shape
carat
color
clarity

I got in a car crash today

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
I got out ok though with only minor bruising and two swollen ankles. But can you believe that the person who hit me straight out didn''t bother to defrost her windshield!!!!! She had her son in the back seat and she was screaming "I''m sorry I just didn''t see you my window was fogged up" when I checked when she was ok. It was so weird, I thought I died after the crash, I just kept touching my face, double checking because the whole car was smoking and the airbags stung a little bit. Oh and she doesn''t have insurance. I AM SO ANGRY but you know what, I''m also really thankful I''m still alive. I just can''t believe the type of people on the road.

Oh yea, the officer told me that she got cited with a buttload of tickets. My car is pretty much totalled.
7.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness!!!! What a scary day! I''m glad that you''re okay.

phew.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
OMG! How scary! I''m glad you are okay! Take good care of yourself.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
fabcrab,
How scary!! Glad you are ok!!! No insurance?? How does that play out?? Hoping you get some good rest tonight. I'd be putting ice packs on your ankles and keep them elevated.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yikes! Take care, rest and heal. Hope you find a nice replacement car soon.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Aack..!! She could have killed you!! For not bothering to defrost her windshield!!
29.gif
I''m glad you got out fairly okay. It sucks that your car is totalled though. who''s going to pay for this?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you''re ok. Sue that idiot.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s terrible-glad you''re okay! I can''t believe she doesn''t have insurance-is that illegal in your state? It is in mine, I believe! I hope there''s a way for you to get money from her, although I would imagine your insurance will cover it if you can''t get anything from her, right?

Well I hope you feel better soon!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just glad you are OK. Modern cars are built so much better from the standpoint of protecting the passangers.

The reason your car is probably totaled is that it was designed to be totaled to minimize the degree of injuries to the people in it (i.e. The car aborobs a lot of energy by collapsing). Many older people are horrified that the modern cars crush so easy in an accident and want old fashion cars that only get banged up a bit... The problem with those old cars is that then the energy was transmistted to the people inside and extreemly serious injuries and death was common.

Get well - and it will take a bit for that - and look for another car. The car is much cheaper to replace than people... (although it is likely it will cost you additional cash as the insurance companies almost never pay the actual replacement cost).

Remember; have a great day - you''ve got a great life ahead of you.

As far as the other gal.... Don''t get too angree with her. Either she is already feeling horrible becasue she knows she did not properely clean the windows; or she dosn''t get it and nothing you can really do will change that. The leagle system will try their best to educate her.

Perry

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m just so glad you''re okay. I just can''t believe things like this.
29.gif

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the support. I took a day off grad school today and decided to lay low and concentrate studying on my quantum mechanics midterm. I feel a little more sore than yesterday but nothing TOO major. I really appreciate everyone''s concerns.

Well, I filed a claim in my insurance and I think they''re going to cover it. The office said that since she doesn''t have insurance my insurance is going to end up suing her. I was just happy my baby (shih tzu dog) was not in the front seat with me at the time. I honestly think if my dog died, it would have been a lot uglier.

Yeah, I try not to think about the other gal. I''m just trying to get better and concentrate on studying. I think she had it worse, I saw her about to hit me so I was at least sort of ready for the impact but she straight out didn''t see anything and boom. She''s definitely in a lot of trouble.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
oh and to find humor in a terrible situation...I asked hubby to shower me with diamonds since I nearly died today. (didn''t work!) I tried though.
4.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2007 11:40:01 AM
Author: fabcrab
oh and to find humor in a terrible situation...I asked hubby to shower me with diamonds since I nearly died today. (didn''t work!) I tried though.
4.gif
Aww no! I''m glad you are ok - and I am glad you are trying to find some humour in this horrid situation too.

You want me to have a word with him?
9.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
fab crab--I''m so sorry that happened to you!

Something similiar happened to me last night that left me shaking and crying my eyes out.

I was on my way to meet my FI somewhere, and was driving down a feeder road doing 50mph. (The standard speed limit.) I know a lot of states don''t have feeder roads--they are basically roads that run parallel to the freeways. I''ve said it a million times, but I don''t drive on the freeway at all.
Anyway, so I''m minding my own business when someone pulls out of a business parking lot located on the feeder and crosses 3 lanes before they finally cut me off. I''m going 50mph, they are going probably less than 20 because they didn''t have time to accelerate yet. So, basically I had to slam on my breaks which caused my car to skid multiple yards before it finally came to a stop INCHES away from their vehicle. I also couldn''t keep my car straight when t was happening, so I ended up diagonal in my lane with part of my car in the lane next to me. I truly believe I am so lucky. I know would have died. I still can''t believe my car stopped in time, because while it was happening I was sure I was either going to hit them, or someone else was going to hit me.
The driver was on his cell phone...of COURSE.
29.gif
I hate it because there is nothing you can do when you have a close call like that. I could have gotten seriously injured or died by this person''s carelessness, but since an accident didn''t actually occur, I can''t do anything but move on with my life. I hate that I am just expected to deal with it.

