carat
color
clarity

I finally got my Birthday Gift but my real wish is

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello All,

This might be a little bit sentimental but I am going to talk about gemstones first. For the gem part, I had this piece Royal Blue Sapphire I bought earlier and I originally planned to gift it to my mom for her Birthday. I am the kind of girl who only likes vibrant colors like vivid pink, vivid green, Jedi pink, and all other kinds. For blue sapphires, I used to like the vivid Cornflower Blues only. I never had the taste for Royal Blues. To me, Royal Blues are intense, dark, and dull. I never saw one stunned me in real life. I know I lot of people on this Forum love Princess Diana and her engagement ring, so I am sorry if that makes you unhappy but this is my own opinion.
When I started to be interested in gemstones and jewelry, I looked at Diana's ring in pictures, and I was very disappointed. (If you have the one with better pictures to change my mind, please post it here. )

Last edited:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I never liked Dianas ring. I am a firm cornflower blue girl myself. There is something dreamy about it, whimsical. Dark colored gemstones are not my thing, and that's okay! Diana herself was an amazing gal. You're entitled to love what you love :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I agree that Diana’s stone is not my ideal - it looks almost black to me and I don’t care for that

I like vivid colors sparingly, especially blue, but I mostly love pastels, especially lavender, baby pink and icy pale blues - we are all different and I think that’s a good thing! Get what you like

The only deeper blues I like are “peacock” and to me are richer and more lively. I have obviously not seen this in real life, but I thought was marvelous…this Kashmir stone from Tiffany’s (so of course it’s going to be insanely beautiful )

Enhoerning sold it

407DA60D-7624-44D7-BE02-7A8DB3793935.jpeg

Last edited:

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I never liked Dianas ring. I am a firm cornflower blue girl myself. There is something dreamy about it, whimsical. Dark colored gemstones are not my thing, and that's okay! Diana herself was an amazing gal. You're entitled to love what you love :)

I like Diana a lot and she is an amazing person. At the same time, I feel she had a miserable marriage and her life experience with the Royal family is also extremely depressing. (This is also my personal opinion so I am sorry if I made anyone unhappy). I also do not understand why a lot of people trying to have a "Diana Style" engagement ring, or intentionally want a "Diana Ring". (I would prefer to call them "Diamond Halo Ring" rather than "Diana Ring"). To me, her engagement ring is the beginning of her tragic life.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I like Diana a lot and she is an amazing person. At the same time, I feel she had a miserable marriage and her life experience with the Royal family is also extremely depressing. (This is also my personal opinion so I am sorry if I made anyone unhappy). I also do not understand why people trying to have a "Diana Style" engagement ring. To me, her engagement ring is the beginning of her tragic life.

This is actually a really interesting point that never occurred to me

I appreciate this point of view a lot

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is actually a really interesting point that never occurred to me

I appreciate this point of view a lot

It is likely a lot of people still recognize Diana as the Princess having the dream wedding from the fairytale, and ignore her tragic life after the marriage? My feeling for the Royal Family change a lot after I watched her documentary.

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I went off the topic to Princess Diana so I want to share another interesting story. My MIL is a big fan of Diana, and she was planning to name her baby Diana when she was pregnant with my DH. After I knew about that, I gave my DH a blue sapphire men's ring as his birthday gift last year.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It is likely a lot of people still recognize Diana as the Princess having the dream wedding from the fairytale, and ignore her tragic life after the marriage? My feeling for the Royal Family change a lot after I watched her documentary.

I always saw Diana as a tragic figure
She was a hope for the future of the royal family - she was a lively, fresh presence - was hard not to fall in love with her!

she reminds me of Ophelia from Hamlet

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
…this Kashmir stone from Tiffany’s (so of course it’s going to be insanely beautiful )

Enhoerning sold it
That shows off the thing I am liking about darker sapphires lately, how they can really electrify in the right lighting.

Off topic, but is there a word for what the metal work around the sapphire in that setting is? It looks like many tiny prongs or almost a mini-scalloped bezel.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That shows off the thing I am liking about darker sapphires lately, how they can really electrify in the right lighting.

Off topic, but is there a word for what the metal work around the sapphire in that setting is? It looks like many tiny prongs or almost a mini-scalloped bezel.

