shape
carat
color
clarity

I may be getting these from Mastergems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5692

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5315

as well as the 4.39ct garnet I previously posted about.

I think as this is my first foray into gemstones, I'd better not spend too much on any one piece. The citrine looks rather nice and would make a lovely pendant; I think it might be a statement piece due to its sheer size (did I say I like big bling?!
2.gif
). The green tourmaline would make a nice ring. And whilst I'm still not 100% sure abt the garnet (since it might be a little too dark), I'm seriously considering it. Worse comes to worst, I can just keep the garnet to look at rather than have it set into a diamond-halo'ed setting (it sure is pretty).

Dana has been very helpful and he has a wicked sense of humour. It's nice to deal with someone you like.
1.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I was eyeing the green one last night, I think it''s a good choice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s hard to tell by the pictures due to his terrible photography but at this point, I’m leaning towards the green tourmaline.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Have fun with your new pretties. Shopping with Dana is kind of like being a kid in a candy store. You can''t choose just one piece.
25.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
So pretty, Phoenix! I really like the green tourmaline! I think I missed the garnet, so I''ll go have a look for your post on it. Can''t wait to see your pictures!

Dana''s sending me a stone today too..seems he''s been a lil busy of late-I''ve noticed several posts recently about things from him! He''s super nice too!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Exciting!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The scissor cut sure is a gorgeous cut, and green just yummy!.. and that citrine- Holy moly is that gigantic!
9.gif

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I opened it to find a whopper of a citrine - 40cts?!? I hope that thing is not going around your neck, otherwise it may cause permanent strain.

Yeah, ditto on the not just buying one piece. I now have a gem collection thanks to one very greedy Pokemon, gotta have them all type purchase. Need to upload photos.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Pheonix!

I just (last night) bought 3 stones from Dana (candy store!) and they should be in my greedy little hands on Monday. So excited. So far great customer service, so I think if this is your first foray, you've picked a good vendor for it. I'll post pics next week of my preciouses, Dana has been so open, honest and forthcoming with all my questions I know I'm gonna love the little gemmies I bought as a birthday pick me up!

I ADORE the citrine personally... and have a citrine of that color myself. Every time I wear it to a gem show people grab my hand and ask me about it. The cutting makes all the difference (mine is well cut as well) and so I think that if you love that color (I do) you are going to be very happy with it. I wear mine with quite a bit, actually I'm surprised at how often I wear mine. SO I think as a statement piece that's citrine is gonna be lovely. Only thing I'd be concerned about is the depth of the stone. I have a 17 mm topaz (somewhere) and in order to set it as a pendant I need a an enclosed basket like a pill box or something. But that just gives you opportunities for really fun "gallery" or profile designs.

As for the tourmaline. Gorgeous.

I liked your Garnet from before too. I can't wait to see what you think of them... Dana's return policy is really nice (one thing I was really happy about), so if you don't like it (and it makes sense in terms of shipping) you can always send it back (though that maybe more complicated for you). It's one of the reasons I broke out of my stingy one stone at a time purchasing style and just went for all three stones.

I will be posting about my purchases next week. And have some setting plans for them. So if you are interested in how I think the pics of his compare to real life... I'll let you know my thoughts. Only one way to find out.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeez-we''re all swarming him!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That scissor cut stone is very pretty!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks very much, everyone, for responding and for your comments. It looks very likely I'll be getting the tourmaline and the citrine
1.gif
, absent anything of surprise (which I doubt since Dana has been very straightforward with me).

Fly girl and litebrite, yes, it is totally like being in a candy store, there're so many pretties to choose from. I have to try very hard to contain myself.
31.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2009 6:00:40 PM
Author: Gypsy
Hi Pheonix!

I just (last night) bought 3 stones from Dana (candy store!) and they should be in my greedy little hands on Monday. So excited. So far great customer service, so I think if this is your first foray, you''ve picked a good vendor for it. I''ll post pics next week of my preciouses, Dana has been so open, honest and forthcoming with all my questions I know I''m gonna love the little gemmies I bought as a birthday pick me up!

I ADORE the citrine personally... and have a citrine of that color myself. Every time I wear it to a gem show people grab my hand and ask me about it. The cutting makes all the difference (mine is well cut as well) and so I think that if you love that color (I do) you are going to be very happy with it. I wear mine with quite a bit, actually I''m surprised at how often I wear mine. SO I think as a statement piece that''s citrine is gonna be lovely. Only thing I''d be concerned about is the depth of the stone. I have a 17 mm topaz (somewhere) and in order to set it as a pendant I need a an enclosed basket like a pill box or something. But that just gives you opportunities for really fun ''gallery'' or profile designs.

As for the tourmaline. Gorgeous.

