shape
carat
color
clarity

I need new makeup

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I need to replace my makeup. I was going through it the other day while James was napping and I realized that some of it is just crap and needs to be tossed. I''m usually a cheapy and buy mostly Cover Girl and Maybelline makeup at the drugstore. I LOVE the Maybelline Full N Soft mascara more than any others I''ve tried. I have some Clinique shadows that are still pretty new so I''ll be keeping those. What kind of makeup do you use and do you like it? I''m thinking of getting higher quality makeup - and actually going to the department store to get it. Thanks ladies!

Diva

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
I have no recommendations myself (cheapie girl here) but my friend swears by her dior lipstick. If you try the counters a lot of the time they will help you pick out shades and compacts.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I love everything clinique. I''m *always* tired so I yawn a lot and with the other brands of mascara, I''d end up with racoon eyes. Clinique mascara doesn''t smudge. It''s awesome.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Bare Minerals for foundation/powder

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love makeup. For eye shadows, I wear mostly MAC because they have numerous colors and with a good primer (try urban decay potion primer) the colors stay on all day. For blush, I wear either MAC or Stila. (keep away from MAC''s lustre eye shadow finishes as they are really chunky) Veluxe finishes are the best.

The BEST investment you can make in lip gloss is a Chanel Glossimer. They''re outrageously priced but will stay on for about 1 -1/2 hours even if you eat or drink anything. The price is $26. I was out with a friend and she had to reapply her lip gloss 3 times in the 1.5 hours we were together, whereas my gloss was still on after that entire time while still drinking tea and chatting!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
When I was a teen I used only pharmacy brands but now I''ve upgraded and use mac and clarins foundation powder (apply with big chunky brush) and mac blush..and I only wear lipglosses (like mac and different sephora ones...I like it when they aren''t too sticky ..mac ones are a lil sticky)...I love sephora.com...I actually don''t like chanel bc its too pricey and the way it comes on isn''t enough color for me...I put powder on lips before the gloss (gives better color) and I stopped wearing eyeshadows bc its a pain so I put on different color eyeliners (looove bourjois company for those..again on sephora)...those are my 2 cents...I used to be a makeup fanatic..taught all my friends how to apply and what to use..now im just lazy ;-)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the best way to find out about great products is to head to a Sephora store where they sell all different brands, find a sales associate whose makeup you really love, and ask her for recommendations. The problem is that certain brands have niches where they have fabulous things and other things from that line might not be as good, so I like to mix and match brands to find what works best for me for each product.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Here''s all the stuff that I use - I wear pretty light makeup in very natural tones and hate spending a ton of $ on makeup, so I stick to Clinique with a couple other brands mixed in

Colors:
Lips - Bare Escentuals Buxom Lips Candi and Amber
I also like Stila Lip Glaze and have a bunch of those- Starfruit and Banana are my faves
and my sole lipstick is Coach Rose - the taste is awful but the color is pretty

Eyes - Nude Sparkle Touch Tint from Clinique as a base or as an all-over shadow
Clinique Be Mine duo and Sierra Glaze eyeshadow
Clinique black/brown quickliner
Blinc Kiss Me Mascara - best darned mascara on earth but it''s weird - basically, it forms these little silicone tubes around your lashes that slip off with water. It''s like a waterproof but doesn''t get gluey, it doesn''t get in your eyes, and the best part is that it doesn''t smudge. I''m the queen of raccoon eyes, but no more!

Cheeks - Mary Kay brozing beads. They''re discontinued, and I''m really not looking forward to finding a replacement, but hopefully I''ll find something similar

Other makeup -

Clinique all about eyes concealer - I used advanced concealer for years, but felt it''s too thick. This one is more sheer but it does have oil on it so it''s not the best for blemishes
Bare Minerals foundation
Bare Minerals Mineral veil

For underneath the makeup-
Sometimes I use Clinique Pore Minimizer for a smooth surface and Clinique city block sheer

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I see a lot of Clinique, MAC and Stila recomendations so I think I''ll start there.

I usually keep my makeup pretty simple - moisturizer (Cetaphil), foundation, powder (if needed), liner, mascara and chapstick. If I''m going out with my hubby I''ll add shadow, blush and maybe some lipstick or gloss.