Needless to say, I was shaking pretty bad. I hate when that wave of fear takes over your body when your adrenaline is calming down. Know what I''m talking about?

I honestly thinks stuff like that happens to me more than the average person. I don''t know how I could be any more of a safe driver...I don''t speed, I''ve taken defensive driving...FOR FUN, I don''t talk on my cell phone, I follow the rules of the road! I usually stay in the right lane. The only reason I was in the left lane of the feeder last night was because I had a left turn coming up about a half a mile ahead, and I always make sure I''m in my correct lane ahead of time. Unlike other people who wait till the last second.

Earlier in the day, before the close-call, I was on my way to work (again, on the feeder). I was in the right lane, when the car in the lane next to me slowly starts to cross over the line into my lane. What the hell? I realize that I am driving partly on the shoulder while the car next to me is a full foot into my lane. Where do these people come from!! It''s like I''m a magnet for them or something.
I have the strongest feeling that I will die in a car accident.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Glad you are okay, that is the most important thing (and your doggie too)! Its good to hear that your insurance will deal with the headaches (aka paperwork)... that is one of the worst things about car accidents.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness! Well, I''m glad you''re okay! It''s amazing what kind of idiots are out there on the road. And what kind of idiot drives around like that with a CHILD in the car???

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s terrible and infuriating!!! I''m so glad you are okay though. ((HUGS))

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry to hear about your accident. You might want to start taking some anti-inflammatories now (e.g. advil), as soft tissue injuries aren''t alway immediately apparent. Your story reminded me of a couple that happened to me.

A while back we had just bought a brand new car. DW thought it was fun to tell DD, then 4, that it was her new car. In a way it was since we got an SUV to haul her and her gear around. Anyway, we were going through the Wendy''s drive-through and the car ahead of us was paying at the window. I noticed their brake lights were on and was wondering why. Next thing I know, BANG! she backed into us! In a drive-through!

DW and I looked at each other in shock, then DD bursts into tears and started wailing! We immediately thought she might be hurt, but then she started sobbing, "my car! my car!". Hilarious! The accident left a very tiny dent in the bumper that was barely noticeable, but we ended up collecting $2000 from their insurance to repair it. The Wendy''s guy saw the whole thing so I got his name and number as witness.

The other incident wasn''t as amusing. I was cruising down a 2-lane road at about 45-50mph. Waaay down the road I saw a car pull up from a sideroad and sit at the stop sign. He just sat there as I got closer and closer, so I thought he was waiting on me. Then just as I was about 15 feet away he suddenly pulled out in front of me! He was lucky I had just completed some advanced accident avoidance training as just about any other driver would have t-boned him and killed him for sure. As it was, I managed to do a barely controlled slide around his car in the other lane with just inches to spare. I just cannot imagine what people are thinking sometimes.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/25/2007 11:28:52 AM
Well, I filed a claim in my insurance and I think they're going to cover it. The office said that since she doesn't have insurance my insurance is going to end up suing her. I was just happy my baby (shih tzu dog) was not in the front seat with me at the time. I honestly think if my dog died, it would have been a lot uglier.
That's what insurance is for. I'd go after my insurance if they DIDN'T cover it. They have to cover your losses and then go after the guilty party (uninsured) by suing her.

I saw my PARKED CAR get hit by a man driving a van. He was LIVING IN IT. I called the police to get a report written up because he took off the WHOLE FRONT FENDER of my car with his van. Anyway, the police took all the info and I was like, 'You know this insurance card is fake right? He's LIVING in this van.' They were like, 'well, nothing we can do except write the info down.' So anyway, my insurance covered everything BUT...I didn't get my deductible back until they verified that he was homeless and not living at the address on the insurance card (duh, it wasn't even his insurance card!). That took a few months.

Glad you're okay!

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2007 11:40:01 AM
4.gif
Rofl...you go girl - use whatever you can ;} I too am very glad fabcrab that you are ok...but if you have too ;} use it tonight - put your feet up and baby them ankles and just mention how a diamond sure would make a girl feel better,,,and to think she saw some new ones as her life flashed before her today....
Don''t give up so easily - giggle ;}
So glad you are ok girl!
36.gif

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/25/2007 12:39:06 PM
Author: luckystar112
fab crab--I''m so sorry that happened to you!

Something similiar happened to me last night that left me shaking and crying my eyes out.

I was on my way to meet my FI somewhere, and was driving down a feeder road doing 50mph. (The standard speed limit.) I know a lot of states don''t have feeder roads--they are basically roads that run parallel to the freeways. I''ve said it a million times, but I don''t drive on the freeway at all.

