shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help with my first project...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Lauren''s awe inspiring collection of coloured asshers
30.gif
has inspired my first ever coloured stone project.

Because it''s my first project I''ve decided to start on a small and I have given myself a budget of $250 for the stone.

I''d really like to find a yummy assher cut coloured stone that is at least 7mm x 7mm to set into a ring. I have big hands so anything smaller will get lost. Ideally, I''d like a light pink or blue sapphire but I don''t think my budget is going to allow that. The colours I''m interested in are light pinks or blues and I''d like the type of gem to be a reasonably hard so that I could wear everyday as a RHR if I chose to.

I''ve read countless threads and I''ve looked at the websites of Dan Stair, Barry Bridgestock and Richard Homer (didn''t find anything in their current stock). I''ve contacted Dan and he said that he doesn''t have any suitable roughs at the moment.

I would really appreciate any guidance and suggestions to help my search.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Light pink tourmaline? Barry or Dan might have something that would work...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
You can try Peter Torraca too, and Jeff White. Both are known for their asschers

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For light pinks, I''d second tourmalines. Although I''d be curious to see what a rose quartz asscher might look like, ahha. Spinels also come in a lovely baby pink, but would most likely be out of budget.

For light blues: aquamarine, blue topaz

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! I'm so excited to watch your project take off!

For light pink or blue, I'd look into tourmalines, spinels or have you thought of aqua? My aqua fit into your budget.
9.gif
I have an asscher morganite, but it's not quite pink enough for what I think you're looking for, but it's worth looking into if you're careful with it.

So far in my collection, I have asschers from Gene at Precision Gem, Jeff White, Peter Torraca, and Gary Braun at Finewatergems. Personally, I think Gene's asschers are the best bang for the buck, and more along the style of Asschers I enjoy. I have a peridot from Jeff White that I just received, and the cutting is superb, but he is pretty pricey for his time, so this might not be the right project for him. Gary cut my aqua and I think he did an amazing job.

Either way, I'd email all four of them and see what they have in stock.

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Are aquamarines or tormulines ok for everyday wear?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay new project! I recomend Doug from Bespoke Gems. He is wonderful to deal with and my 7mm asscher was around the same as your budget.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 11:11:08 PM
Author: bleeblue
Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

Are aquamarines or tormulines ok for everyday wear?
Depends on how rough are you on your rings i.e. how much manual work you''ll do while wearing them. They''ll eventually require repolishing along the way (probably every several years).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d suggest a blue topaz; inexpensive so you''ll get the size plus it''ll hold up quite well for everyday wear compared to tourmalines and aquamarines.

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
I know this may be doing things backwards but I just won this LOGR setting...

do you think an aqua assher would look good in it?

018a.jpg

Lenamama

Shiny_Rock
Oh Oh go with an aqua.... what ct size are you thinking of... and Lauren has the most A-M-A-Z-I-N-G collection.....
3.gif
3.gif

Aqua scores a 7 on the MOH scale, and it does depend on how rough you are with your hands... I AM rough, so no dishes... etc...
9.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think that would look good with an aqua! Dan just cut me one - he might have more rough in stock.

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Ok... so I went a little crazy... and I bought 3 beauties from Dana which cannot be more different to what I was initally looking for
3.gif

First the Spinel:

Burma Spinel Purple 1.76 ct 1.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Next is a color shift tourmaline:

Nigeria Color Shift Pink Tourmaline 1.16 ct 1.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
and lastly a yummy pink tourmaline
36.gif
:

(and now I am too poor to buy an aqua assher for a while... but I will be saving and on the look out)

any ideas on what I should do with these beauties?
9.gif

Nigeria Pink Tourmaline 1.215 ct 1.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stones. Nothing like jumping into colored stones with both feet!!
9.gif

You didn''t post their sizes, I would pick one and make it a ring. If you''re very creative try to find some smaller stones to go with one of them and go for a pendant. Many PSers have great design ideas.

Cheers!

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/1/2009 10:57:58 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Very pretty stones. Nothing like jumping into colored stones with both feet!!
9.gif

You didn''t post their sizes, I would pick one and make it a ring. If you''re very creative try to find some smaller stones to go with one of them and go for a pendant. Many PSers have great design ideas.

Cheers!
Oh how silly of me to forget to post size...

The spinel is 1.76 carat, VVS1, 7.2 mm

The color shift tourmaline 1.16 carat, VVS, 6.8 mm

The pink tourmaline is 1.215 carat, VVS, 6.5mm

ma re

Ideal_Rock
All in one pendant, graduating in size (smallest to largest or the other way around)? That''s the first thing that crossed my mind anyway... Nice stones btw!

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 2:48:26 AM
Author: ma re
All in one pendant, graduating in size (smallest to largest or the other way around)? That''s the first thing that crossed my mind anyway... Nice stones btw!
Okay so ti''s been over a month since I''ve recieved the gems and this comment has stuck in my head(Thanks ma re!). I''m going to see my jeweller tomorrow about making the stones into a three stone pendant :)

I''ve got a few ideas in mind and I''d appreciate everyone''s opinon on which would look the best.

1. classic stone drop
2. three stone bezel
3. octagonal bezel
4. cascading eye shapes
5. swirly three stone

(pictures to follow as i''m bad at describing)

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
1. classic stone drop

three stone drop pendant.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
2. three stone bezel

3 stone round bezel.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
3. octagonal bezel

3 stone pendant square bezel.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
4. cascading eye shapes

3 stone eye shaped pendant.jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
5. swirly three stone

(minus the pave - will be in plain polished gold)

swirly pendant 2.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
classic stone drop is my vote!

Not to threadjack but...
Why oh why did you all have to remind me about precision gems...? I really want a beautiful asscher cut gem stone but I don''t think I can buy anything else until next year
15.gif
In the meantime, I''ll figure out the gem/color I want. I have a deep blue sapphire ering, so I''m thinking spess garnet, tsav, aqua, or med-light blue spinel or sapphire (not grey)...oh the choices!!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Could you post a photo of your three stones together? That might make the choice easier by giving an insight on how those designs might work with stones in question.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I''m liking the look of that 3 stone bezel. Very clean and classic, would let the stones shine nicely.

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
I second the vote for the three stone bezel- classy with clean lines.

What a fun project- I can''t wait to see what you go with!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic vote here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results