Diva

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a CCO near you, you can get Estee Lauder brands for 30% off (MAC, Bobbi Brown, Prescriptives, Clinique, Shu...no Stila anymore, though.)

It''s Cosmetics Company Outlet...google to find locations, should work.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, CCOs are wonderful. The only downside is they do not carry complete collections. They have lots of MAC lip glosses, but usually only a few shades of eye shadows - many of them LE ones that never sold or were overstock. I''ve found tons of great items though and it''s worth the drive.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have tried so many brands over the years - MAC, Lancome, Dior, Clinique, Maybelline...etc etc

And I always come back to the same one: MaxFactor.

Their panstick is the best concealer I have ever come across, I love their foundation, loose powder, mascara and blush. The only thing I don''t like is their eyeshadows (still looking for a brand I do).

My brushes are all from MAC, but I can''t get on with their makeup - I bought foundation there for my wedding, had three consultations before I decided which one. Tried it a couple of times at home, gave it to my sister and used my MaxFactor on the day!

I also really recommend using Oil of Olay Regenerist Serum underneath - it''s a great make-up base.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another one to check into is Laura Mercier, especially for face products (foundation, powder, concealer, etc.).

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
For blush, I highliy recommend Nars.

Nars blush is like the BMW in the blush category. I am so addicted to it for its amazingly unique color, blendability, and lasting power.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2nd Oil of Olay Regenerist Serum as a primer...really great stuff, and drugstore prices.

For blush and e/s, I mostly buy high end, as well as powder. I guess almost all things powder, I buy high-end. I do wear Maybelline liquid foundations, though. Good stuff!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 6:56:32 AM
Author: Pandora II
I have tried so many brands over the years - MAC, Lancome, Dior, Clinique, Maybelline...etc etc

Their panstick is the best concealer I have ever come across, I love their foundation, loose powder, mascara and blush. The only thing I don''t like is their eyeshadows (still looking for a brand I do).

My brushes are all from MAC, but I can''t get on with their makeup - I bought foundation there for my wedding, had three consultations before I decided which one. Tried it a couple of times at home, gave it to my sister and used my MaxFactor on the day!

I also really recommend using Oil of Olay Regenerist Serum underneath - it''s a great make-up base.
My MIL swears by her MaxFactor makeup! I will have to look into that too.

I have some nice brushes already, but I may look for some new ones while I''m at it
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI, I have very pale skin (always the lightest shade) that's sensitive and prone to dry irritation. Here's what I love/use:

Brushes

Mac. Period. I use my 187 (foundation), 168 (contour/blush), 272 (eyeshadow) and 266 (eyeliner) the most.

Face

Make Up For Ever (MUFE) High Definition Primer (I use the blue tinted one)

MUFE Face & Body Liquid Makeup (very nice buildable coverage, I use pink porcelain #38 lol)

Cargo Blush (I actually use this as a contour color, in Prague)

BeneFit Boxed Blush (in Dandelion)

Chanel Ultra-Fine Translucent Powder (it is THE BEST. So smoothing! I'm on a sample right now, not looking forward to replacing it once it runs out
3.gif
)

Eyes

MAC Eyeshadows (These irritate my sensitive skin sometimes, but they can't be beat for strong color. I use them as eyeliner as well)

Stila Eyeshadows (I use these as an everyday shadow, they don't irritate me. Starlight and Bouquet are my fave colors)

MUFE Brow Set (a must with my reddish hair, non-existant eyebrows...)

L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Mascara (I have NOT been able to find something better--and not for lack of trying. My lashes don't hold curl with anything else.)

MUFE Aqua Eyes Eyeliner (I LOVE this stuff!! Great for smudging)

Lips

MUFE Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner (greatest colors, I have one just a titch redder than my natural shade)

I really can't recommend anything else because I don't normally use anything other than Smith's minted rose lip balm
3.gif
haha

Hope that helps!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
The only drugstore product that I use (and love!) is Cover Girl Lash Blast mascara - it''s the best!

For foundation, I only use Bare Minerals by Bare Escentuals - perfect for my sensitive, acne-prone skin.

