shape
carat
color
clarity

I must be doing something wrong (cell phone question)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I need a new phone. I need a new phone with a long-lasting battery.
I kill batteries.

Am I supposed to put my cell on a charger every night before going to bed or only when the
battery is very low? I think I must be doing the batteries harm.

I have Sprint, it''s time for an upgrade. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2008 9:17:36 AM
Author:sevens one
I need a new phone. I need a new phone with a long-lasting battery.
I kill batteries.

Am I supposed to put my cell on a charger every night before going to bed or only when the
battery is very low? I think I must be doing the batteries harm.

I have Sprint, it''s time for an upgrade. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Nan, Hubby always told me not to constantly recharge the phone as that can weaken the batteries, so I have only ever charged mine when it was low - I have had the same phone for over 2 years....But I don''t know what the '' official'' advice is, I am sure you will get some good recommendations
35.gif

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Hrmm... I charge my phone every night before I go to bed Depending on the phone if I forget... some may sort of last until the next day, some will day (cough, Iphone, cough).

I'm a cell phone a holic and I charge my phone every night... otherwise I'm hosed at some point the next day.

What kind of phone do you want to upgrade to and what are you using now?

What do you want your phone to do? (ie web browse, pda, outlook, etc)

ETA: Batteries do get old over time, depending on how many years you have the phone. And the big battery suckers are the ones that pull in data like email etc, 3g phones are major battery sucks too. You have to learn to do things like turn off the push functionality that enables it to get mail on its own and turn off 3g when not neeed... hassle and a half!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Are you running any applications on the phone besides normal calling/texting?

I play games on my phone
4.gif
which kills my battery but even then I charge every 2 days.

What kind of phone are you looking for?

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been told to only charge the phone when it''s needed and to never the leave the phone on the charger longer than need be (i.e.: don''t leave it on the charger for hours or over night). I''ve folowed that advice and it works for me!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard the same... only charge when neccessary. I have Sprint and recently purchased a Mogul. It was pricey but it helps keep me organized and connected. I love it!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Sevens-One, though it depends partially on the type of battery, one should recharge when the battery is low to extend battery life.

What is *very* important, though, is doing a FULL CHARGE (i.e., let the phone go absolutely dead before recharging) the first few weeks you have it. Let me see if I can find a succinct explanation...

"How should I charge my battery the first time?

"For the first 3 charge cycles, a new battery should be fully charged before being used and then allowed to fully discharge before recharging. This will help ensure a true "full charge" of the battery during the first few cycles and will condition the battery for optimal performance. Proper conditioning of a new NiMH battery is critical to achieving optimal performance. While less critical for Lithium-ion batteries, proper conditioning will provide benefits to new Lithium-ion batteries. Note that when a new battery is first charged, it is not unusual for the battery to show a full charge after only a short period of time. If this occurs, keep the battery on the charger overnight to help ensure a true full charge. Removing the battery momentarily from the charger and then replacing it may also help." (Link: Cell phone tips )

As a real-world example, I've been doing this since I was a teen. (It helped to have a quasi-omniscient scientist dad to explain why this works, LOL.) I never had to replace the battery for the phone I purchased in 1998 (6 years use), and I'm still on the first battery for my current phone (an ultracompact purchased in 2004). So, yes, it appears to make a pretty big difference! Hope this helps.

f-d-l

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, wait until your battery only has one bar left before charging it. DH and I always replace our phones at the same time and he charges his before it needs to be and his batteries always wears out faster.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I abuse my phone batteries, so much so that my batteries only last about a year before they are so worn out that they only hold enough charge to last a day. When that happens, I just buy a new battery. Much cheaper than upgrading the whole phone.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I charge my phone overnight daily and have never had a battery problem.

We have Sprint and I recently upgraded to the Samsung Instinct and love it. I needed a phone to be more than a phone and this one had all the bells and whistles I wanted/needed. I previously had the Samsung Upstage and never really got used to flipping the phone over for different functions. Before that I had a Motorola RazrV3C with Verizon and it was by far my favorite cell phone. Good luck in your search and Happy belated Birthday
35.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have to charge it every night...I can get away with not charging it if I don''t use the phone....maybe you need a new battery/phone too...

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I always let my batery go dead before I recharge. And then, I usually charge it overnight. I probably charge twice a week.

And, I would totally recommend either getting the Samsung Instinct or the Palm Centro.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Wow- thanks for all the helpful advice. (and the belated b-day wish)

I upgraded our phones with the Rumor LG.. Spring was offering the two for one deal and
we both needed new ones.
I received the same advice from the salesman about the battery charging issue.

I knew I could count on you all to help!

This is my cool new phone-

cellphonerumor.jpg

mobius8

Shiny_Rock
New phones will come with a Lithium-Ion battery which will not succumb to the "memory" effect that plagues Nickel-Cadmium and Nickel-Metal-Hydride rechargeable batteries of the past.
Opinions are like.....well, you know.....but my suggestion is that OEM wall chargers (the one that came with your phone) are fine. Don''t use cheap replacements. Leave it on as long as you need. Charge as needed.
Only use a car charger when necessary and only use OEM car chargers.

I could look up articles to substantiate (or disprove) my opinions, but I''m too tired, so I''ll just assume I''m right :)

p.s. I have an LG flip phone that''s over 2 years old on the original battery and I still get several days of standby.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
I have the HTC Mogul. I put mine on the charger every night, and I''ve had it die during the day on me like twice maybe? I was on the phone like 4 hours that day! REFI! haha!

I hate. absolutely HATE. phone shopping!

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 10:37:56 PM
Author: sevens one
Wow- thanks for all the helpful advice. (and the belated b-day wish)

I upgraded our phones with the Rumor LG.. Spring was offering the two for one deal and
we both needed new ones.
I received the same advice from the salesman about the battery charging issue.

I knew I could count on you all to help!

This is my cool new phone-
Does it send MMS messages??? My Mogul is BLOCKED. I''m going to make Sprint give me something else... started wtih the Q... it didn''t MMS... they gave me the Mogul and PROMISED that the ''update'' would fix it a month later... that was in APRIL! Still no pic or video messaging! JERKS!

I love the slide out qwerty... so tell me if you like it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results