shape
carat
color
clarity

I have this Mahenge currently on hold... thoughts/comments?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I have this Mahenge currently on hold... thoughts/commen

two_little_birds|1421346271|3816904 said:
I have shared the link for the post with Marty and Yvonne. I've asked Marty for hand shots and in the past he has provided them, so we shall see.

Many vendors dislike this to the point where they will refuse to deal with PSers once the potential buyer discloses as being active on this forum. I've read one too many cases where we have been described as too fussy or psychotic on a different forum. :rolleyes:

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1421412773|3817314 said:
I have shared the link for the post with Marty and Yvonne. I've asked Marty for hand shots and in the past he has provided them, so we shall see.

Many vendors dislike this to the point where they will refuse to deal with PSers once the potential buyer discloses as being active on this forum. I've read one too many cases where we have been described as too fussy or psychotic on a different forum. :rolleyes:

Agree with Chrono.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

sparkleismyfavcolor|1421365285|3817104 said:
Oh no! Did he say why?

I simply asked if it was too much to ask to get a hand shot, and he replied "yes it's too much".

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Very professional :shock:

So I think they are photoshopped!! A handshot is only a few minutes....

Another vendor I would never try....

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1421412773|3817314 said:

Yes - it is stupid course good experience with a vendor ( for example: these incredible beautiful afghan tourmalines!!) are worth a lot!!!

And I think most here are not pschotic :D :loopy:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

two_little_birds|1421418789|3817365 said:
sparkleismyfavcolor|1421365285|3817104 said:
Oh no! Did he say why?

I simply asked if it was too much to ask to get a hand shot, and he replied "yes it's too much".

Ouch! :silenced:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ow, what a pity they will not provide handshots. Have you decided what to do?

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

Acinom|1421431652|3817496 said:

Still working with Yvonne on a few options, and also Jenna from Prima.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

two_little_birds|1421433039|3817516 said:
Acinom|1421431652|3817496 said:

Still working with Yvonne on a few options, and also Jenna from Prima.

It's great that you have access to several good vendors! I hope you will find your dreamstone soon.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

Thoughts on either of these from Prima...

1.19ct on the left, and 1.54ct on the right.

_26088.jpg

_26089.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sweet! Any chance of a video of the 2 stones together? Do they have fluorescence? What is the indoor colour shift like?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful - how much each ????

I am sure they have a strong fluorescence - can you take both :D ???

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

So glad you've got some other good vendors to work with! From what I've heard, those two are really known for their work with Mahenges anyway, so that's a great plus.

and YAY! for two very nice gemstone contenders! Does the larger one have a small window, or is that just table glare? Just from those pics I think I like the smaller one better.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

Marlow said:
And I think most here are not pschotic :D :loopy:

Marlow, you crack me up!! :lol:

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

Comments from Jenna...

Weight: 1.19 CTS
Dimensions: 5.2 x 7.4 MM
Price: $1,072.5
This oval is probably my favorite of the bunch. It is nice medium saturation with a gorgeous neon color. It is also wonderfully cut with a beautiful face, and will fit nicely into any 5 x 7.5 setting.

Weight: 1.54 CTS
Dimensions: 6.3 x 8.4 MM
Price: $1,540
This spinel is so beautiful and brilliant, it almost looks like candy. To me, this is a perfect spinel.

To answer Chrono's questions...
"Sorry, but we don't have the proper equipment to take nice videos of the stones. The stones do have amazing fluorescence, and I've attached a few pictures so that you can see this. As for the indoor shift, we only have fluorescent lights in the office, which is the light we've used in the pictures we sent you. If we take the pictures under our tube lights, it would be the same, only stronger light. It wouldn't make much of a difference."

20150116_163149.jpg

20150116_163157.jpg

20150116_163210.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am pretty sure that I've seen the 1.19 carat spinel. It was in the parcel of stones that Yvonne, Jaimeen and Jenna collectively picked out to bring to the Intergem show for me to look at. I came close to buying it after looking at stones from Prima, Vance and other vendors at the show. In fact, I would've bought it if I could've afforded 2 stones at the time. However, I decided to stick with my decision to buy the magenta stone (older stock) which the color that first attracted me to the mahenges.

Assuming it's the same stone, here is how Jaimeen described it to me.

1.19 cts Oval Mahenge Spinel. Measures 7.4 x 5.2 mm. Very bright and very eye catching. This stone is a little fireball. Great flouresence as well. The cut is great and I do not see any extinction at all. To my eyes it is about 85% pink, 10% red and 5% orange (only in certain lights do you see a hint of orange, other lights its mostly only pink).

Did you mention that you were referred to them by PS members?