I liked your Garnet from before too. I can''t wait to see what you think of them... Dana''s return policy is really nice (one thing I was really happy about), so if you don''t like it (and it makes sense in terms of shipping) you can always send it back (though that maybe more complicated for you). It''s one of the reasons I broke out of my stingy one stone at a time purchasing style and just went for all three stones.

I will be posting about my purchases next week. And have some setting plans for them. So if you are interested in how I think the pics of his compare to real life... I''ll let you know my thoughts. Only one way to find out.
Gyspsy,

Thank you very much for your detailed post. Congrats on the purchase of yr stones, I can''t wait to see the pics of your lovelies!!
36.gif
Which ones did you get? Enquring mind wants to know!
2.gif

I''m soooo happy you gave the citrine the thumbs up. To be honest, I''ve never come across citrine IRL, or if I had, I wouldn''t have known what it was.
6.gif
I will ask the jewelller for open gallery for the citrine, I think that might be better for it anyway because it''s already so large and prob quite heavy already.

Thanks for yr vote of confidence on the tournmaline (thanks again to the other ladies). YAY!! The more I look at it, the more in love I am with it!
30.gif

Glad you also like the garnet. I''m still waiting for some more pics from Dana (it''s been raining where he is apparently).

Can''t wait to see yours and what you do with them. I''ll def come back here for setting suggestions, particularly yours, since you''re so talented and full of ideas all the time. This is so much FUN!!
36.gif
36.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2009 3:35:16 PM
Author: litebrite
I opened it to find a whopper of a citrine - 40cts?!? I hope that thing is not going around your neck, otherwise it may cause permanent strain.

Yeah, ditto on the not just buying one piece. I now have a gem collection thanks to one very greedy Pokemon, gotta have them all type purchase. Need to upload photos.
LOL!!

Can't wait to see your gem collection. Pleaaaasseeee post the photos.

I LOVE this section. I think this is truly the beginning of a serious love affair. I can't believe I wasn't into gemstones before!
4.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've confirmed with Dana that I'll be getting the green tourmaline and that monstrously huge citrine. YAY!!
36.gif

Any suggestions on how to set them? Thx.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait until receiving them to get a better gauge of the colour – from there, you’ll be able to see which metal colour would suit each stone best and sometimes a specific setting will automatically come to mind.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2009 7:23:13 PM
Author: packrat
Jeez-we''re all swarming him!
And, he''s loving every minute of it, I''m sure!!!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2009 9:03:48 AM
Author: Phoenix
I''ve confirmed with Dana that I''ll be getting the green tourmaline and that monstrously huge citrine. YAY!!
36.gif

30.gif
That is gorgeous lady!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pheonix you are such a sweetheart. I would love to give you a hand with some setting ideas. Let me think about it for a while. What's the feel you want? Contemporary, vintage, ultra modern??

I am on vacation so my post right now isn't gonna be very long. I'll post more when I get back home, and with some pics in a new thread. But I wanted to tell you that I got my gems and am thrilled.

Stone descriptions were RIGHT ON so were the pics. And the pricing was great. I bought two 8.5 mm Siberian color Amethysts (and they are SPOT ON on the color) they both have minor inclusions that can be seen when held to to bright light but not at all under any normal viewing conditions-- exactly as promised. And I bought a peridot 5.5 x 7.5 for that was a 'cutting experiment' by him that is SO bright and lively and unique-- bright green on the lighter side with secondary yellow (exactly what the pics and his description claimed) . No windows and cutting that really shows the best off of the material.

I'm going to be setting one of the Amethysts first because I fell head over heels with it (they were prefect for earrings, but one of them just really spoke to me, which is strange becuase they really were a fabulous matched set). And I gave the other to my best friend (who I'm visiting on vacation) because she REALLY was impressed by it, and they are so lovely I want a ring anyway so I can stare at it, so I was torn about what to do with the other one. Gifting it was the perfect solution. Because she wants a ring too and the stones were so beautiful that they just NEED to be stared at, ya know?

And now I'm wondering what to do with the peridot. Cause I want to stare at it, it's so cool, but I'm also thinking about asking Dana if he can just me a match to it, so I can do earrings with it. A pair of them would just make some truly amazing earrings. And he said he has more of the material.

Okay so... promise I'll do a fuller post (and even try to do a side by side vendor pic versus real life pic) of the stones when I get home (so later this week or this weekend). But I wanted to give you a run down Pheonix, as promised. ASAP.

Take much care.
35.gif
And big hugs, and thank you again for your extremely sweet and flattering post.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Depending on how long your fingers are, you could do the green tourm as a ring or a pendant. Here''s one pendant idea If it were me, I would want to look at the scissor cut all day long, so might be better as a ring.