Anyway, so I''m minding my own business when someone pulls out of a business parking lot located on the feeder and crosses 3 lanes before they finally cut me off. I''m going 50mph, they are going probably less than 20 because they didn''t have time to accelerate yet. So, basically I had to slam on my breaks which caused my car to skid multiple yards before it finally came to a stop INCHES away from their vehicle. I also couldn''t keep my car straight when t was happening, so I ended up diagonal in my lane with part of my car in the lane next to me. I truly believe I am so lucky. I know would have died. I still can''t believe my car stopped in time, because while it was happening I was sure I was either going to hit them, or someone else was going to hit me.

The driver was on his cell phone...of COURSE.
29.gif
I hate it because there is nothing you can do when you have a close call like that. I could have gotten seriously injured or died by this person''s carelessness, but since an accident didn''t actually occur, I can''t do anything but move on with my life. I hate that I am just expected to deal with it.

Needless to say, I was shaking pretty bad. I hate when that wave of fear takes over your body when your adrenaline is calming down. Know what I''m talking about?

I honestly thinks stuff like that happens to me more than the average person. I don''t know how I could be any more of a safe driver...I don''t speed, I''ve taken defensive driving...FOR FUN, I don''t talk on my cell phone, I follow the rules of the road! I usually stay in the right lane. The only reason I was in the left lane of the feeder last night was because I had a left turn coming up about a half a mile ahead, and I always make sure I''m in my correct lane ahead of time. Unlike other people who wait till the last second.

Earlier in the day, before the close-call, I was on my way to work (again, on the feeder). I was in the right lane, when the car in the lane next to me slowly starts to cross over the line into my lane. What the hell? I realize that I am driving partly on the shoulder while the car next to me is a full foot into my lane. Where do these people come from!! It''s like I''m a magnet for them or something.

I have the strongest feeling that I will die in a car accident.

I''m so sorry this happened to you! Oh my gosh! Please don''t think you''ll die in a car accident!
14.gif
Because you won''t.

I''m still pretty sore today. Dealing with the insurance companies on the phone today was just so emotionally draining. It''s like reliving the thing over and over and over again. Gosh! I just want this whole mess to end. I just need a vacation but too bad I can''t afford it.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry,, the most important is you...Hope your are doing ok..

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a nightmare, Fabcrab! I''m so thankful to hear you''re ok aside from some minor injuries (and I say "minor" loosely.) I don''t understand how people get away without having insurance, I just really don''t.
29.gif
And to be driving with a small child in a car and not take the 2 minutes to defrost your windshield for optimum visibility is just seriously irresponsible, that child could''ve been seriously hurt or killed and that is just a terrible crime in itself, not to mention the other lives that could''ve been taken. I know I''m being dramatic, but people just don''t realize that when they cut corners and think selfishly they are so much more prone to hurt or affect others lives. I''m sure this woman has some sad excuse or sob story, but too bad. The laws apply to everyone, including her.

Take good care of yourself, even if you don''t get showered with diamonds I hope your man is tender and loving with you during this time and helps you through everything. Feel free to vent away here on this thread, we are here for you!
35.gif

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Well I got an update from insurance and they said that my car is completely totalled. They''re waiting for the police report so they can start writing checks.

Oh ya, so I think I''m cursed or something. I was on the freeway this morning and there''s huge construction going on. I was doing the speed limit but I was driving in such a way that the semi truck next to me was a little bit ahead, as to not be completely adjacent in the scary construction area. Well guess what? The punk behind me decided to tail gate me and he blasted his horn like crazy for a couple of seconds to tell me to hurry up. I didn''t...because bullying tactics like that doesn''t work on me. But he decided to pass me and I had to slam on my breaks because he cut me off. To top it all off he flipped me off!!!!! I HATE JERKS!

I just started crying when I got to school since driving these past couple of days have been very stressful. I''m more paranoid than normal and my hands get awful sweaty. ARGH!!! Sorry just venting a little bit. Do you think I''ll ever be "normal" again driving or do you think I''ll just be super uneasy all the time?
32.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 9:44:15 PM
Well I got an update from insurance and they said that my car is completely totalled. They're waiting for the police report so they can start writing checks.

Oh ya, so I think I'm cursed or something. I was on the freeway this morning and there's huge construction going on. I was doing the speed limit but I was driving in such a way that the semi truck next to me was a little bit ahead, as to not be completely adjacent in the scary construction area. Well guess what? The punk behind me decided to tail gate me and he blasted his horn like crazy for a couple of seconds to tell me to hurry up. I didn't...because bullying tactics like that doesn't work on me. But he decided to pass me and I had to slam on my breaks because he cut me off. To top it all off he flipped me off!!!!! I HATE JERKS!

