shape
carat
color
clarity

I can''t fight this feeling anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
One of my best friends got married nearly a year ago now. I was one of 3 bridesmaids, and the wedding was beautiful. She and her now husband had been engaged for about 3 years (they had to finish school before they began planning).

Well, when they first got engaged I thought her ring was really pretty, but I didn''t put much thought into it. Now that I have been looking around at rings online for about a year, I''ve realized that I like hers the best of any I have seen. We have always had similar tastes, that''s part of why we are best friends. I saw her last about a month ago, and I had a pang of jealousy when I saw the ring. I fear that no matter what I try to find that I will always feel like it falls short of hers. I don''t have any desire for it to be bigger or better than hers, I just want to find something that I love as much as that ring.

I unfortunately don''t have a picture of the ring, but I know that it was custom made. I will try my best to describe it...
The center stone is a RB (probably somewhere around a 1ct) with 2 smaller side round diamonds, one on each side of the center stone (probably about .5 ct each). It has 2 baguettes after the smaller stone, one on each side. The center stone, side stone and baguette are each separated by bars. It is white gold. I''ve also noticed that everything is set very high, which I am not sure that I love, because I think I would catch it and bang it on things.

I don''t want to get the same ring as her obviously, but I just want to find something that gives me the same feeling as hers does. I love round diamonds... I''ve gone through princess and cushion phases, but I always come back to round. I think the thing that I like the best is the baguette look, but I just don''t want it to look too similar to hers.

Though, if I can''t find a ring that I like as much as hers, another option is I could always find a new best friend
11.gif
hehe

Any suggestions on settings?
33.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jewels, I know how you''re feeling! They say that imitation is the best form of flattery, but try telling that to the woman whose e-ring has been copied
3.gif
I wouldn''t want to be "that friend" either. Good for you for keeping her feelings in mind!

The good news is that there are countless options out there. You know you like rounds and baguettes--but there are so many ways to throw those shapes together! You really shouldn''t worry too much about coming off as "copying" her, because rounds and baguettes are a very classic combo that many others have gone for, as well.

I''m gonna poke around and see what I can find with round centres and baguette side stones, I''ll post anything good I find here
1.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Best friends are a dime a dozen...dump her and find one with an easier to imitate ring.

Yeah, your right, I do give great advice
2.gif

DKS

ps...I will look anyway
2.gif
, you probably feel the need to keep the old ball and chain.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's dude227's purchase for his fiance, a gorgeous Catherine Angiel piece. It's kind of hard to see in these pictures, but I'm pretty sure it's round and baguette sidestones!

IMGP1260.JPG

cherish.JPG

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any nice jewelry stores near you -- not chain stores, but individually owned ones that have been around awhile? If so, I suggest you go into the stores and see if they have something similar. It''s kind of hard to tell by looking at pictures on line exactly what the ring is going to look like -- you can''t see the ring from every angle, or see how a diamond of a certain mm diameter is going to look on line.

The setting you are describing is not that uncommon. I''m sure you could find a variation of it that would be similar enough that it would give you the feeling you''re looking for, but not identical. I don''t think it''s that bad if you get something similar -- look how many solitaires are running around! I''m sure there are lots of friends who have similar rings.

As far as fighting the feeling -- I''ve been there myself. I used to work with another girl whose ring I had a hard time keeping my eyes off of, and it was AFTER I got mine (years ago -- I''ve since changed my ring but interestingly, it doesn''t look anything like hers did). Eventually that feeling will go away when you get something of your own that you enjoy.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lumpkin made a very good point about trying different styles on... I just assumed (for no reason) you already had!! But yes, your ideas of what you want may very easily change when you see different styles/shapes on your hand. Definitely see some things in person, you may be surprised!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 12:42:19 AM
Author:Jewels305
One of my best friends got married nearly a year ago now. I was one of 3 bridesmaids, and the wedding was beautiful. She and her now husband had been engaged for about 3 years (they had to finish school before they began planning).

Well, when they first got engaged I thought her ring was really pretty, but I didn''t put much thought into it. Now that I have been looking around at rings online for about a year, I''ve realized that I like hers the best of any I have seen. We have always had similar tastes, that''s part of why we are best friends. I saw her last about a month ago, and I had a pang of jealousy when I saw the ring. I fear that no matter what I try to find that I will always feel like it falls short of hers. I don''t have any desire for it to be bigger or better than hers, I just want to find something that I love as much as that ring.

I unfortunately don''t have a picture of the ring, but I know that it was custom made. I will try my best to describe it...
The center stone is a RB (probably somewhere around a 1ct) with 2 smaller side round diamonds, one on each side of the center stone (probably about .5 ct each). It has 2 baguettes after the smaller stone, one on each side. The center stone, side stone and baguette are each separated by bars. It is white gold. I''ve also noticed that everything is set very high, which I am not sure that I love, because I think I would catch it and bang it on things.

