shape
carat
color
clarity

I. Missed. the UPS guy.

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
So we ordered our stone from GOG for delivery Saturday. I was to be working from home all day, so it seemed perfect.

Then Friday night at HH, me and the man decided we could both have some drinks and just leave the car in the restaurant district and pick it up sometime the next day.

What I did NOT realize is that I dropped my phone inside the car before we got out that night. Yes, the phone connected to the front callbox. So Saturday morning I woke up, freaked out, threw on the nearest clothing, and walked over to the garage to pick up the car and retrieve my phone. No missed calls, sweet. I''d left at 10am, got back at 10:50am.

The UPS guy had come and gone at 10:35. Aaarrrrrgggghh!
29.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I''m so sorry! Can you go fetch it at the UPS location? Or you just have to wait until tomorrow?

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, that''s horrible!

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
I called them immediately to just pick it up that night, and the earliest I was told was Tuesday! Lol I was sooooo frustrated :)

But the good news is that I get to go get it in just an hour from now! Although SO told I have to wait til he gets home to open it. Aaaaaaaaaaaah...

caroleena

Shiny_Rock
Trade
it must have been a LONG weekend! Keep us updated
1.gif

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Well, I got it. And, sadness. It''s very pretty and sparkly, and in the north-south orientation looks great....but east-west, there are dark areas on the ends of the stone that jump out at you like nothing I''ve ever seen. It looks like two half circles on the ends....in daylight it actually makes it look like the stone isn''t even curved the way an oval is.

Again, GOG did a great job - in normal orientation it''s great. I didn''t think to mention to them that we were going to set it horizontally, and it just doesn''t look right that way. I''m so discouraged. This was like, the only stone that fit all our specs and was in our price range. I just don''t even know what the wait is going to be like now.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 6:44:01 PM
Author: redhead02

Well, I got it. And, sadness. It's very pretty and sparkly, and in the north-south orientation looks great....but east-west, there are dark areas on the ends of the stone that jump out at you like nothing I've ever seen. It looks like two half circles on the ends....in daylight it actually makes it look like the stone isn't even curved the way an oval is.

Again, GOG did a great job - in normal orientation it's great. I didn't think to mention to them that we were going to set it horizontally, and it just doesn't look right that way. I'm so discouraged. This was like, the only stone that fit all our specs and was in our price range. I just don't even know what the wait is going to be like now.

I'm sorry to hear that, red.
7.gif

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but have you considered an elongated cushion?

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Thanks EB. In fact, no one has suggested that to me yet... I guess I may end up going for that, or maybe just a round if this proves impossible. But it breaks my heart...I just love the oval shape. I feel so defeated.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh gosh...sorry! I''m assuming you can send it back to GOG? maybe they can source a different one for you, and take a video of it in the E/W orientation.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 11:09:00 PM
Author: redhead02
Thanks EB. In fact, no one has suggested that to me yet... I guess I may end up going for that, or maybe just a round if this proves impossible. But it breaks my heart...I just love the oval shape. I feel so defeated.

Then an oval is what you should have!

If I''ve learned anything about fancy cuts, it''s that you should trust your *eye* over any numbers, as they can''t really determine what will be beautiful. I read earlier that you had requested an EX or VG cut oval, but I''ve seen several eye-pleasing G/G or G/VG ovals at James Allen that you may love in person more than on paper.

Going forward, you may want to just give Jonathan @ carat, color, and clarity ranges, and trust his eye to find you something great. Good luck! I hope you find something you love soon.

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much both of you. Yes Slg, I did get in touch with GOG and Jonathan is being very helpful as far as trying again. He said he''d video them east-west and we''d try comparing a few. So that makes me feel better.

EB, I hadn''t pursued James Allen too much yet because I wanted some help finding one without a bowtie. But its true that I''m not extremely particular on cut as long as there aren''t glaring obstructions, like this one had. Ill have to do a round of searching on James Allen and see what I find.

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
I''m really sorry to hear this
7.gif

At least you know aren''t settling for something that isn''t perfect for you and I''m sure when you do find it it will be well worth the wait. Good Luck and **DUST**!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results