shape
carat
color
clarity

I don''t think I can buy online....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I have been doing a lot of research and learning a lot from this wonderful site! When I first came here I was very skeptical about purchasing a diamond over the net. I''ve gotten more used to the idea and would seriously consider it when I am ready to buy, but I don''t know if I can!
39.gif
Here''s why:

1. I live in Maine, so none of the vendors are close to me...the closest I know of is NYC and that''s a good 6 hours away. So that means I can''t go see and compare stones in person.

2. I''m interested in fancy shapes such as Jubilee, Radiant, Regent and Queen of Hearts the most...at least from the pictures as I''ve never see any of those in person except for the radiant...and it was a poor one. I wish there was a way to see them! There is no way for me to see these stone in person as no one around here carries any "different stones"...just RB, Princess, Marquise, Oval, Emerald, etc. The only one I like out of that bunch is RB.

3. The closest independent appraiser on Pricescope is MA...again hours away from me.

4. And to top it off, my favorite setting (so far) is in NYC.

I hate Maine sometimes...there is just nothing here.
29.gif
I am getting discouraged and am wondering if anyone else here has run into these problems? If you have, tell me what my options are please!!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Why hate maine? Just LOVE the internet. If it wasn''t here - you wouldn''t have seen all the great stones you have (jubilee, regents, etc)

There are ways to do what you want. You can get the stone sent to you or an apprasier and *then* choose to buy it. It may cost you extra money to do these things- but they absolutely can be done.

If you are completely torn over size shape and type of stone - then I do reccomend a road trip to boston. Go to any store - look at the stones in person and get an idea of what you want. Maybe even a Bailey Banks and Biddle may be closer to you.

You also never know what your local jewelery store can do (or one that may only be 1 hour away) Don''t count them completely out, yet.

After you narrow down your choice of stone shape, size -- then you can work with internet vendors and local ones (if you want) to get the best "deal" on the stone.

Once you know exactly what you want - it''s much easier to make that purchase. Lastly - you can always buy with a "window" so that if you don''t like it you can send it back. Take advantage of that policy if you need to.

Good Luck

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this idea will help you, and even more, not sure if you can get an appraiser to do it...but if you ask one to act as your buyer''s agent, as Storm suggests is a better term in this attached thread, and you may have a strategy of some sort.

Better than going to the local five & dime. Let''s face it...the vendors here do offer the best value. Just have to figure out a way to make it work, seems to me.

with best wishes...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am crazy about online shopping (includes shoes!) but... sure I understand that some of the sortin-throug-diamonds magic
30.gif
is gone this way.

6 hours drive makes a short flight and GOG works by appointment too !

This, until the first virtual jewelry try-on service is up and running.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Just one more angle...per this thread...and particularly Paul Sleger''s comments, consider the nature of the luxurious experience of shopping from home.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
6 hours drive makes a short flight and GOG works by appointment too !
Honestly, if I lived six hours away from GOG, I''d call in advance and make an appointment to see specific stones that fit a certain criteria. I can''t imagine NOT going to them when they have excellent stones for much more affordable prices that many b&ms!

FWIW, the two closest vendors to me are in different states and I''d drive to one of these vendors if they a stone that looked great and was in my budget
2.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I bought on line from Whiteflash and it was a wonderful experience. There are several other very reputable vendors, GOG, Engagement Rings Direct, Dirtcheap diamonds, etc.
My suggestion is to get a good idea of what you are looking for in the way of shape,color,cut,clarity,size and price. GOG has an excellent site with all different shapes. If in doubt, you cannot go wrong with a round stone and there are many more stones to choose from and very specific parameters as to good cut.

If you have not done so, take the tutorial under Knowledge at the top of the page. Then call one of the vendors, Lesley at Whiteflash, Jonathan at GOG, Mark at Engagement Rings Direct, and discuss with them what you are looking for and ask them to find the best stone at the price.

I had my stone sent to an appraiser where I could see it. However,if you have the vendor call it in to inspect it and then have them send it to one of the very highly regarded appraisers here--David Atlas, Richard Sherwood, Martin Haske or others recommended here, they can tell you what they thnk of the stone.I am sure they will all give you an unbiased opinion.

Also ask for a Sarin or OGI report,idealscope image, photos and a plot of inclusions.

I did not have to pay Whiteflash until my stone was appraised, set, appraised again by their appraiser and ready to be sent out. I only had to pay my appraiser and a small shippng fee.I received it the day after I paid for it.

Most of these vendors have a generous time frame for return if you are dissatisfied but,for the most part, I think they give you an honest assessment over the phone because it is not to their advantage to ship out a stone that is a sure reject.

You can also look on the inividual sites of some of these vendors for stones that might be in their private inventory and not listed on the multiple listing. I am sure if you post a description of what you are looking for, there are people here who will help you find a stone. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results