shape
carat
color
clarity

I have the idea, but need advice on the implementation of it

Anonymous6

Shiny_Rock
This is kind of an extension to my earlier post below about how we always go look at Xmas lights...

So every year I've known her, we've gone out and looked at xmas lights just driving around, going through those winter wonderland things, etc...

Well, this year it was her idea (she brought it up) "let's get a limo when we're in Houston! and drive around and look at lights and go to dinner! make an event out of it!"

I thought this was pretty sweet as it's her idea and she'd have no idea. (she always said she wanted to be completely surprised).... so I'm going to set up the limo (yeah expensive on xmas eve I know haha)... and we'd drive around and look at lights like we've done for 5 years now and have champagne or her favorite bottle of wine just drinking having a nice evening. And ideally, (this is the biggest issue), I'd like to find somewhere PRIVATE with a bunch of xmas lights... don't wanna do it in public ya know? So, the limo would stop, we'd go out and take a look (I'm picturing some kind of gazebo with lights all around or something similar) and I'd drop to a knee and say what I want to say and propose to her with the BGD ring :)

From there, she thinks we're going to dinner... but I would set up a private room at the restaurant with all our family and friends in it. The limo would drop us off at the restaurant, at this point engaged, and we'd walk in and be lead to the private room with all of our family and friends for her to share the moment with.

My main problem with this idea is finding a private area in Houston area with xmas lights that is romantic etc.... keyword: private

Thoughts on the overall idea???

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: I have the idea, but need advice on the implementation o

ooh, that sounds great! i don't know of any private places with lights though...where do you usually go? you also want to make sure she can 'see' the ring, so maybe somewhere that is a little more lit up?

Anonymous6

Shiny_Rock

hmmmm possible conflict brought to me by her sister

she may want to stay in with her family that night ya know? being xmas eve...

slg47

Ideal_Rock

wasnt it her idea to do the limo thing? or do you mean afterward? because afterward you have her entire family there...

can you do the lights on another day, maybe the 22 or 23?

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock

You gave me goosebumps! I think it will be a total surprise for her, I know here in Canada alot of cities have the paraliment buildings all lit up and they are usually very quiet and personal, with fountains and typically there are gasibos as well.... if you are living in a colder city there are usually outdoor skating rinks, or big Christmas trees/Light displays on City Halls etc... maybe there? Most parks are lit up, and if they're not, maybe you can talk to them about setting up some lights to make it perfect? ..... candles/lights... Maybe even spell out something in lights for your own added touch to the light show :):)...

Anonymous6

Shiny_Rock

It was her idea, but she doesn't know what day yet. So busy on Xmas eve and Xmas day with dinners and family etc... so I don't think I'll be able to pull her out of any of that without it being really suspicious. The 22nd and 23rd are too early (I'm picking up the ring on the 22nd and formally asking her mom and dad that night for their permission) From there, we'll discuss what everyone's plans are for Sunday the 26th....

I've actually tricked her into thinking I'm getting her a new bumper for her car because it's dinged up and not even a year old... so she thinks that's her Xmas gift. (nice and lame sounding for added effect)

So, that kind of leaves open another day maybe Sunday after Xmas to do what I originally had planned. Things will have calmed down a bit on the 26th and her and my entire family will be free of obligations (i believe) to celebrate the engagement together.

I just gotta find a cool private place in Houston! That's the tough part. It's definitely not a cold city (it'll prob be low 40s to high 30s?) but definitely no snow. IF it snows, I'll literally just drop to a knee when we're outside and ask her then haha.

So nice lit up romantic place in Houston (hopefully they don't all shut down lights after xmas?).... maybe get the limo driver to snap a picture from afar of the proposal haha, it'll be dark but better than no picture I guess. Get back in the limo to go to "dinner" which really turns out to be a surprise gathering of family and friends.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is a really HUGE Christmas tree in the Galleria mall. I mean, this sucker is as BIG and tall as the building itself and it's beautiful! There is an ice skating rink inside as well that offers public skate, so you can skate around the tree and everything. I'm not sure where there are great lights in Houston (electricity is getting expensive so a lot of people aren't doing lights anymore) but you could do something like that. I'm not sure what your dinner budget but near the Galleria (kinda hard to find) is a place called the Post Oak Grill which is AMAZING! (reasonable prices for what it is) and also down a ways there are 2 really nice restaurants (higher end though) called De Marcos (sp?) and Marks (which is the nicest restaurant in Houston) which is in an old church that is BEAUTIFUL inside. The area outside looks a little sketchy, but the resturant is amazing and De Marcos is right down the street (fine dining Italian). There is also another restaurant that has a beautiful water view called Brenners.
http://brennerssteakhouse.com/bayou/default.htm

http://www.damarcohouston.com/

http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

If you want to do something way off the wall and romantic you could go to Kemah boardwalk and get a yacht and watch the sunset on the water, they do rentals for reasonable prices, although it may be a little cold for that. If you went that route there are really nice restaurants right in that area, there is the Chart House (fine dining seafood) cajan food, a steak house, sushi, etc. all right there on the boardwalk as well as rides (rollarcoaster) and a lot of cute shops in the area (old pictures taken, etc)

If you do want to go to Brenners steak house (the outside of that place is beautiful, water falls, river flowing though) talk to the manager Sean and tell him what your plans are. Tell him Stephanie who used to work at Saltgrass Humble sent you, and for a proposal and he should hook you up with a nice table. You could go there for dinner and then head out for Christmas lights.

Good luck!

amc80

Ideal_Rock

Anonymous6|1292273135|2795848 said:
It was her idea, but she doesn't know what day yet. So busy on Xmas eve and Xmas day with dinners and family etc... so I don't think I'll be able to pull her out of any of that without it being really suspicious. The 22nd and 23rd are too early (I'm picking up the ring on the 22nd and formally asking her mom and dad that night for their permission) From there, we'll discuss what everyone's plans are for Sunday the 26th....

I would try to do it the 23rd. That way it doesn't interfere with Christmas and she will have the rock to share with the family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results