shape
carat
color
clarity

I got my WF diamond! Need help w/ IS...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I asked before what IS stood for, and then someone pointed out it stood for Ideal Scope.

I picked up my WF stone today from the FedEx station and I couldn''t stop looking at it. I got the tweezers, the 10x loupe, and the IS with my stone. I was looking at my stone through the IS and I could definitely see the hearts and arrows, but I was having difficulty setting it straight on that little platform thing that you set the stone onto before you put the IS on top of it.

Am I doing it correctly? If you guys have advice on using my IS, I would really appreciate it. Also, if you guys had any additional advice for ways for me to look check my stone...

I dont'' have a very good camera...but I''ll try to post up some pics for you guys...

After I have it independently appraised on Monday(for piece of mind) I am going to work on getting the setting done...time is a tickin!!!

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
btw - In all the IS images from Whiteflash, the diamond is red...am I supposed to see it as red? Cuz I don''t, which further makes me think I''m doing something wrong....

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
If you are talking about the viewing gadget that comes with the diamond, that''s a hearts and arrows viewer. It doesn''t deal with light leakage. It lets you see quite clearly the pattern of the diamond from H&A viewpoint. IT''s kind of purplish red right?

shay

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 7:15:13 PM
Author: Shay37
If you are talking about the viewing gadget that comes with the diamond, that''s a hearts and arrows viewer. It doesn''t deal with light leakage. It lets you see quite clearly the pattern of the diamond from H&A viewpoint. IT''s kind of purplish red right?

shay
Ummm, well, I''m a little colorblind, so I''m not sure.

Yeah, I know it''s a hearts and arrows viewer, is that different from an IS? I know I see the hearts and arrows though. I think sometimes I just don''t set the stone very straight on the little plate. You''re supposed to set the stone into the groove on the little black plate and then set the IS right on top of it, right?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 7:22:19 PM
Author: lil_jay78

Date: 4/6/2006 7:15:13 PM
Author: Shay37

shay
Ummm, well, I''m a little colorblind, so I''m not sure.

Yeah, I know it''s a hearts and arrows viewer, is that different from an IS? I know I see the hearts and arrows though. I think sometimes I just don''t set the stone very straight on the little plate. You''re supposed to set the stone into the groove on the little black plate and then set the IS right on top of it, right?
Yes.

An IS shows light leakage in a stone. H&A viewer shows the pattern. That''s it. try putting a little tape maybe.

shay

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
As Shay said, they aren''t the same.
Here is an IS pic
Classic_NewLineIS.jpg

And this is a H&A view
arrows_original.jpg
hearts_original.jpg

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Shay and Indecisive!!!

That helped a lot. I love looking at the hearts and arrows in my stone. I almost don''t want to have it set and give it away!

ha ha ha ha!

Btw - Indecisive, so did you get your stone yet? I remember you said you were going w/ WF from another post....

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
We just paid for it today
23.gif
!! I don''t get to wear it till my bf proposes but there are pictures in SMTR
9.gif
. I can''t wait to see pics when your ring is done!

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
From what I understand, the hearts & arrows viewer looks like this

h&aviewer.jpg

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
And the Ideal Scope looks like this ....

idealscopepic.JPG

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
And the images that you see through the viewer or ideal scope are what indecisive posted
9.gif

However with the H&A viewer, it depends what colour the inside of the cylinder is, because the inside of mine is red, so mine doesn''t look purple it looks red.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh, okay, thanks again for all the clarification guys. I can''t stop looking at my diamond. What other angles and light settings did you guys check your stone in besides the usuals??? I guess you can say Im'' a little excited.

I''m getting it appraised on Monday, so hopefully Geoffrey Nelson can show me the light/leakage images of my diamond.

I can''t wait to have it set too! And then propose! Yikes!!!

btw - I looked at your smtr post! It looks incredible! I really like it! Ascher(sp?) cuts are really elegant looking.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Shay, Indecisive and MissIndecisive - thanks for your assistance.

Lil-Jay, here is the WF H&A viewer. As was mentioned, this device shows optical symmetry in both the crown view (arrows) and pavilion view (hearts). One of the most difficult things to do is to get the diamond level in that crown-up view. If you set the culet in the slot on the base, then gently tap the base with the tweezers the diamond will often become seated in a more level position.

As others mentioned, the H&A viewer does not show light leakage. The ideal-scope, lit from beneath, is designed for that (crown-view only).

WFHAViewer.jpg

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Thanks John!

Always appreciate the information! Esp w/ setting the stone straight in the viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results