shape
carat
color
clarity

I love seeing peoples reaction...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I enjoy talking about jewelry!That is no surprise to the forum...Yesterday I was at the bank and the young teller had on a vintage 1950s diamond cocktail ring worn as a wedding ring.After the transaction, I asked her"Is your ring from your grandmother?"She actually grabbed her hand and said"why yes...how did you know that"...I responded..."I phychic" and started to walk away then told her that" I am a jewelry appraiser".This was met with a literal sigh of relief and a smile....I have fun seeing the many reactions of people when I ask them about their vintage jewelry.Its a real conversation starter in movie lines or the grocery store checkout... Recently used this as a conversation starter in a job interview for a non-jewelry related job... Does the forum have any stories to share about talking to people about their jewelry.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is the job search going JM?
35.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 6:31:12 AM
Author: Lorelei
35.gif
Thanks so much for asking...not well...as I mentioned in another thread...Ive interviewed and been offered positions(surprisingly...3 in one week) for several jewelry related jobs from management to sales...but because I am unable to work on Sundays(religious reasons)I have found myself un-employable in the trade after 30 years.I have interviewed outside of the trade but most companies that are interested in my management or customer service background need me to work on the Sabbath.I have even offered to work nights and all Saturdays but Sunday scheduling seems to be the deal breaker....they dont seem to need experianced and reliable employees Monday through Saturday...I guess all retail companies make ALL their money on Sundays only....the economy has also affected the ability to find full time employment....even with my year old degree in Organizational Communication and business(I graduated with a 3.8 G.P.A.)companies in my area are laying off rather then taking on new employees...sorry for the rant...but its about 4:50 am and ive actually been up for an hour looking on the internet at the job sites...and some how found my way to pricescope...Once again...thanks for asking...its appreciated.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/30/2008 6:57:32 AM
Author: jewelerman

35.gif
Thanks so much for asking...not well...as I mentioned in another thread...Ive interviewed and been offered positions(surprisingly...3 in one week) for several jewelry related jobs from management to sales...but because I am unable to work on Sundays(religious reasons)I have found myself un-employable in the trade after 30 years.I have interviewed outside of the trade but most companies that are interested in my management or customer service background need me to work on the Sabbath.I have even offered to work nights and all Saturdays but Sunday scheduling seems to be the deal breaker....they dont seem to need experianced and reliable employees Monday through Saturday...I guess all retail companies make ALL their money on Sundays only....the economy has also affected the ability to find full time employment....even with my year old degree in Organizational Communication and business(I graduated with a 3.8 G.P.A.)companies in my area are laying off rather then taking on new employees...sorry for the rant...but its about 4:50 am and ive actually been up for an hour looking on the internet at the job sites...and some how found my way to pricescope...Once again...thanks for asking...its appreciated.
I am so sorry it isn''t going well JM, I thought you must have been up very early where you are. Hang in there, the right opportunity WILL present itself! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that a wonderful new job comes along as quickly as possible!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/30/2008 7:17:36 AM

Date: 8/30/2008 6:57:32 AM
Author: jewelerman

35.gif
I am so sorry it isn''t going well JM, I thought you must have been up very early where you are. Hang in there, the right opportunity WILL present itself! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that a wonderful new job comes along as quickly as possible!!
Ditto, Lorelei! JM, I''m so sorry you''re having so much trouble! It''s a shame they won''t hire you just because of the Sundays issue. Most jewelry stores in my area aren''t even open on Sundays!
7.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry you haven''t been able to find employment, jm! I''m sending my most positive thoughts that something comes along for you soon!!

As far as your original post goes............I recently hurt my right wrist helping my MIL at her garage sale. Due to the medication I am on I have to be checked out by a doctor any time I hurt myself so I went to our 24 hr Doctor''s clinic. I was sitting there telling the female doctor what had happened and she says "OHHHH, LET ME SEE!" I''m thinking to myself...Uhh Ohh, this doesn''t sound good when she grabs my hand and starts drooling over my sapphire ring. Then she spots my sapphire pendant which lead to a 20 minute discussion about sapphires and how the ones in mall stores are just so dark and she wants one with color like mine but can''t find one, etc. I ended up giving her all my sources for finding a great sapphire and she was so appreciative. It was the strangest doctors visit I ever had!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just sent a lady to PS this morning! I took some pets to the vet and one of the employees said "I LOVE your ring, where did you get it?" which launched a long conversation about PS and our local jeweler. I told her to check out the SMTR folder, I hope she does.

Jewelerman--I know this has NOTHING to do with jewelry, but Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays for religious purposes. Maybe they have an upper-management position available for you, at least for now.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
I am always too scared to ask people about their jewelry... unless we are aquanted. I was asked by the man making my coffee in starbucks to explain my mothers pendant. I always enjoy telling people the story of it''s design concept and creation!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Wow those are some really interesting stories about peoples reactions!

Jewelerman I know that the Sabbath thing can be hard with work (we do it too) so I am sending good thoughts your way to find a great job.
1.gif

Mrs.2Artists

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck in your job search! I''ve noticed that Franklin-Covey stores are also closed on Sundays, even those located in malls where every other store is open on Sundays.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A young lady at one of our other (car) dealerships was wearing a set I didn''t remember seeing on her hand before. I told her it was a lovely wedding set, and asked if it was vintage (I already knew it was). She told me a wonderful story about how she had been adopted in a closed/sealed adoption, and did not get to know her birth family until after she was 18 yrs old. They actually contacted her, because her birth mother''s mother had willed her wedding ring set to this young lady. When she was a baby, before she was given up, she used to sit in her grandmother''s lap and be fascinated by these rings, twisting them around and around. (She must have been adopted after she was several months old.) So now the girl was wearing her grandmother''s rings and loving them, and her husband is wearing his deceased father''s ring. I thought that was a wonderful, sentimental, and romantic story; and it''s some really special family history to share with her own kids and grandkids.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Okay catmom,
Your story brought back a memory you might get a laugh out of...A year and a half ago as a student at the University of Utah I fell on some ice and shattered my hip and femer...My friends tell me that as the nurses readied me for emegancy surgery(which after i didnt walk from Nov until April) and under sadation, I kept asking the nurses and doctors about their rings and reminding them to have their prongs checked for wear and tear!even under sadation I LIKE THE BLING!....

thanks to everyone for their thoughts,prayers and i will look into the the job leads that have been suggested...Thanks!
Date: 8/30/2008 10:24:29 AM
Author: Catmom
I''m so sorry you haven''t been able to find employment, jm! I''m sending my most positive thoughts that something comes along for you soon!!

As far as your original post goes............I recently hurt my right wrist helping my MIL at her garage sale. Due to the medication I am on I have to be checked out by a doctor any time I hurt myself so I went to our 24 hr Doctor''s clinic. I was sitting there telling the female doctor what had happened and she says ''OHHHH, LET ME SEE!'' I''m thinking to myself...Uhh Ohh, this doesn''t sound good when she grabs my hand and starts drooling over my sapphire ring. Then she spots my sapphire pendant which lead to a 20 minute discussion about sapphires and how the ones in mall stores are just so dark and she wants one with color like mine but can''t find one, etc. I ended up giving her all my sources for finding a great sapphire and she was so appreciative. It was the strangest doctors visit I ever had!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL jewelerman, that''s pretty funny......I guess you can take the jewelerman out of the jewelry store but you can''t take the jewelry out of the man.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results