shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking for a emerald cut stone around 3ct for my RHR . My jeweler called me this evening and told me he had located me a 3.08ct J VS2, very good cut . Will a emerald cut show color more then a stone with more facets? The price of the stone is right at 18K he told me the other specs but I'll have to get them again tomorrow I was just so excited about the stone until I got to thinking about the J color. If anyone could help me out I would give much thanks!!!
emembarrassed.gif

Also if anyone knows where I can look at some emeralds set with trillions I would love to check it out be it thread or webpage. When I find that one perfect emerald I'll be setting it between to trill's with a knife edge band.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The larger the carat weight especially in an EC you will see some warmth in a J color. Those step cuts do tend to show color as opposed to the more faceted stones. It depends on how color sensitive you are. make sure to see it in all different lighting conditions. Also look at it through the side. You may have found a great stone. Good luck and keep us posted
1.gif

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
Thanks alot kaleigh ..... will do !!!!
35.gif
35.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
WOOOOO kittycat, I can''t wait to see this ring it is going to be FAB!!!! Where are you located? Maybe whiteflash has something. I know nothing about emeralds but Tacori has a beautiful one. I think it is I color...... What size trillions are you going with? Will the band be simple or engraved??? SO EXCITED

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2006 9:36:46 PM
Author:kittycatsmac

Will a emerald cut show color more then a stone with more facets?

Don't think so...

At least, I don't think there is a clear enough difference between all step cuts and all RBC, so that it is not worth looking at this stone.

My 2c

You may find it OK or not - there is some degree of personal opinion involved and I may be biased pro step cuts
2.gif

However, I am quite convinced that in general better contrast hides color. And step cuts have more of that than rounds do.

On the other hand.. larger diamonds always show more of a tint at any given color grade. And this baby ain't small!

Any idea what the 'stats' are?

Haven't seen the word 'ideal-scope' on this thread, but you might get some idea of leakage looking at the diamond with the pavilion completely shaded (between two fingers or sunk in a fold of black velvet in a jewelry box or on a black presentation tray) and placed on something dark. All diamonds would get somewhat less bright looking with no light entering from below the girdle, but the better the cut, the lesser this effect. Besides, even in a tall, open setting there would be little light shining on the pavilion. So it is great to be able to take a look at the stone in conditions close to what it will look when set.

You know I am not much of an expert - it may be that these tricks of mine are not all that great, and when I learned them, it was with diamonds in hand not in front of a computer screen.
8.gif
Between 'theory' and practice there is a bit of gap and I have no idea what to do about it online. Garry's pink 'scope does just this, IMO. Better than two fingers
5.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, personally, I would never go that low in color in an EC. The color is so much more pronounced in my eyes in these ''deep'' cuts.

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Val. Woo, I'm located in East Tenn. I don't have an idea if Whiteflash is close to me or not, never had to check for anyone else since my jeweler has always been right on with finding what I've always wanted. Tacori's emerald was really the one that got me thinking about how I would just love that for me a RHR. I think the trillions on the set I like is very small so they wont take away from the emerald their like .225 or around that a piece. and the band simple, I'm keeping all of the WOWEE on my wedding set, so if I do ware my ering when I ware my RHR it wont take away from it. Whats going on with your marquise Woo?

I about forgot to post it, after sleeping last night I decided to pass on the J color and try to find a H or I !!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if the ''j'' is too ''colored'' for you, then you probably want to go higher than an ''i'' as well.

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
Well Belle, I''m not really color sensitive, if it''s at a point that you have to look for the color I don''t mind. I''ve looked at Tacori''s emerald and it''s lovely for an I. I don''t know what to do now. I think I want to see the J and also have him find me a H and a I. I''ll put all three of them side by side and see for the price the one I would rather have! I fill like a bad girl because last nigt I was on line looking at light yellow diamonds, my jeweler would want to kill me if he was out there looking for a good clear white diamond and here I was looking for a light yellow! But no worries in that hubby is giving up the major money for the ring for our ann. and he really don''t like yellow diamonds, so I think I''ll keep it white!

Angela1977

Shiny_Rock
kittycatsmac...where are you in TN? I''m in Knoxville, and I might know some options for you.

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
Harrogate Like the center of where Kentucky, Tenn, and Virginia meet...

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
kittycat, I would look at the stone. The clarity sounds great. You never know :) I think Whiteflash is in Texas. Your jeweler sounds great so I would just have him bring it in :) As for my RHR, I have my jeweler quoting the FAY CULLEN and pricing out a beautiful setting they had in their store. The setting already has a 1.99 marquise in it...............BEAUTIFL Setting. Not east to west but really classy. I hope to hear from them soon :) I love the simple setting. I too don''t want my RHR to take away from my wedding set but want it to be a beauty.

SOOOOOO FUN :) P.S. I am still thinking on the SI3

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
I''m just going to stick with my jeweler because he does what ever he can to keep me happy!!!! I think I want to look at the J because it is a VS2 so it will be a good clear stone. If the SI3 looks good to you and you have seen it and like the stone I would go for it, just because that''s what the cert. says doesn''t mean that it isn''t a great stone to the eye! The setting that your jeweler has tell me more! Does it have the old look like the Fay Cullen? I like all marquise settings the stone really lengthens the finger makes the hand look slim and elegant... I hope that you hear from them soon so you can reply back what they tell you... I think you''ll come out with a beautiful RHR no matter if it''s the Fay Cullen or your jewelers setting!!!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woooo, just talked to the jeweler......of the course the setting I love is handmade.. my luck. they are going to call me with a cost. Platinum and gourgeous but I''m sure pricie.....My jeweler is really really really expensive but their quality is untouched so I often grin and bear it. I should hear back soon..... wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
That''s great Woo post back....
emsmile.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
OH My goodness they want $6500.00 for set. 1.5 ct in diamonds. they are going to quote reproducing in 14kt white gold and my small round diamonds. If it is to much then I am going for the FAY CULEN. They ae quoting both.

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
emotion-40.gif
OMG!!!! yeah I would for sure check and see if they will do it in 14K. Thats the first thing I asked when I started my RHR. I''ll do plat. for my wedding set but I''m going with wg for the RHR. If they can''t do it I would go for the Fay Cullen, wasn''t it like $1800.00? Forgive me if I''m off. Maybe they can do it in the 14K I sure hope so for you, ( if that''s the one you want ) . Let me know whats going own, good luck!!!
emotion-18.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
woo, just got the marquise back in the plain tiffany setting. still waiting for jeweler

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results