help in locating and choosing the stone I described for under $5,000.

My latest find is a certified EGL USA girdle inscribed 1.27ct. for only $4,000. The Holloway Cut Advisor says it is a 2.8 (Can this be too good to be true as well?)

Certificate 80487308D
Weight 1.27 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT CUT
Color F
Clarity SI2
Measurements 7.10 - 7.03 x 4.31 mm
Depth 61.0 %
Table 56.0 %
Crown 14.7 %
Pavilion 43.8 %
Girdle THIN FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade IDEAL PLUS

Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Patrick
yep....an IDEAL cut 1.25 ct H SI1 with AGS or GIA lab report should in be the $6500 range.
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Patrick welcome
35.gif
You might want to check with the vendor as this is an S12 if this diamond is eyeclean, it might be a lucky find but go carefully. Is this with an online vendor? For your budget and the size diamond you want you might have to compromise somewhere, an EGL cert will usually have a lower pricetag. I would take the cut grade of Ideal Plus too with a grain of salt, but that is not to say this diamond couldn't be beautiful, this is often only a vendor description and doesn't always mean a lot. In the diamond world I don't think there is such a thing as too good to be true, you get what you pay for but this one might fit the bill for you. My best advice is if you want to pursue this further, make sure the vendor has a good return policy and get an independant appraisal, don't be too surprised if your F turns out to be a G or H - just be careful if the S12 is actually an I1. Check with the vendor too regarding the thin girdle, these can be more prone to chipping. If this diamond is eyeclean and if it is an I1 doesn't have any durability issues and you love it then fine. Hope this helps a bit.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 3:38:43 AM
Author: Lorelei
Patrick welcome
35.gif
You might want to check with the vendor as this is an S12 if this diamond is eyeclean, it might be a lucky find but go carefully. Is this with an online vendor? For your budget and the size diamond you want you might have to compromise somewhere, an EGL cert will usually have a lower pricetag. I would take the cut grade of Ideal Plus too with a grain of salt, but that is not to say this diamond couldn''t be beautiful, this is often only a vendor description and doesn''t always mean a lot. In the diamond world I don''t think there is such a thing as too good to be true, you get what you pay for but this one might fit the bill for you. My best advice is if you want to pursue this further, make sure the vendor has a good return policy and get an independant appraisal, don''t be too surprised if your F turns out to be a G or H - just be careful if the S12 is actually an I1. Check with the vendor too regarding the thin girdle, these can be more prone to chipping. If this diamond is eyeclean and if it is an I1 doesn''t have any durability issues and you love it then fine. Hope this helps a bit.
Lorelei my Brit GF
35.gif

EGL USA prints "Ideal Plus" on their report,if the stone is within their own EGL''s ideal plus specs however, they''re little different from AGS ideal specs.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you my darling
25.gif
emlove.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Patrick,

Did some pre-shopping suggest to you those parameters would work together (qualities & price point)? Maybe if you''ve got time, or possible cash to outlay for either or both shipping charges & appraiser charges you can keep looking.

Dancing Fire has the price tag well defined, and my showing this one from BN at $6500 with features you should like; WF has another that''s F SI2 (and you may want to only see SI 2s from vendors who''ve also seen them first) for a couple hundred more at just above $6700 with discount. Going the other direction, assuming $5K a top price, you could probably find options to fit, but that are either smaller, or with more color, or both.

Best wishes,

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Nice one Lorelei, that might be a sweet spot option. And with two more to consider from WF, seems like we''ve pointed to a veritable selection.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU IRA ( Curtsey!) We are doing well, there are good ones out there. Good catch with yours too!
30.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei offers sage advice. Typically, if one has to ask if it''s too good to be true, it likely is. None-the-less, the stone could be absolutely beautiful, but take all the advice offered thus far, and add one more. Have the stone viewed by an independent appraiser (you can find one in your area through this site) to ensure you aren''t being taken advantage of and the stone meets the specifications on the grading report.

Best wishes.........

colors!

Rough_Rock
I was wondering what vendor it was you bought from?

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
You ask for a great deal for a small budget. Either cut your standards/size down or increase your budget. I think you are expecting the impossible and are setting yourself up for disappointment. The above mentioned stones seem worth a peek.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The numbers look good. More than likely, it will be a very nice make. I would be more concerned with the SI2 grade by EGL. Look at the plot, type of inclusions & consult the vendor "opinion" on eye clean. EGL stones can be a good deal. They just don''t hold the pricey pedigree that AGS stones will have.

Good luck. Can you return it & be fine with absorbing the shipping costs?

puffyp

Rough_Rock
I want to thank all of you for your responses. You have been a great help. The seller of this stone offers a 10 day, no questions asked return policy. I have decided to take another chance and purchase this stone. I will take it to an independent appraiser and hope for the best.
My budget is limited at this time because I went back to law school and no longer have the large income I previously had but I still have expensive taste. I want to get the stone, engagement setting and matching band for close to $6000. I recently found a platinum engagement ring and matching band that I like online at http://www.diamondsonweb.com for $2,000.
I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. I will give you an update after I receive the next stone. Thanks again for your help, Patrick

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Gee I knew u would misunderstand that! I did not mean your budget was small. I meant it is small for such a HUGE stone. A .80-1.1 carat is nothing to sneeze at you know and would be better in line with your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results