shape
carat
color
clarity

I Color Diamonds Set in Yellow Gold

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
Good morning everyone! After obsessing over ideal cut quality, with excellent help from some of our members I landed on the following diamond from BGD:

My GF wants a simple six prong yellow gold setting, with yellow prongs as well.

I chose the following in yellow gold:

My question is, will this ideal cut I absorb too much yellow from the gold setting?

I have read conflicting information. Some sources say diamond colors of this range will look good and appear whiter against yellow gold setting, while others state sticking to white or platinum prong will enhance the white appearance of an I diamond. Which is true?

I’ve found it surprisingly difficult to find good pictures of I color set in yellow gold prongs. Do any of the members have something similar?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love yellow gold but always have prongs made in platinum. The contrast between a white diamond set in white prongs and the yellow gold shank is beautiful! I have never seen an I color in yellow gold in person either so I can’t speak to that. My ACA diamond is a G color but I think an I color diamond would be just as lovely in white prongs with a yellow gold shank.

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpeg
    IMG_0838.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0716.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0878.jpeg
    IMG_0878.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I love yellow gold but always have prongs made in platinum. The contrast between a white diamond set in white prongs and the yellow gold shank is beautiful!

I echo this - granted, I’ve never seen a super ideal cut I in yellow gold, but any I coloured stones I’ve seen in YG look yellower than WG. Setting it with WG prongs/head on a YG shank gives you the best of both worlds - a source of WG next to the stone so that no yellow is inadvertently reflected inside, and a YG shank for maximum visual contrast.

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if is possible to plate the inside of the prongs facing the diamond in white gold while preserving the exterior of the prong in yellow gold?

My GF wants all yellow, but I obviously want to make sure that diamond looks as beautiful as possible!

If it is possible is this advisable? And will it make a difference?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know if is possible to plate the inside of the prongs facing the diamond in white gold while preserving the exterior of the prong in yellow gold?

My GF wants all yellow, but I obviously want to make sure that diamond looks as beautiful as possible!

It probably is doable to dip the inside with rhodium but it will wear off over time. The only way to replace would be to remove the diamond again. Too much hassle for not enough gain in my opinion. Has she seen pictures with both yellow gold and white gold prongs? If she truly wants yellow prongs, go for it. It will be beautiful either way.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Okay as ideas go, this is a pretty great one. I’ve never heard of anyone doing it, but theoretically it is possible. Jewelers preferentially plate parts of jewelry pieces all the time.

In practice though, rhodium wears off, and as others mentioned, it’ll necessitate removing the stone and plating it again. Seems more hassle than it’s worth.

If your girlfriend definitely wants all YG, I’d stick with her wishes and go with all YG!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I like warmth, and to me, the yellow gold will simply bring out more beauty. It’s a matter of taste, not objectivity. I would fin wearing a two-toned setting bothersome, but that’s simply my taste. There are so many beautiful two-toned pieces, though.

See how she responds to the two-toned idea. You want her to love the whole creation.

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

I’m definitely going to have gold prongs visible on the exterior to the eye.

I am going to inquire tomorrow on white plating the prongs on the interior where it meets the diamond. This seems like it could be a viable “hack” to keep the diamond from going too yellow, whilst fulfilling the yellow gold prong requirement.

This isn’t the setting as it a six prong but conceptually this where the white plating would be applied

1711930679632.png

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At one point I was having a ring made in YG and was thinking of YG prongs (ended up going with white) , and was worried about what you are. I discussed with the jeweler about plating the inside of the basket and he definitely said it could be done. It may wear off eventually, but if she cleans the ring using a brush that isn't very abrasive or uses and ultrasonic instead of a brush to get under the stone, I doubt it would wear off as fast as it would on the shank of a ring.

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
At one point I was having a ring made in YG and was thinking of YG prongs (ended up going with white) , and was worried about what you are. I discussed with the jeweler about plating the inside of the basket and he definitely said it could be done. It may wear off eventually, but if she cleans the ring using a brush that isn't very abrasive or uses and ultrasonic instead of a brush to get under the stone, I doubt it would wear off as fast as it would on the shank of a ring.

Thanks for the info lookinagain!

Does anyone know if rhodium is the only metal that can bond to yellow gold (and is white)

Is there a more durable option?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my experience yellow gold right next to the diamond absolutely makes it appear more tinted. For this reason I also opted for platinum basket on my yellow gold ring.

Perhaps tell your partner about this issue and let her make the choice.

Thanks for the info lookinagain!

Does anyone know if rhodium is the only metal that can bond to yellow gold (and is white)

Is there a more durable option?

I think the issue with rhodium is less that it isn’t durable and more that the plating is extremely thin. Perhaps discuss with the jeweler if this plating can be made thicker, like a double layer? Or will that make it too brittle?

I do wonder if it’s possible to make a “double basket”, where the inside is an extremely thin basket of either 18k palladium white gold or platinum; completely enclosed in yellow gold. But I feel like this would be extremely expensive, difficult to achieve and may make the basket (especially the prongs) unacceptably thick.

In the long run it may be cheaper to just rhodium plate the inside and expect to replate every 3-4 years (I think with care it could last that long, since she won’t be able to get creams, perfume, sweat etc on the rhodium and won’t be rubbing it against her skin or other jewelry).

NeedForSpeed

Rough_Rock
I think the issue with rhodium is less that it isn’t durable and more that the plating is extremely thin. Perhaps discuss with the jeweler if this plating can be made thicker, like a double layer? Or will that make it too brittle?

I do wonder if it’s possible to make a “double basket”, where the inside is an extremely thin basket of either 18k palladium white gold or platinum; completely enclosed in yellow gold. But I feel like this would be extremely expensive, difficult to achieve and may make the basket (especially the prongs) unacceptably thick.

In the long run it may be cheaper to just rhodium plate the inside and expect to replate every 3-4 years (I think with care it could last that long, since she won’t be able to get creams, perfume, sweat etc on the rhodium and won’t be rubbing it against her skin or other jewelry).

I was ultimately steered away from trying to plate the inside of the prongs. Being a "super ideal" cut diamond it should not be picking up much light from behind the stone anyway

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results