I just started crying when I got to school since driving these past couple of days have been very stressful. I'm more paranoid than normal and my hands get awful sweaty. ARGH!!! Sorry just venting a little bit. Do you think I'll ever be 'normal' again driving or do you think I'll just be super uneasy all the time?
32.gif
Vent away. Listen you've been through a lot. I am sorry the jerk cut you off today.
29.gif
Just keep driving safely, don't let jerks like him intimidate you. If need be take another less hectic route. Don't know if that's an option, just thinking out loud. Hang in there, in time you'll be back to normal and this will be a thing of the past.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you think I''ll ever be ''normal'' again driving or do you think I''ll just be super uneasy all the time?
32.gif
It will fade, You might consider taking a defensive driving class it might help increase your comfort level.

How it works in most states is the insurance company takes the person too court and gets a judgement then reports it too the state and the state suspends the persons licence until it is paid.
You might be called to testify.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Well I got an update from insurance and they said that my car is completely totalled. They''re waiting for the police report so they can start writing checks.

Oh ya, so I think I''m cursed or something. I was on the freeway this morning and there''s huge construction going on. I was doing the speed limit but I was driving in such a way that the semi truck next to me was a little bit ahead, as to not be completely adjacent in the scary construction area. Well guess what? The punk behind me decided to tail gate me and he blasted his horn like crazy for a couple of seconds to tell me to hurry up. I didn''t...because bullying tactics like that doesn''t work on me. But he decided to pass me and I had to slam on my breaks because he cut me off. To top it all off he flipped me off!!!!! I HATE JERKS!

I just started crying when I got to school since driving these past couple of days have been very stressful. I''m more paranoid than normal and my hands get awful sweaty. ARGH!!! Sorry just venting a little bit. Do you think I''ll ever be ''normal'' again driving or do you think I''ll just be super uneasy all the time?
32.gif
I totally know how you feel. I''m extremely paranoid when driving. I get bad panic attacks a lot. I had a bad one today...heart throbing, sweaty palms, just wanting to get to my damn location. I hate that feeling.
38.gif
Everytime I start to think that I''m overreacting, stuff like what I mentioned in my other post will happen to me. I honestly feel like I have to go out on the road with the mentality that everyone around me is drunk. I call it, "dodge the idiots" and think of it like a video game. They''re trying to kill me, and I have to just stay out of their way. I''m lucky I''ve been able to avoid accidents lately though...especially that last one I told you about. I don''t know how it would feel to actually get in one!
7.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2007 11:12:34 PM
Author: luckystar112

I just started crying when I got to school since driving these past couple of days have been very stressful. I''m more paranoid than normal and my hands get awful sweaty. ARGH!!! Sorry just venting a little bit. Do you think I''ll ever be ''normal'' again driving or do you think I''ll just be super uneasy all the time?
32.gif
I totally know how you feel. I''m extremely paranoid when driving. I get bad panic attacks a lot. I had a bad one today...heart throbing, sweaty palms, just wanting to get to my damn location. I hate that feeling.
38.gif
Everytime I start to think that I''m overreacting, stuff like what I mentioned in my other post will happen to me. I honestly feel like I have to go out on the road with the mentality that everyone around me is drunk. I call it, ''dodge the idiots'' and think of it like a video game. They''re trying to kill me, and I have to just stay out of their way. I''m lucky I''ve been able to avoid accidents lately though...especially that last one I told you about. I don''t know how it would feel to actually get in one!
7.gif
Fabcrab, I hate jerky drivers as much as the next person, and of course my first thought when I encounter driver behavior such as you described is to retaliate by not doing what they''re demanding...BUT, with all the crazies in the world I would rather just get the h. out of their way and let them by even if it means swallowing my pride a bit. I always figure "let THEM get a ticket, sooner or later it will happen because they''re driving like an idiot." Ya know? My stubborn pride isn''t worth some a-hole who is possibly intoxicated or on drugs running into me deliberately or shooting me due to road rage.

I don''t think you''ll ever be "normal" again while driving, but that can be a very good thing. If you look at it positively, think about what you''ve learned from the experience (drive more defensively, always be aware of and paying attention to what other drivers are doing as well as your own driving), that lesson will never leave your mind. What you''re feeling when you drive now is a loss of control, because you know that something bad can happen out of the blue that wasn''t caused by your actions, and it was an unpredictable thing. That is exactly why you have to be uber aware when driving and think ahead, plan your escape route, etc. There is never such a thing as too much caution on the road, a little paranoia imo keeps us safe. That''s what it means to drive defensively, always imagining worse case scenarios and having a plan a little ahead of time as far as what you''ll do to get out of having an accident whether it''s someone else or you who is at fault. The whole shock and freaked out feeling will definitely dull after time, trust me I''ve been in accidents before and speak from experience. But experiences like yours can be viewed as valuable lessons...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results