shape
carat
color
clarity

I feel like I''m at a used car lot

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stupid-diamonds

Rough_Rock
I need some help! I am buying an engagement ring and have been searching the local establishments (privately owned and shane co/jared etc).

How important is a warranty? The privately owned place has a one yr warranty, but shane co and jared have a lifetime warranty.

Is an EGL cert. just as a good as a GIA? The ring i''m looking at for the private company is EGL cert.

The ring i am thinking about buying is 1.09 ct princess cut VS2/H i think the table/depth % are 78% and 72% they are asking $4500. Decent price? Too expensive? They also were showing me a 1.21 ct, VS1/J not sure on the cut demensions and they were asking $4000.

Shane co has a 1.06 ct I, I1 for $3,390 not sure what the cut is

Jared had a 1.01 ct I, SI1 for $2,900 not sure what the cut is

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
That's how I feel every time I walk into a jewelry store. It's just like a used car lot. Luckily for me, I know my jeweler and I only go into the stores to get ideas. I would be so confused if I wasn't working with someone I trusted. If you're in the LA area, let me know, and I'll give you his information.

jgh12

Rough_Rock
Haha! Yes, I know exactly how you mean about it feeling like a used car dealer. All the local people who I worked with were not helpful at all. In fact, I sometimes knew more than they did about diamonds! The best thing you can do is read up about everything first so you''ll know what you want. The search funciton in Pricescope is a great resource.

Regarding your question about EGL, they tend to be softer on their grading than GIA or AGS which are the two preferred certs to get. However, having a cert is not enough to tell you about the quality of the stone. Most people here stress cut as the number one factor and I''ve come to agree with them. An awesome tool you can use to see the performance of the cut can be found here:

https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

However, you''ll need an AGS cert or a sarin report because pav and crown measurements such as angles or % are needed for the calculation. Keep in mind that HCA is just a tool that will help you eliminate poor performing stones. Nothing beats looking at it in person. Ironically, I didn''t look at my stone in person. Instead, I bought it from an online vendor who supplied Ideal Scope images, hearts and arrows images, etc that met the approval of the Pricescope community. Trusting people you don''t know and can''t see is hard, but I find the feedback on this forum to be very helpful.

Good luck!
Jason

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I don''t feel you will get a quality stone at jared or shane, and if you do, you''ll pay about 3x its actual "worth".

I am wary of the word "warranty" regarding jewelry, Somehow it seems shady to me. If a jeweler is worth his weight he will honor his work and product without needing some fancy explanation. Should just be automatic. Unfortunately not all jewelers are on the up and up, though most are. Some are really bad...

Have you checked out any of the Pricescope Vendors? I know Goodoldgold.com and Whiteflash.com have great stones.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
You need to be prepared for the possibility that EGL grades would be a full mark lower if graded by GIA or AGS.... i.e. that Shane and Co ring (there''s another subject entirely....if you do a search for them here, you''ll see what i mean) that is an EGL I, I1 could be more like a GIA J, I2. NOT worth the cashola, IMO. DO a PS CUT QUALITY search within your other 3 C''s parametes and see what kind of prices you get....I bet you''ll be surprised!

DoubleB

Rough_Rock
Dear Stupid (surely you can come up with a better handle than that! LOL)

Re: EGL DO NOT ACCEPT AN EGL CERT.

SEE MY TALE OF WOE POSTED AS "HERE''S MY STORY, SAID BUT TRUE".

Only the unitiated (and that no longer includes you, now that you''re on pricescope) believe EGL certs.

I know . . I was on of them and am now struggling to get my money back.

Double b

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I would not worry about a warranty. If something is wrong, they should fix it.

Instead, you should get whatever you end up with - insured, with your own insurance. A warranty usually will only cover workmanship - and probably not damage so much.. When you do get it insured via your homeowners - renters or a stand alone policy - you should receive coverage for any damage or issue.

So don't rely on just the company's warranty - and certainly don't buy a warranty - just get insurance.

That being said - you may want to click on "prices" at the top of this screen and check for princess cuts in the size, color and clarity ranges you are looking for. If you are interested in finding out more about what you should be looking for in a princess cut - certainly search these forums - there is a lot of information.

You'll find that here -people will try to guide you to get the best quality stone that you can afford. If not, they will guide you so that you don't pay too much for what you are getting. In practice - it's been found that the larger chain stores charge "more" than smaller family run buisness. And an internet vendor can price a little less than those family run business. So if $$$ is a factor - you might want to consider an internet purchase from a reputable vendor. There are lots that we can reccomend.

Good Luck

jmbristow

Rough_Rock
Also remember that when you buy from an internet vendor that is out of state, you get the purchase tax free. I was able to add an additional $800 to my purchase over what I would have paid in-state (Actually, I had it shipped to my parents out of state, and then had them ship it to me
9.gif
)

BlingBlingMommy

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I''ve been lurking for months and this post prompted me to finally register and post.
35.gif

Diamonds Direct is the best I''ve found in the Twin Cities. They don''t advertise - they get business insurance companies replacing jewelry (because of first class quality, customer service and low prices) and word of mouth. They don''t have a huge inventory, but can get absolutely anything you want. I''ve bought two rings from them and had one custom ring made. They''re located at 5037 France Avenue South (basically 50th and France) in Edina. The lady I work with is Dana - 612.929.0054.

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
A warranty is not nearly as important as a good insurance policy, unless you can afford to take the hit of a lost/damaged stone. With most jewelry store warranties, there are strange requirements such as getting it checked every six months and all repairs being done through that company. Even then, from what I''ve read on here, there are even more problems claiming on those.

If you search about insurance on here, you''ll find a ton of help to make your decision.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
You''ve gotten some good advice. Mine: DON"T buy and I1 or I2 clarity diamond for such an important piece of jewelry.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Warranties offered by jewelry stores are a sales tactic, nothing more (and they make used car sales tactics look good). They have about as much value as the lifetime warranties on alunimum siding and the original vinyl sidiing (no one ever collected). If there is a problem in the short term they might get taken care of (and even that is questionable). Long term forget it unless you are a really good and really steady customer. They are filled with lots of interesting exclsuions and requirments.

There is another problem with the "lifetime" warranty. In many states it is legally not defined. Don''t be too surprised to find out that the lifetime under discussion was for the diamond or ring (etc). and that it''s life ended when it broke, was lost, etc.

Skip the sales pitch (and those who offer them), get a decent ring from a decent vendor, and buy insurance.

Perry

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2005 4:11:26 PM
Author: DoubleB
Re: EGL DO NOT ACCEPT AN EGL CERT.
SEE MY TALE OF WOE POSTED AS 'HERE'S MY STORY, SAID BUT TRUE'.
Only the unitiated (and that no longer includes you, now that you're on pricescope) believe EGL certs.
Well, I personally think that this is overstating the case. True, there are some instances where EGL cert grades in color have been off a grade, but they are hardly to be tossed out as completely bogus. You can find a good deal on a stone with an EGL cert (because they are priced slightly less) so personally, I wouldn't eliminate them entirely, but I would know that the potential caveat may be there. ETA: EGL-USA...okay...beware of EGL-Israel or others. Here is DoubleB's thread he mentioned.

Secondly, I agree with perry and would write the same thing regarding a "warranty"....don't count on it. I've NEVER seen someone with a diamond "warranty" actually reap the benefits of this when a diamond was chipped, or whatever, but with actual INSURANCE...that's another story...many claims successfully negotiated. Don't be swayed by any warranties...get your own insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results