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

lilmosun|1421456871|3817780 said:
I am pretty sure that I've seen the 1.19 carat spinel. It was in the parcel of stones that Yvonne, Jaimeen and Jenna collectively picked out to bring to the Intergem show for me to look at. I came close to buying it after looking at stones from Prima, Vance and other vendors at the show. In fact, I would've bought it if I could've afforded 2 stones at the time. However, I decided to stick with my decision to buy the magenta stone (older stock) which the color that first attracted me to the mahenges.

Assuming it's the same stone, here is how Jaimeen described it to me.

1.19 cts Oval Mahenge Spinel. Measures 7.4 x 5.2 mm. Very bright and very eye catching. This stone is a little fireball. Great flouresence as well. The cut is great and I do not see any extinction at all. To my eyes it is about 85% pink, 10% red and 5% orange (only in certain lights do you see a hint of orange, other lights its mostly only pink).

Did you mention that you were referred to them by PS members?

It could be the same, it's the one I actually like better. Just wish it was bigger. :naughty:

No I didn't mention I was a PS member, not yet anyways.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I completely understand concerns on the size. I wear a size 8 and need finger coverage.

My magenta mahenge from Prima is only 1.09 carats and even though it was the only old stock one I could find, I almost passed due to size. It looked so much smaller than I was used to. Fortunately, Jaimeen let me take the stone around to see how it would look in a setting (which of course made it look larger). My "temporary" one (neon bubblegum pink) was only .55 carats and ended up being a keeper, although I do stack it. Both stones stand out and often get compliments from total strangers. I have had no regrets buying smaller to get the color/quality I wanted...but I am an rookie stone buyer here and haven't had much to compare it to other than drooling over pictures here. In the end, you have to be happy with it. If only I wasn't so late in the game :sigh:

Mention you are a PS member it may help with pricing.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I won't have access to my computer for a few days so am posting this without knowing if its the same stone but...

Ask Jenna if the stone is the same "neon pink" stone that she brought to Chantilly for the customer who ended up buying the magenta. She might also remember me as the customer she wanted to buy the little mahenge ring from.

IF it is the same stone, here are more pictures she had sent me when I was picking out stones for her to bring to the show:

spinel_1_6.jpg

spinel_1_7.jpg

spinel_1_8.jpg

spinel_1_9.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lol...now that I resurrected the pictures, I wish I had gone back to buy it haha

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

OK, it's now down to these 4 ovals... any "expert" opinions?

1. 1.19ct from Prima ($1,072.50)
2. 1.54ct from Prima ($1,540.00)
3. 1.61ct from Yvonne but sourced from Prima ($1,932)
4. 2.05ct from Yvonne but sourced from Prima ($2,460)

_26143.jpg

_26144.jpg

hand_32.jpg

table_shot.jpg

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

This is going to be a right hand ring for me, and I'm thinking of setting it in a simple 14k white gold semi-bezel.

half-bezel-contemporary.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There's quite a bit of that half/half extinction going on in the first two ovals toward the top. What do you think of these stones in comparison to the ones you've seen before in person?

hand_32.jpg

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1421544527|3818250 said:
There's quite a bit of that half/half extinction going on in the first two ovals toward the top. What do you think of these stones in comparison to the ones you've seen before in person?

hand_32.jpg

Agree. My two personal favourites at this point are the 1.19 and 1.61. Yvonne has been amazing to deal with and she's going to be me photos of all 4 side-by-side (she's going to pick up the other two from Prima).

It's hard to compare them to others, as I've seen quite a few different ones. Some more red, some more magenta and some bubble gum pink. Plus I'm comparing photos as opposed to the real live thing.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock

TL said:
There's quite a bit of that half/half extinction going on in the first two ovals toward the top.

The two spinels of Yvonne's I saw had the same half and half extinction going on in the pictures, but it was quite a bit less noticeable when I saw them IRL.

Just some random thoughts on these - Prima's prices seem to be a bit better than Yvonne's. Also, are Yvonne's from the parcel she recently got that were old stock but more included? And, some of Yvonne's are very bright but may be a bit less saturated. Still, IMHO her stones are gorgeous, and she said while she's in Tucson she will probably be having a sale to raise funds! :naughty:

Have fun choosing from these beautiful spinels! :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love that 1.19 from Prima. If you are not sure about the size, then I would keep looking.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock

And a few photos of them all side-by-side...

new_7.jpg

new_8.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I believe that Yvonne buys her stones from Prima, so she's tacking on a middle man fee to what she bought the stone for directly from Prima. Just something to consider.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock

TLB, I have been following this thread with bated breath and the suspense of what you are going to choose is killing me! And I need a money tree... :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results