shape
carat
color
clarity

I color princess 1.5ct and bigger-opinions.. Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
Ok this is my last shot at asking for opinions. I am returning my fiances ring this friday and getting a replacement. For those of you who didnt read my previous post.
I purchased a 1.5 ct. princess I color from a family friend who is a dealer. When I had it appraised I was told it was really K color. Unset the stone looked colorless to me so I went with it. Plus the appraiser said I got a great deal even with the K color. The cert was EGL isreal and my friend did tell me that they are off when it comes to color. Since then the color has become noticable especially when we went to look at diamond bands. I am making the trip from Boston to NY to exchange it.

So my question is does anyone think that a properly graded(I am going GIA this time) I color in a princess that size will show any hint of color? I dont want it to look yellow at all. Should I just stick with H and not bother with an I color. Several of you have stated that a princess will show its color while others say an I would be just fine.

I would appreciate any last minute opinions!!

Have a great Holiday all!!!!!
20.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
everyone perceives color differently. i can see color at ''h'' in rounds and wouldn''t bother with anything below ''g''..especially in a fancy shape. however, that is my only personal preference and what works for you may be totally different. you need to see the diamonds and decide for yourself. best of luck!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see hints of beige/light yellow in my "I" EC at certain angles in certain lighting.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I personally love the color of both "H" and "I". I can see the difference when it''s put next to D,E,F but actually prefer one with a little bit of "warmth" (to use the common term).
Bottom line: It is all up to you. If the color of the "K" of your last stone bothered you then you might want to go as colorless as you can aford.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Another thought...
If you are doing a setting with relatively large side stones (like a three stone) that are of a higher/better color grade than your center stone, you are far more likely to notice and be bothered by the color.
In something like a solitaire it will not matter as much.
just my .02

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2005 1:06:15 AM
Author: Gonzodogg

Bottom line: It is all up to you. If the color of the ''K'' of your last stone bothered you then you might want to go as colorless as you can afford.

... and keep in mind that between I and K is a mile. The grades become less different as you get higher. So between I and H, would not be quite as much difference. Between D and F there is even less despite the fact that this distance is accounted as two grades not one.

The best thing to do IMO, is to look over a few stones. If this one looked colorless until you compared it with some less tinted stones in a band, do the same. There should be some small colorless stones in the shop.

It may be worth keeping in mind that small diamonds would always look brighter than the large ones (considering all are of the same shape) because the smaller facets have a different, brighter look overall. Also, color is more apparent in larger stones - chances are an eternity band with K color diamonds would have also appeared whiter than the 1.5 cts K etc.

All in all there''s too much ''theory'', and allot of talk still doesn''t add up to as much as seeing the stones in flesh.
2.gif

My 2c

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
So I went to back to my friend to exchange my Fiance''s diamond. Unfortunately he was low on stock given the Xmas rush so he only had a few stones for me to see. He urged me to wait till more came in so I could get what I want.
Anyway I did see a gia I color stone the same size as her current ring. You cannot even compare the color to my fiance''s current ring which is rated an ''I'' by EGL but really a ''K''. It shocks me how EGL(ISREAL) gets away with misgrading these diamonds by so much. The "I" looked white, while the EGL stone is clearly tinted. I am actually trying to get an H SI1 so hopefully he will get one in that''s cut well.

One more note. My fiances current ring has a 64% depth and a 79% table. Despite what many people say about having a lower table it is true you cannot go by the #s alone. The cut on this diamond is unreal and out sparkles even some rounds(my sister has one). Too bad the color is not accurate. Maybe I just havent seen a truely ideal cut princess but Her stone sparkles enough. Everyone comments on the bling factor of her stone. So look at these stones even if the #''s don''t seem perfect!!

