shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a good example of ''boy soon''...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Anzhelika

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies (and Gents, if you''re reading),

I''m new and have been lurking here for over a month now without respite, so I decided it''s time to join in on the ''fun''!

Here is my story: my boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years this past June. We actually began discussing marriage within 4 months of dating, agreeing that 6 months is the minimum time needed to date before getting engaged without looking "inappropriate". As 6 mos. got closer, he asked if we could not keep to the original time-line, and I agreed, because I, too, was getting a bit nervous. However, we''ve waited long enough by now to both feel certain about each other. I know two years is NOT a LONG time, but we''re both older (he''s 45 and I''m 32) and neither of us have ever been married, and, hey, when you know, you just know.

Fast forward to last March or April and I had a mini-meltdown (I''m a graduate student writing my PhD thesis, so it''s not hard to imagine) about where my life was heading; I felt like I had no security of any kind: financial, job, housing, MARRIAGE (or where the relationship was heading), etc. Cut to the chase, he informed me that my future is with him! Previous to this, I had asked him when we were going to get engaged and he replied, "Soon" (this was before I discovered Pricescope and the"boy soon vs. girl soon" debate!). That answer had pacified me, until my mom asked what "soon" meant...hmm...she had a point, but I didn''t bring it up again for fear of looking "desperate" to get engaged. Anyhow, he informed me during this meltdown of mine that he was planning on proposing before next year, more towards the end of this one (hmm...his mom last Christmas made an allusion to me getting an engagement ring next year at Christmas-time. Maybe she knew something even then!). He was afraid he had "ruined" the surprise by telling me this--now, mind you, I just got a general time-line, no specifics! "Ruined?"!!! More like "saved me months of wondering and worrying"!

So I later reflected back on the "soon" conversation and determined that "soon" to him meant 9 months to a year! As a girl, of course I thought it meant within the next few weeks, at the most a month. Men are so weird!

My new dilemma: I received a prestigious grant to do research and live abroad for a year starting this October, and I''m really getting antsy trying to figure out if he will propose before I leave or will try to stick with his original plan (whatever that is). I feel like we have no real committment if I go to Europe without a ring on my finger. It''s nice to say, "yeah, we''ll get married soon," but until the proposal comes, I''m not counting on it (can you tell I''ve been burned before? However, my bf is a person with a lot of integrity, so I don''t think he''s pulling one over on me). Aargh! The waiting!

Thanks for listening! You may add me to the list!!!

-Lisa

P.S. Sorry for the length--I didn''t realize I had this much of a vent coming on!

Anzhelika

Rough_Rock
Oops..sorry about the tag line about my cat. Please ignore!
41.gif

Aim_Turbo

Rough_Rock
I know how frustrating it is...believe me!! My BF has been telling me "it''s sooner then you think" since last october and still nothing!!! How could he even think that''s soon!!! It''s almost been a yr! anyways I digress. Boy soon is VERY annoying I know but hang in there, I''m sure he''s just waiting for the perfect moment. I know mine is..who knows when that is but whateves. A good single friend of mine said it right "just be happy you have a great man who dotes on you". those few words put things into perspective for me and I''ve chilled a bit since (i don''t bring it up EVERY single day with everybody i talk too haha!). Pretty soon you''ll be the girl saying "I''m engaged!!!!" and the rest of us will be like "YAY!" then grrrr hahah!

take care,
aim

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hey there,

Well, this worries me a little. Most men who are 45 and desirable and have never been married but say they are interested in marriage have commitment issues. The fact that he said he was sure and then is just procrastinating sounds OH SO FAMILIAR and oh, so not good! At least in the experience of me and my friends.

If you''re about to make career decisions partly based on him, I would nail it down before you go. Just say to him, look, I would like to be engaged before I leave because I can''t deal with a long distance relationship if I''m not 100% sure it''s committed for good. That gives you a natural ''deadline'' without giving an unnatural ''ultimatum''. Because it just makes sense.

Another thing to consider is if you want kids. Every six months he waits changes the probability that little bit more that you''ll have problems. But at our age, the little bit is becoming a bigger and bigger bit.

At this point, I think it''s ok to push. He should know what''s what, and it''s totally natural for you to want to know too before you plan a big step like moving abroad.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, i remember the first time I heard the word soon...it is now a year later. I have learned that boys have no idea what that word means.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does he feel about you going to Europe for a year? I''d think he might think you''re not serious about marriage if you can just leave him for a year. Hope that''s not the case, but it just crossed my mind.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS, Lisa.

I feel your pain--my BF has been saying soon for about a year now, so I''m in a similar boat. As for everyone else''s concerns about commitment, perhaps talking to BF about your opportunity to go abroad for a year is the perfect way to open up a conversation about your future together.

Good luck, and congrats on getting that grant!

Picos

Rough_Rock
He might think that you dont think much about your relationship if you''re willing to just "leave" him to go to Europe.

You want to sound independent, you want to sound like you''re willing to go anywhere to live your life as you see fit (which of course, you are!), etc etc. He could be a little scared of you leaving him!

It wouldn''t hurt to talk to him; that way, you can tell him/ reasure him that are future minded.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome! I so know what you mean on the whole "soon" thing. We bought our ring last week and he says that he is going to do it soon. I ask him what soon means and he says by this time next year!!! How is that soon
20.gif
I have a feeling he might do it around christmas, which is still not soon to me but at least it would be better than next year! I''d sit him down and talk about you going away and how you''d like to be engaged before you go.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps he''s holding back because of the grant? My guess is you won''t be focused on planning a wedding while living abroad, so that would set your wedding date back at least a year. I can see it running through his mind: "What would be the point of proposing only for you to move away?"

It sounds like it''s time to have a sit down chat with him and figure out where you are headed as a couple in more concrete terms than "soon."

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2007 11:14:04 AM
Author: KimberlyH
Perhaps he''s holding back because of the grant? My guess is you won''t be focused on planning a wedding while living abroad, so that would set your wedding date back at least a year. I can see it running through his mind: ''What would be the point of proposing only for you to move away?''

It sounds like it''s time to have a sit down chat with him and figure out where you are headed as a couple in more concrete terms than ''soon.''
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results