shape
carat
color
clarity

I just bought an ideal-scope ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
I will be buying a diamond from a local jeweler because of the great deal he is giving me. However, he doesn''t have an ideal-scope so he cannot provide me with any images to indicate the light return. I just bought an ideal-scope and will receive it in the mail in a few days. Is it difficult to interpret the light return using one of these? I have looked at all the tutorials and of course it seems easy but I wanted to hear from anyone who has tried it themselves. Thanks for any replies.
1.gif

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
It is a great tool to play with.

If you are buying a Round diamond, the IS is of great help. You should be able to view hearts and arrows. Look for Red and dark brown all over. If you see any pink/pale pink/white colors then that is where light leaks through. Look for red spread all over.

If you are planning on using the IS on fancy cut stones, then it is not of great help by itself. But it can be used as a great comparison tool. You can use the IS to compare two stones and see which stone returns more light. In that way you can cut down your choices. Of course, you will see a lot more white/pink colors on fancy cuts than on round cuts. This is because fancy cuts are cut for shape and not primarily for light return.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Here is a page showing how IS is used.
http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_howto.asp

Here is a set of reference charts which will show you what to look for (leakage) and how to interpret physical symmetry and major proportions.
http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart.asp

Clarification: Most well cut stones will display what Kevin referred to as arrows (patterning in the crown) - see the physical symmetry diagrams on the reference chart linked above. However, the IS image operates on backlighting. A H&A viewer relies on light from above. They are different designs. You won't be able to view pavilion patterning (hearts), but this is no big deal if you're not specifically seeking a H&A type diamond.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
I''d agree, very easy to use.

Tho its easy to see the Arrows, the hearts i cant, - at least using the 3 claibration CZs i have i cant see the Hearts image, as all the light that enters through the paviliion exits through the crown... meaning all i see table down is a pink/red outline and a white center.

Play with the CZ you should recieve with the scope so you can get used to what to look for, and how the image alters depending on where the diamond is held in relation to the scope.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I also agree it''s very easy to use. There are picture instructions on the box it comes in. Just follow that. It''s even easier if you bought that light thingy.

The main thing you need to practice is to get used to looking at good stones or images so you''ll recognize a bad stone when you see one. Under those stupid jeweler lights, most stones look really sparkly and it''s hard for a beginner to tell them apart. The I-S helps immensely.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I feel good about the purchase now.

I am looking for a princess cut so hopefully I''ll be able to tell the differences between a good and bad stone. The package I bought comes with the light source that you place the diamond on so that shouldn''t be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results