I am not sure what those prongs are called - they are surely prongs

here is the original listing in case you’re curious

dmack

Shiny_Rock
I’m never unhappy when I hear others’ opinions and preferences! Thank god we don’t all like the same things. If we did, this site would be so uninteresting. And the Preloved thread would be a bloodbath as we all fought over the same things. So with that I will raise my hand and say, 1. I prefer darker sapphires! 2. The Tiffany’s ring is gorgeous. It looks like there’s a v-shaped shared prong that is giving it the scalloped look. Me like-y.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Way before the current Disney Princess pink thing became the thing i was 11 when shy Di broke on the evening news
when Charles and Di came to NZ mum took us out of school to stand behind a baracade on the walk about route and we were rewarded
i gave a flower to Di and she talked to me - she had the most beautiful skin
So 11 year old me is profoundly sad she wont be the next Queen and thr fairy tale marrage ended in a nightmare but life doesn't always turn out the way we thought it would

im not and never have been a halo girl

anyway i would say all the saphires i have ever seen in person are too dark
especially the piddly little over priced ones i personally own

i would love a cornflower one
actually anything even remotely blue that isnt that dark twilight colour i suspect mine are

however i love that Kate got Di's ring
To be it was initually a bit odd (with that marriage ending in divorce) but after Prince William explained wanting to include his mum in on their special day and all the excitement of the wedding i understod

now lets see some excitting dark blue saphires !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went off the topic to Princess Diana so I want to share another interesting story. My MIL is a big fan of Diana, and she was planning to name her baby Diana when she was pregnant with my DH. After I knew about that, I gave my DH a blue sapphire men's ring as his birthday gift last year.

this is so cool !

can you sneak a pix of the ring to show us.i love men's jewlery

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I loved Princess Diana's ring. My grandparents and my siblings and I all got together to buy my mother her own Diana ring when they started offering knock offs, lol. I just looked up a photo of it to remind myself what it looked like. I agree it is very dark but the contrast against those whitest of diamonds is stunning. It was also the 80's and lots of mistakes were being made fashion wise. Puffy sleeve the size of a ham, for example.

She did have a tragic marriage and a tragic death but she did so many wonderful things with her life and her position of power. In spite of her vulnerability and the pain she seemed to carry so visibly, she touched so many in the world with her demeanor of kindness and her devotion to her kids. She also quietly spoke truth to power and expressed her independence and personality in the context of an oppressive environment which was inspiring to me in my 20's.

I found a little history regarding the controversy over her ring.

"Even with origins based in royal history, the gem that set Charles back $37,000 has a contentious background. Despite the fact that Queen Elizabeth II's daughter, Princess Anne, was given a sapphire ring from Captain Mark Phillips, some within the Palace took issue with Diana's choice at the time, Vogue reports.

Diana Argentina

The fact that the center stone wasn't a diamond wasn't the problem, though. Rather, some were displeased that the ring was featured in a Garrard catalog, which meant it wasn't rare. According to Express, most royals have their wedding rings custom made so that they are extra special. It was unheard of for a future royal (especially one tying the knot to the future king) to flaunt a wedding jewel that was "accessible" to the general public.
Some believe Diana chose the sapphire because it reminded her of her own mother's wedding ring, while others thought it was because it had the biggest stone. Whatever the reason, Diana loved it, which is really all that matters." From a Good Housekeeping Article.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense to the late Princess Diana, but I think I can assume her ring is not a fan favorite here. She was a much more spectacular “gem” than her sapphire anyways!!

roxta

Shiny_Rock
I agree that Diana’s stone is not my ideal - it looks almost black to me and I don’t care for that

I like vivid colors sparingly, especially blue, but I mostly love pastels, especially lavender, baby pink and icy pale blues - we are all different and I think that’s a good thing! Get what you like

High Five! Pastel lover here too.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I believe it’s safe to express which camp you are in here right?:lol-2:

Team bright vibrant stones^^I also find it hard to appreciate royal, dark, or midnight blue sapphires. Gem lovers with other views may see it as royal feeling that is totally understood though.

Interestingly, I have another dislike which could also save me money, pigeon blood ruby. Although it’s said to be with a glow, it still looks to me dark and just not lively and interesting enough. Especially when I learn how vibrant red spinel can be. I am attracted to vivid hot pink on the other hand.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too NEVER liked that ring, the stone being way too dark and too many claws in the setting.

Much prefer more vivid and lighter blues, and no claws or prongs.

Each to their own etc., etc...

DK :))

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like vivid saturated colors as well. Usually I go for the blues, greens and purples, but I can also enjoy a good true red or deep pink, as well :) For "neutral" colors I like moonstones, silver and grey spinels.

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
this is so cool !

can you sneak a pix of the ring to show us.i love men's jewlery

This is video of the blue sapphire ring to my DH.
I designed it from scratch. The center stone is a 3ct unheated deep blue sapphire from Nigeria. My cutting master had it cut radiant cut. It is oceanic deep blue but still shows nice blue under the sun. I had the sapphire haloed by diamond too to make the contrast. It is a cool ring and my DH says he feels fancy when wearing it.

Last edited:

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Finally, here it is. Almost 3cts with only 2ct sized table. The table is a little bit small but the fire and color are excellent. This blue is very vivid and saturated, without being grey or purplish. My favorite thing about it is the sapphire is full of fire on the face.
I had it set with 2mm diamond tiny beads around them. The basket is also my favorite kind. Overall I am very happy with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results