For "color" cosmetics (blush, lipstick, eyeshadow, etc.) my favorite brands are Bobbi Brown, NARS, and MAC. I buy Bobbi Brown if I can afford it, but MAC is much more affordable and also great. The only problem with MAC is almost too many choices - it takes me hours to choose anything, but Bobbi Brown has a more "edited" palette - less selection, but all the shades suit my skin tone. When I was still single and wore more "flashy" makeup, I wore a lot of NARS - high color saturation and lots of great, shimmery textures - it is pretty expensive, though. Clinique also makes some nice makeup, but I find that the color saturation isn''t as good - for instance, I need to use a lot more of the blush or eye shadow for it to show up on my skin.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 6:10:07 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007

Date: 12/17/2008 6:56:32 AM
Author: Pandora II

My MIL swears by her MaxFactor makeup! I will have to look into that too.

I have some nice brushes already, but I may look for some new ones while I''m at it
2.gif
Funnily enough, both my mother and my grandmother have used MaxFactor all their lives as well...

I got a full set of MAC brushes brand new on ebay for $40 earlier this year - I wondered if they would be fakes, but they were the real deal and full size versions as well.

AED

Rough_Rock
Ooh, makeup! If there is anything I love more than diamonds....

I use all kinds of high end and drugstore stuff. Here is my 2cents:

Foundation/concealer: MAC. They have by far the best color selection and a decent price point.

Brushes: Sonia Kashuk--at Target! As good as any high end brand at easily half the price.

Eyeshadow: MAC and Stila, though NARS is also amazing. It is true they are the BMW of makeup! I personally feel that Clinique powder eyesadows and blush aren''t nearly as pigmented.

Lips: I am all over the map. This one is highly personal. I have a lot of MAC, Clinique, NARS and Chanel glosses and sticks. The best all around is Clinique Black Honey--every woman should have one!

Blush: NARS. Once you find the right shade (and they all look bizarre in the pan, you have to try on at Sephora), you will never use anything else.

Mascara: For every day, Maybelline Full n Soft, Loreal Voluminous and MaxFactor 2000 calorie are all great choices. For a really really nice mascara, Diorshow rocks.

Finally, I never buy anything without first combing the product reviews on makeupalley. That site is a treasure trove of consumer insight!! For everything from soap to perfume to shampoo, too.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 8:39:28 PM
Author: AED
Ooh, makeup! If there is anything I love more than diamonds....

I use all kinds of high end and drugstore stuff. Here is my 2cents:

Foundation/concealer: MAC. They have by far the best color selection and a decent price point.

Brushes: Sonia Kashuk--at Target! As good as any high end brand at easily half the price.

Eyeshadow: MAC and Stila, though NARS is also amazing. It is true they are the BMW of makeup! I personally feel that Clinique powder eyesadows and blush aren''t nearly as pigmented.

Lips: I am all over the map. This one is highly personal. I have a lot of MAC, Clinique, NARS and Chanel glosses and sticks. The best all around is Clinique Black Honey--every woman should have one!

Blush: NARS. Once you find the right shade (and they all look bizarre in the pan, you have to try on at Sephora), you will never use anything else.

Mascara: For every day, Maybelline Full n Soft, Loreal Voluminous and MaxFactor 2000 calorie are all great choices. For a really really nice mascara, Diorshow rocks.

Finally, I never buy anything without first combing the product reviews on makeupalley. That site is a treasure trove of consumer insight!! For everything from soap to perfume to shampoo, too.
I have a PINK (!) set of those! I also love my Full N Soft mascara. I''ve tried many different kinds and always come back to that.

We have a Sephora here so I think I may start there when I go to do the makeup shopping. We also have a Dillard''s and Macy''s with makeup counters as well. Does anyone know if Macy''s has MAC products? I looked on MAC''s websites and saw a few things I''d really like to try.

Diva

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of people like FnS mascara.

Most Macy's have a MAC counter, however, they don't have the full permanent collection. Some colors are only available at a free-standing store. And there are still more colors at PRO stores.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Do a google search for Beauty Crunch - they have Stila on sale (huge savings).

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
The only make up I wear is MAC Pro Longwear Lustre Lipcolour - Passion Preserved. It lasts around 8 hours and the gloss keeps me from drying up, the drugstore variety doesn''t cost that much less, last about 4 hours, and I had cracked chapped lips. I didn''t let the makeup lady do my lips for my wedding, I put it on at 2pm and they still looked great at midnight and there was a ton of eating and almost as much kissing. I love Mac Pro Longwear!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results