I don''t want to get the same ring as her obviously, but I just want to find something that gives me the same feeling as hers does. I love round diamonds... I''ve gone through princess and cushion phases, but I always come back to round. I think the thing that I like the best is the baguette look, but I just don''t want it to look too similar to hers.

Though, if I can''t find a ring that I like as much as hers, another option is I could always find a new best friend
11.gif
hehe

Any suggestions on settings?
33.gif
Hi Jewels,

LOL...that was too funny! I just read that to my best friend (who allowed me to drag her along to a bridal fair today and tried on any and every dress I threw her way today without one word of complaint!) and she started cracking up as she said she could not and would not ever try to compete with my love of jewelry, so we''re safe on that count! Phew!
9.gif

Just a thought, but it might not hurt to tell your friend how much you REALLY like the "style" of her ring and would she mind sharing who her jeweler was with you? I think she would be extremely flattered at how much you like her ring, but it may also help you to then NOT copy it exactly. I think that if you did get something too, too similar, once she got over the initial flattery, she might not feel that hers was so special anymore, and I know how much I would absolutely hate that. I suppose if you don''t see each other that often, it might not be such a big deal, but if you do, I would advise against going for the exact same look.

Have you considered drawing out what you like and taking it to a jeweler? Maybe you could tell them what you *think* you like, and let them do some drawings for you and see what their creative minds come up with...there are also several creative people here on PS who I''m sure who could help make your vision a reality. It definitely sounds like you will have to go custom on a ring like this, but I don''t think you should copy your friend''s ring too closely, unless you really DO want to look for a new best friend!

Best of luck to you!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 1:04:12 AM
Author: musey
Here''s dude227''s purchase for his fiance, a gorgeous Catherine Angiel piece. It''s kind of hard to see in these pictures, but I''m pretty sure it''s round and baguette sidestones!

IMGP1260.JPG

cherish.JPG
Yummmmmy! I think this one is gorgeous! Looks like you could set the diamond a little lower, too.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's dude227's purchase for his fiance, a gorgeous Catherine Angiel piece.

cherish.JPG

I never saw that before; it is gorgeous! The baguettes give it such a delicate, crystalline look! I could go for a ring like that! dude227 has excellent taste!

Deborah
34.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
the first JA inlovewithJHK posted...it''s a beauty!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 8:37:54 AM
Author: AGBF

Here's dude227's purchase for his fiance, a gorgeous Catherine Angiel piece.

I never saw that before; it is gorgeous! The baguettes give it such a delicate, crystalline look! I could go for a ring like that! dude227 has excellent taste!
I just LOOOVE it too!! If I had it to do all over again... how do you think it would look with an asscher??
31.gif
27.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 4:05:01 PM

Date: 8/6/2007 8:37:54 AM

Here''s dude227''s purchase for his fiance, a gorgeous Catherine Angiel piece.

I just LOOOVE it too!! If I had it to do all over again... how do you think it would look with an asscher??
31.gif
27.gif
Don''t you dare, I love your ring exactly as it is. One of my faves!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 4:27:42 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Date: 8/6/2007 4:05:01 PM

31.gif
27.gif

Don''t you dare, I love your ring exactly as it is. One of my faves!
Aww FG!!! Thank you, what a nice thing to say
12.gif

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
I definitely don''t want to try to copy her ring at all, I just want to find a round/baguette combo that I like as much as hers, since I''ve always thought that that combination looks so elegant. She is not the type that would be flattered if she felt I was trying to copy her, but I agree with Musey that round and baguettes are a classic combo, so if I got the two of them it wouldn''t necessarily look like I was trying to replicate hers. And she has been around for 10 years, so if I chose a ring over her, I think I might miss her a little
3.gif
So on with the search!

InlovewithJHK- wow thank you for looking around and finding so many beautiful rings! I love the 1st knox one best, in fact I am going to save it to have as a reference (and forward it to my BF at some point). I like the baguettes to be set east to west, and I think the detailing under the solitare adds a nice touch. Ohh it''s so pretty!!!
36.gif

I like dude227''s choice also, it is so delicate which is something that I like in a ring.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 6:15:49 PM
Author: Jewels305
I love the 1st knox one best, in fact I am going to save it to have as a reference (and forward it to my BF at some point). I like the baguettes to be set east to west, and I think the detailing under the solitare adds a nice touch. Ohh it's so pretty!!!
36.gif
That is a very pretty one!!

ETA: It has a pretty profile view, which is always important to me.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 7:10:52 PM
After a bit of digging I found this pic of my friend''s rings, but it won''t let me directly link the photo if you have the time and patience, go to ''wedding'', hit the next arrow 8 times, and it''s the 9th thumbnail down (wow that''s confusing)

http://www.ecurranphoto.com/

Now do you think that this ring by Knox is too similar to hers?