TexasLawyer

Rough_Rock
I purchased an H-color EGL stone and it is colorless to me. I cannot see any yellowish tint at all. But the only way to be 100% certain is to buy a stone that is D, E, or F, or to see the stone in person and compare it to stones with a higher color grade.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2005 12:58:28 PM
Author: ssteigs

Maybe I just haven''t seen a truely ideal cut princess but ...
Table and depth definitely do not tell the story. I wish there was some way to look into the stone you describe!
38.gif

On the other hand, it can''t hurt to see what AGS''s cut grades are all about. Chances are you''re going to hate those, because the look is quite different. Or maybe not. I don''t think there is a ''true ideal'' that everyone would prefer, but such an opinion backed by experience sounds like worth looking into.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 12:58:28 PM
Author: ssteigs
So I went to back to my friend to exchange my Fiance''s diamond. Unfortunately he was low on stock given the Xmas rush so he only had a few stones for me to see. He urged me to wait till more came in so I could get what I want.

Anyway I did see a gia I color stone the same size as her current ring. You cannot even compare the color to my fiance''s current ring which is rated an ''I'' by EGL but really a ''K''. It shocks me how EGL(ISREAL) gets away with misgrading these diamonds by so much. The ''I'' looked white, while the EGL stone is clearly tinted. I am actually trying to get an H SI1 so hopefully he will get one in that''s cut well.

One more note. My fiances current ring has a 64% depth and a 79% table. Despite what many people say about having a lower table it is true you cannot go by the #s alone. The cut on this diamond is unreal and out sparkles even some rounds(my sister has one). Too bad the color is not accurate. Maybe I just havent seen a truely ideal cut princess but Her stone sparkles enough. Everyone comments on the bling factor of her stone. So look at these stones even if the #''s don''t seem perfect!!

A 64% depth AND a 79% table? Yikes! That must be a whole different beast! If you like that look you will save TONS of money. I would LOVE to see an ideal scope image of that stone! Sometimes you have to remember that the stones you''re comparing your stone to may be dirty or a poor cut themselves. I''ve looked at more princess cut stones than I care to admit and have yet to find one even close to your numbers that is truly spectacular. But, I tend to prefer a deeper stone
1.gif

As for the color, there are so many variations even within the same color grade that it''s hard to say whether you''ll notice the color or not. Some I colored stones are HORRID. Others are really white. My 3.22ct princess is an I and faces up EXTREMELY white. I know this is really true after this weekend when I saw an I colored princess (2cts, GIA graded) in a store that, while decently cut (looked good in the ideal scope and had a 70% depth and 67% table), was MUCH warmer than my stone. Just something to keep in mind
1.gif

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
The crown height on my stone is 9% so that may help it a bit. It seems like a lot of the stones online have big tables. A good majority of the stones Whiteflash has online have big tables. Given there rep. on these boards I would trust that they are not selling princess that are dog''s. But I do realize that everything has a price and a personal preference. Also My fiance''s stone faces up like a 1.75 qt. given the low depth. We love the stone other than the color.

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
Just thought I would give an update. After waiting over 3 months I have finally found a replacement for my fiance''s diamond. I wound up getting the following. Unfortunately I dont have any pictures yet. It is being set this week And Ill have it Thursday.
Compared to the EGL I color she had its night and day!. Just wanted to say thanks for the input!

1.50 Princess GIA
H Color
SI1
6.60 * 6.30 * 4.49
Depth: 70
Table: 68
Poilsh: Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: Med to thk
Flourescence: None

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Just so you know, you usually want a crown of at least 10%. Your stone does not have a bad crown, but you will probably not have the same fire as other stones. There may also be more light leakage than others considering the table/depth/crown combination.

But, if you''re happy with it that''s all that matters
1.gif
Congrats on finding the right stone for you!

ssteigs

Rough_Rock
Researcher. Are you commenting on the new stone or the old? I did not provide crown info on the new stone. Is there a way you are figuring this measurement out?? And the depth table combination should be ok.Just curious.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Sorry about that! I was commenting on the old one I guess. I just happened to see the crown, and with the table/depth felt it should be higher. There is not a way to calculate the crown from the basics you''ve provided. Can you get a Sarin report? Also, I would get an ideal scope image of the stone to check light leakage.

Glad to hear the stone you chose was not the one with the low crown!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results