The citrine I could see in some wrought gold or silver pendant, maybe with a round or upside down trillion on top to balance it out? Unfortunately, I feel like the metal cost on this one is going to be much higher than the actual stone.

I found some lovely large pendant setting ideas by Jane Taylor over on Pearlman''s (what doesn''t that store have, by way of inspiration?)

And Leon Mege has some droolworthy pieces too - I like this micropave halo with a different colored stone Leon Mege

Platinumsmith has some lovely settings including this masterful ring, all hand made. Masterful Art Deco ring

litebrite

Shiny_Rock

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2009 3:24:52 PM
Author: Gypsy

Pheonix you are such a sweetheart. I would love to give you a hand with some setting ideas. Let me think about it for a while. What's the feel you want? Contemporary, vintage, ultra modern??

I am on vacation so my post right now isn't gonna be very long. I'll post more when I get back home, and with some pics in a new thread. But I wanted to tell you that I got my gems and am thrilled.

Stone descriptions were RIGHT ON so were the pics. And the pricing was great. I bought two 8.5 mm Siberian color Amethysts (and they are SPOT ON on the color) they both have minor inclusions that can be seen when held to to bright light but not at all under any normal viewing conditions-- exactly as promised. And I bought a peridot 5.5 x 7.5 for that was a 'cutting experiment' by him that is SO bright and lively and unique-- bright green on the lighter side with secondary yellow (exactly what the pics and his description claimed) . No windows and cutting that really shows the best off of the material.

I'm going to be setting one of the Amethysts first because I fell head over heels with it (they were prefect for earrings, but one of them just really spoke to me, which is strange becuase they really were a fabulous matched set). And I gave the other to my best friend (who I'm visiting on vacation) because she REALLY was impressed by it, and they are so lovely I want a ring anyway so I can stare at it, so I was torn about what to do with the other one. Gifting it was the perfect solution. Because she wants a ring too and the stones were so beautiful that they just NEED to be stared at, ya know?

And now I'm wondering what to do with the peridot. Cause I want to stare at it, it's so cool, but I'm also thinking about asking Dana if he can just me a match to it, so I can do earrings with it. A pair of them would just make some truly amazing earrings. And he said he has more of the material.

Okay so... promise I'll do a fuller post (and even try to do a side by side vendor pic versus real life pic) of the stones when I get home (so later this week or this weekend). But I wanted to give you a run down Pheonix, as promised. ASAP.

Take much care.
35.gif
And big hugs, and thank you again for your extremely sweet and flattering post.
Gypsy, thank YOU so much for taking the time off your holiday to write. I'm really happy that you're going to help me with the setting, YAY!! and it's true you do have lot of amazing ideas.

I'm very happy too that you like your stones. I gather from Dana's posts that he's very sincere and feel that I will not be disappointed when I get my stones, even more so now that you've posted your own experience, so thanks for that.

OOOOHHH, I think I know which stones you bought. They're FABULOUS!! So generous of you to gift one of the amethysts to your best friend. I bet she's over the moon. I do also love the peridot and like very much the idea of you getting a matching stone so you can have them set as earrings. YAY!
36.gif

As far as style goes, oh I really don't know, Gypsy. I've never had any experience setting gemstones before. What I can say is what you've read and seen of me and my diamonds is basically who I am. I like flashy, big bold jewellery but at the same time I'm not extremely showy, if that makes sense (?). I am honest and sincere and basically WYSIWYG; so I guess I don't like my jewellery to look different from what I am as a person. Clothes-wise, I run around mostly in non-branded leggings and spaghetti-top T-shirts, but when I dress up I like Gucci, DVF, Max Mara, BCBG, YSL. I think I'm also an Armani, Valentino and Chanel kind of gal but to date haven't been able to afford those items yet!
7.gif
I wear Gucci and Choo shoes and carry LV's, Gucci, Chanel and Choo bags. So that's basically my style, not sure that *it* is exactly, LOL!
1.gif
I'd like my jewellery to match my style but again is that comteporary or ultra modern, I'm not too sure. I don't think I'm a vintage kind of gal but would love to own some antique cushion some days!
18.gif

I'm probably ramblling on too much, LOL!

Hope you continue to have a fab holiday, sweetie.

Can't wait to see pics of yr new lovelies and can't wait to "hear" the details of how you're going to set them. I know what you mean abt wanting to stare at the stones. I am mesmerised just from looking at Dana's pics on his website. Whatever you do with yr stones, I bet they're going to be gorgeous!
30.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2009 6:48:31 PM
Author: litebrite
Ok, I did a google images search. Hard to find trillions of that size, but here's what I came up with:

Citrine in double halo of citrine with diamond accents

Square citrine in two different colored haloes - just to see if you like the look

this page has lots of big pendants for ideas

I would probably do an upside down trillion with an oval colored gem like a purplish garnet or blue-green quartz on top but I kinda like the double halo with diamond accents as well.

