shape
carat
color
clarity

I finally got a Jewel Jet!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
OK, so it's not a coloured stone, but it is red and I love it! I've wanting one for over a year and I found this one on eBay for a steal!

Yesterday I spent a very happy hour steam cleaning my favorite CS pieces (and my studs!).
What a difference!

Maybe now I will stop pestering my jeweler for free ring cleanings all the time!

I can't recommend it enough!

_17465.jpg

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I got mine a few weeks ago. :) Which colored stones have you tried it on? I've only cleaned diamonds so far.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only use it on diamonds (white and coloured). I'm not even daring enough to use it for sapphires. I'd bet Periwinkle's FCDs look awesome after a good cleaning with the JJ though. :))

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a pic of my asscher sapphire, freshly cleaned.

I also used it on my ruby, my pink sapphire ring and earrings, and my blue fcd ring! They look so much better now.
I asked my jeweller's advice before using it. Diamonds and corundum are fine, she recommended being careful with the angles (like not blasting right at the table) and using short bursts.
I would think you'd want to be very careful using it on anything with a flaw (I will ask her about this since I have a chipped diamond).

ETA: I will definitely not be using it on emeralds or tanzanites!
I will ask about my blue topazes though.

_17468.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1398707201|3661958 said:
I would only use it on diamonds (white and coloured). I'm not even daring enough to use it for sapphires. I'd bet Periwinkle's FCDs look awesome after a good cleaning with the JJ though. :))

Thanks Chrono! :)

I would use it on the red diamond ring, but I just got it cleaned, so it's fine. I don't wear it everyday they way I do my sapphire.

Totally loving my new toy!

I also finally bought some nice square white gem jars, so I can get the loose stones in some decent order!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
periwinklegirl|1398707473|3661962 said:

I also used it on my ruby, my pink sapphire ring and earrings, and my blue fcd ring! They look so much better now.
I asked my jeweller's advice before using it. Diamonds and corundum are fine, she recommended being careful with the angles (like not blasting right at the table) and using short bursts.
I would think you'd want to be very careful using it on anything with a flaw (I will ask her about this since I have a chipped diamond).

Lovely sapphire. :) Yeah, ask about the flaws, and ask about chrysoberyl and spinel if you would. Also, anyone know if there's a problem with using distilled water? Our water is pretty hard, & I don't want water spots.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quick drying session with compressed air does the trick for me every time.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1398709610|3662015 said:
A quick drying session with compressed air does the trick for me every time.

Yeah, I stopped buying canned air and got a metro vac blower. Works great. I guess I could steam everything and set them in distilled water while I dry them off with the blower one at at time.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Demon|1398708958|3661999 said:
periwinklegirl|1398707473|3661962 said:

Lovely sapphire. :) Yeah, ask about the flaws, and ask about chrysoberyl and spinel if you would. Also, anyone know if there's a problem with using distilled water? Our water is pretty hard, & I don't want water spots.

If you have hard water, then distilled water would be better. There should be no problem using it in the Jewel Jet.
I haven't had any water spots, but we have soft water here. I don't need to do anything after steaming (except wait for the ring to cool).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distilled water is better for two reasons.
1. No water spots left on your jewelry.
2. The steam unit will last longer since no mineral deposits will build up and eventually clog the hole where the steam comes out.

Everyone's water has some minerals in it.
The harder your water the sooner your steamer will clog up, just like a steam iron.
Even if you don't have very hard water I'd still use distilled in the steam unit to extend its life.

I don't buy distilled water any more because I use water from our kitchen sink's reverse osmosis filter.
It is nearly distilled but only a tiny tiny fraction of the price.
Sure, the unit cost around $250 but you break even pretty fast if you were paying for bottled drinking or distilled water before.
Plus you aren't contributing to earth's plastic problem.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one to add to our ever growing collection of "Signs of Addiction:" You know you are a gemaholic when you are as excited about the equipment necessary to clean them as you are about the actual stones themselves!" :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1398788340|3662764 said:
Another one to add to our ever growing collection of "Signs of Addiction:" You know you are a gemaholic when you are as excited about the equipment necessary to clean them as you are about the actual stones themselves!" :bigsmile:

… and you even obsess on the stupid water that goes into it. :oops:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And - you read other people's stories of cleaning diamonds and what water they use!!!!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock

AND I was just as excited about a little handheld basket gadget to use for unset stones. :shock:

Thanks Chrono, Kenny & Periwinklegirl!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Wait, how can steam cleaning damage a sapphire?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1398790262|3662789 said:

… and you even obsess on the stupid water that goes into it. :oops:

LOL, and I thought I was the only one that obsessed about clean gemstones.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use my Shark steam mop since it has a removable steam thingy with attachments. I put the one attachment on it that semi-concentrates the steam blast and just sit at the table or counter cleaning it all about once a week or so. I have also read of others who use the steam stem on their home espresso machines to clean their jewelry.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1398819455|3663192 said:
I use my Shark steam mop since it has a removable steam thingy with attachments. I put the one attachment on it that semi-concentrates the steam blast and just sit at the table or counter cleaning it all about once a week or so. I have also read of others who use the steam stem on their home espresso machines to clean their jewelry.

Brilliant! Now I'm off to mop the floor - or clean my jewelry, depending upon how you look at it :bigsmile:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1398820174|3663207 said:

Brilliant! Now I'm off to mop the floor - or clean my jewelry, depending upon how you look at it :bigsmile:

Both - multi-tasking! Of course it doesn't go over well when the s/o inquires why the floors are dirty but my jewelry is sparkling clean. LOL

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I would be one of those espresso machine steam stem cleaners!! It works great!! :bigsmile:

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Demon,
I remembered to ask about the spinels and she said they were fine. Forgot to ask about the flawed diamond, but I will (it's waiting to be reset anyway).

Psproot12,
I'm sorry, she did explain why not to point the blast directly at the stone, but I'm not sure I remember exactly why. I think it has to do with heat (or different temperatures) creating stress on the stone.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Yes, sadly, I know I'm addicted. I'm hoping that playing with the CS I have will stop me from buying more (for the moment).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those using their espresso machine steamer, make sure it is absolutely clean or else you will get crud onto your gem instead of getting it clean.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398859852|3663468 said:
For those using their espresso machine steamer, make sure it is absolutely clean or else you will get crud onto your gem instead of getting it clean.

I have wondered the same, so am interested in your perspective! It has 2 different boilers, one for steam the other coffee. When I've done the pre & post louping inspection, the difference is quite stunning in cleanliness, I don't see any residue. When you are thinking 'crud' what were you thinking? In this machine, the water comes straight from the water reservoir, to the boiler, then pumped out of the steam nozzle. I sure don't want crud on the jewels!! :twirl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calcium deposit or hard water crud. I think you'll be fine with distilled water.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
periwinklegirl|1398826326|3663313 said:

Hi Demon,
I remembered to ask about the spinels and she said they were fine. Forgot to ask about the flawed diamond, but I will (it's waiting to be reset anyway).

Psproot12,
I'm sorry, she did explain why not to point the blast directly at the stone, but I'm not sure I remember exactly why. I think it has to do with heat (or different temperatures) creating stress on the stone.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Yes, sadly, I know I'm addicted. I'm hoping that playing with the CS I have will stop me from buying more (for the moment).

Thanks, I thought spinels would be ok, but nice to have confirmation. Let me know about the flawed diamond if you remember to ask.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be careful steam cleaning colored stones. Generally not a good idea. I sold a really pretty flawless apatite to a jeweler one time. She set the stone, the promptly steam cleaned it. When she was done with the steam cleaning, there was no stone to be found, just a bunch of pieces. Many colored stones should be kept away from the steamer. Steam cleaning is a sudden blast and quick temperature change, which can cause cracks.

Also distilled water is not recommended for making espresso.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1398887610|3663756 said:

You are right on about that--distilled water & espresso machines do not mix! Besides, it would taste awful! :errrr:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice link Chrono, but my lord they have expensive beans! I just got in some Miscela d'Oro Gran Crema beans that are just fantastic. My new favorite. About $30 for 2.2 lbs.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1398887610|3663756 said:

Am I correct in assuming this is only because of taste, not any risk of damaging the machine?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results