shape
carat
color
clarity

i need a new roof - what are the helpful hints/pitfalls?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i need a new roof - what are the helpful hints/pitfalls? I don''t know what I am doing or asking for, and my hubby is off shore....what are signs of sloppy workmanship, cheating? what is the sign of good contractor?

composite shingle/ houston texas /standard pulte home.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d get recommendations from friends, see who they have used and who they have been pleased with. I have heard many horror stories, do your homework before signing a contract. Ask for references, etc... Good luck.
1.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I usually find the best guys, are the busiest, so beware of someone who can do it tomorrow without checking out his work!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
just got a good referral for joe ochoa roofing. houston people - have you heard of this fellow?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
LK, never heard of them. but that''s not saying much.

I know Brinkman has been nothing but stellar in my Mother In Law''s eyes.

I do build homes, but in College Station, so I can''t reccommend any contr. here, except Brinkman.

Hey, call one of those home radio shows on the AM stations, or check out their web sites.

Hubby offshore or out in the field, been there, done that!! (just makes us tougher, huh? nah!)

Good luck.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
yeah installing atlantis is getting OLD. delay after delay,

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
looking for references is the best way to do it! possibly check with general contractors in your area for sub''s they trust. as for getting a fair price.. i would also suggest bidding the job out to 2 people, just to keep the pricing fair.

are you removing and replacing the roof? or layering overtop? (just wondering)

some of the things i have seen recently is installers not flashing properly, not installing ridge vents when needed, and just sloppy worlksmanship.

good luck!

35.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2006 11:34:25 PM
Author: lost on 5th
looking for references is the best way to do it! possibly check with general contractors in your area for sub''s they trust. as for getting a fair price.. i would also suggest bidding the job out to 2 people, just to keep the pricing fair.

are you removing and replacing the roof? or layering overtop? (just wondering)

some of the things i have seen recently is installers not flashing properly, not installing ridge vents when needed, and just sloppy worlksmanship.

good luck!

35.gif
this is what I don''t know. Shloud I take the old roof off, or layer over? why do people do either? i think i have preexisting ridge vents? (how do I know?)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Lk:

What kind of roof are you looking at? Our 12 yr. pine shake roof had to be replaced last year (rotten), and we considered cedar shakes, rubber, and unicrete concrete tile. Ended up going with the latter and are very happy with the result.

We made our decision after getting several estimates from different companies, and references.

Do you need to get an assessment by an engineering firm about the structural integrity of your roof/frame? We did altho it was probably overkill, but it gave me peace of mind to know our frame could hold the weight of the tile with snow, etc. (adding layers of ashphalt upon existing layers can also be very heavy).

cheers--Sharon

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Make sure they are licenced, insured and bonded.
If a worker gets hurts and they don''t have insurance your liable for the injuries and your insurance company may not cover it.

In my area there is a huge problem with illegals being used and no insurance.
Someone I know is involved in a lawsuit over this right now when a worker fell off his roof breaking both legs and an arm.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2006 7:00:11 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI Lk:

What kind of roof are you looking at? Our 12 yr. pine shake roof had to be replaced last year (rotten), and we considered cedar shakes, rubber, and unicrete concrete tile. Ended up going with the latter and are very happy with the result.

We made our decision after getting several estimates from different companies, and references.

Do you need to get an assessment by an engineering firm about the structural integrity of your roof/frame? We did altho it was probably overkill, but it gave me peace of mind to know our frame could hold the weight of the tile with snow, etc. (adding layers of ashphalt upon existing layers can also be very heavy).

cheers--Sharon
thanks for the help! i have calls out to six companies, the ones recommended by people, and ones who give teacher discounts
2.gif
for estimates
I think a charcoal gray to black composite shingle is what our homewoners association will allow. It should be the same weight/load as the existing shingles.

it doesn''t snow here
10.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2006 7:06:13 PM
Author: strmrdr
Make sure they are licenced, insured and bonded.
If a worker gets hurts and they don''t have insurance your liable for the injuries and your insurance company may not cover it.

In my area there is a huge problem with illegals being used and no insurance.
Someone I know is involved in a lawsuit over this right now when a worker fell off his roof breaking both legs and an arm.
gawd, i didn''t think about that... keep the advice coming folks!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2006 7:29:46 PM
Author: ladykemma

Date: 7/28/2006 7:00:11 snow, etc.
it doesn''t snow here
10.gif
HI:

Of course--I''m living in the wrong da... place in the universe....
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
update. i sat around all day friday yesterday, the two who were supposed to come didn't. one is supposed to come saturday today and is not here yet? it's noon.

I told them to phone first on my cell on their way, to make certain i was here.

a. is this normal? because I don't hire unreliable people
b. do they come and not tell you? they don't have to come inside...

someone suggested the really busy ones are the ones you want. a really busy contractor made an appointment for 11:30 NEXT monday aug 7. not wasting my time and warm vibes?! Joe Ochoa roofing

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2006 1:13:30 PM
update. i sat around all day friday yesterday, the two who were supposed to come didn''t. one is supposed to come saturday today and is not here yet? it''s noon.

I told them to phone first on my cell on their way, to make certain i was here.

a. is this normal? because I don''t hire unreliable people
b. do they come and not tell you? they don''t have to come inside...

someone suggested the really busy ones are the ones you want. a really busy contractor made an appointment for 11:30 NEXT monday aug 7. not wasting my time and warm vibes?! Joe Ochoa roofing
HI:

Normal? I dunno, but seems quite "common" in the service industry....and rather annoying. Had this happen to me with landscaping this year--people called back, booked appts with me and never showed.

All of the roofing companies I called kept their initial appt''s., but follow up with two companies was awful and I immediately deleted them from my list of potenitials. In fact, the most relaible salesman, was the one who came back twice, and arranged for the independent engineering report to be done. And yes, this company was very busy, but their customer service did not suffer one bit.

Hang in there.

cheers--Sharon

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
out of 4 contractors who said they would be here. 2 showed

one said there was nothing wrong with my roof it was fine. (yeah but why does it look so bad with curly shingles and it leaks?). I think he didn''t want my job.

I have been keeping watch on the roof for about two years watching the gravel fall off. we need new roof.

one said i needed a new roof. i checked everything he said and what he said was correct as far as I know. (I went a found a book on roofing) i get warm fuzzies. called references, checked BBB.

one more estimate to go

now, do I want 50 year hurricane shingles able to withstand 115 mph winds or regular 30 year shingles for 80 mph winds? Do shingles really last 50 years? i don''t believe it. he wants to order the materials on monday.

advice please?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
update - new roof is beautiful . and 50 year shingles are quite thick! grin.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/3/2006 2:34:14 PM
update - new roof is beautiful . and 50 year shingles are quite thick! grin.
congrats on your roof ugrade. finally, someone who can appreciate a thick girdle!!
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results