This is a fun hunt :)
Thank you very much for both of your posts, litebrite! So sweet of you to send me all the links. I especially like the citrine in double halo with diamond accents. That's quite unusual and very interesting looking.

Unfortunately, I have short fingers, well they're both short and small. I have little hands
7.gif
. Still dreaming of having the green tourmaline set in a ring but will have to see. I'm exploring all possible ideas but I'm guessing when the stone is actually on my finger, that's when I'll know. There's something to be said, like Gypsy mentioned, about wanting to set the stone as a ring so I can continue to be entranced by its beauty and gorgeous rich colour
1.gif

I LOVE LM as you may know but his prices, though reasonable enough for diamonds, may be a a llittle too steep for gemstones. I think I may ask the jeweller in Singapore to see if they can help me set these babies.

I'm having such a fun time looking at all these different styles and dreaming about how my stones are going to look, once set, YAY!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2009 11:23:34 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/31/2009 9:03:48 AM
I''ve confirmed with Dana that I''ll be getting the green tourmaline and that monstrously huge citrine. YAY!!
36.gif

30.gif
That is gorgeous lady!
Thank you, Ma''am. I think so too, he he!!
2.gif
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, looking at Dana''s website is REALLY like being in a candy store (and s.o. said something about "crack", LOL)!! You just can''t seem to stop!!
6.gif
1.gif

I''m also getting these in addition to the green tourmaline and citrine:

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5711 (I think they''ll look nice halo''ed in white diamond melee - perhaps as drop jackets to my fabulous BGD studs); and

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5634 (i love the rich colour on this. I bet it''ll look nice as a halo''ed ring, something similar to LVnut'').

Also thinking abt this but not 100% sure yet: http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5434. I think someone said in another thread it might be dark. I''ve asked Dana and am waiting for him to get back on this.

I''d really better STOP browsing Dana''s website now. Hubby ain''t going to be too pleased with how this spending moratorium is going (or rather NOT going, LOL)!!
3.gif

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Lols, I was looking at the sphene pair too, I''m glad you picked them up. I was entraced by how they look like snake eyes (in a good way.)

I totally get what you mean about short fingers. Let''s just say I wasn''t genetically gifted to be a pianist
3.gif
It''s possible that the green tourm might look really good on your finger then - I have this idea that things set N-S look good on my hands and make them look slightly longer.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 4:35:41 AM
By the way, looking at Dana''s website is REALLY like being in a candy store (and s.o. said something about ''crack'', LOL)!! You just can''t seem to stop!!
6.gif
1.gif

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5711 (I think they''ll look nice halo''ed in white diamond melee - perhaps as drop jackets to my fabulous BGD studs); and

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5634 (i love the rich colour on this. I bet it''ll look nice as a halo''ed ring, something similar to LVnut'').

Also thinking abt this but not 100% sure yet: http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5434. I think someone said in another thread it might be dark. I''ve asked Dana and am waiting for him to get back on this.

I''d really better STOP browsing Dana''s website now. Hubby ain''t going to be too pleased with how this spending moratorium is going (or rather NOT going, LOL)!!
3.gif
Um, yeah. Your moratorium is going nothing like mine is!!!
11.gif
39.gif
9.gif

Those earring would be yummy, so many colors! And the other stones are pretty as well Phoenix. Lucky duck.

Gee, all I want is a diamond pendant, but noooooooo.
25.gif
2.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 4:21:25 PM

Date: 9/2/2009 4:35:41 AM
By the way, looking at Dana''s website is REALLY like being in a candy store (and s.o. said something about ''crack'', LOL)!! You just can''t seem to stop!!
6.gif
1.gif

3.gif
Um, yeah. Your moratorium is going nothing like mine is!!!
11.gif
39.gif
9.gif

Those earring would be yummy, so many colors! And the other stones are pretty as well Phoenix. Lucky duck.

Gee, all I want is a diamond pendant, but noooooooo.
25.gif
2.gif
If you guys need another hobby to occupy yourselves during your gemstone moritorium, might I suggest taking up stringing? Link
1.gif
Who knows where this will lead?
9.gif

Go Phoenix! Looking forward to more gemstone pictures.
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 10:36:19 PM
Author: Fly Girl

If you guys need another hobby to occupy yourselves during your gemstone moritorium, might I suggest taking up stringing? Link
1.gif
9.gif

3.gif
lol.gif
slap4.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 7:54:58 AM

Date: 9/2/2009 10:36:19 PM
Author: Fly Girl

1.gif
9.gif

3.gif
lol.gif
slap4.gif
LOL!! Sounds like a good idea, Fly Girl, buuuutttt may I ask where all the sparkle and fire are going to come from?!!
2.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results