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=992&action=show_detail
Not at all...I actually think the knox one is a lot more elegant!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/6/2007 11:05:12 PM
Author: Harleigh

Date: 8/6/2007 7:10:52 PM
After a bit of digging I found this pic of my friend''s rings, but it won''t let me directly link the photo if you have the time and patience, go to ''wedding'', hit the next arrow 8 times, and it''s the 9th thumbnail down (wow that''s confusing)

http://www.ecurranphoto.com/

Now do you think that this ring by Knox is too similar to hers?

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=992&action=show_detail
Not at all...I actually think the knox one is a lot more elegant!

i agree totally! The knox one is much prettier and detailed to me. And I''m glad my post helped... stalling packing up our condo has its pluses!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I LOOOVE the knox version. Love the miligrain, love it all. And I don''t they look a like at ALL. (....I like the KNOX one A LOT better) much more elegant and with a flair. I doubt she''ll think they are the same at all. To me, they look like 2 completely different styles.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2007 10:04:20 AM
Author: allycat0303
I LOOOVE the knox version. Love the miligrain, love it all. And I don''t they look a like at ALL. (....I like the KNOX one A LOT better) much more elegant and with a flair. I doubt she''ll think they are the same at all. To me, they look like 2 completely different styles.
Ditto to all of the above.

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
Oh YAY! You all made my day!
9.gif

I had to look at the Knox one again at work today because I had forgotten how pretty it is. You know, it would be a lot easier to admire if it was sitting on my finger...

hehe
11.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julie,

Finding the Knox ring was a snap, but finding your friend's ring took me forever! When I found it I was really disappointed. Perhaps if I could see it from many different angles as I could see the Knox, I could see what is so taking about it. From the one shot available to me, I could not see its charms. I thought that the Knox ring you found was gorgeous, however. I agree with everyone else that the Knox ring is very elegant!

Will you be sporting it?

Deborah
34.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey is this one *similar* to your friend's ring??
2.gif
If it is I'd say, though pretty, it is a *very* "typical" e-ring setting. I wouldn't worry about "copying" it as its quite common. My own sister has it's twin in fact.

I wonder if you'd be drawn to that style if you HADN'T seen it on your friend & admired it long ago. Like people who have a first boyfriend that's blonde and then keep dating blondes because that's what "boyfriend" means to them subconciously.

The Knox version is pretty too ... but I love the Catherine Angiel one best of all! Yes, indeed Musey, how WOULD it look with an Asscher??!!!
31.gif
(answer: not swell at all on MY fleshy meatsticks ... but on almost anyone else: swoon)

ETA: I believe the name for the style of your friends ring is "bar set" and I'd date it to "late 90s - early 00s".

favefriendring.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
In fact ... here's Blue Nile's version -- fresh from their "build a ring" function ... which is what my sister did ....five years ago.

ETA: Actually, now that I think about it ... my best friend has a version of this ring TOO.... but her center stone is bezel set. Tapered bags + tacked on rounds at the end though JUST LIKE THIS.

bluenileversion.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2007 6:07:58 PM
Author: decodelighted
The Knox version is pretty too ... but I love the Catherine Angiel one best of all!

I, also, love the Catherine Angiel best but I didn''t think we were picking rings for ourselves today ;-).

Deb
34.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2007 7:04:16 PM

Date: 8/7/2007 6:07:58 PM
Author: decodelighted
The Knox version is pretty too ... but I love the Catherine Angiel one best of all!

I, also, love the Catherine Angiel best but I didn''t think we were picking rings for ourselves today ;-).

Deb
34.gif
I like the Catherine Angiel the best, too! If I were shopping for an e-ring, I''d want to see this one in person.
30.gif

Jewels305

Shiny_Rock
Deborah- I''m sorry it took so long for you to find the picture. Luckily Deco has made it easier for everyone to see!
36.gif
I don''t have any other angels of the ring, and I know one angel can''t do any ring any justice. I''m also sorry that you are disappointed by it- it is a very pretty ring and looks just right on her. I am glad you liked the Knox one! It''s beautiful and more *me* than hers. My birthstone ring actually has the same 4 diamonds on each side set in milgrain (though it does not have any baguettes. It''s a sign! I don''t know if I will be sporting the Knox ring because unfortunately I''m not the one who gets to make the final say. But it is a good example to strive for!
1.gif

Deco- thank you for reposting the pic so it''s easier to see... I can never figure out that stuff. I think you are right that part of what draws me to the style of her ring is that I''ve admired it for a few years. But I have always like the round/baguette look. I think that I have liked hers so much because it has the classic round and baguette combo plus a little something extra with the two small rounds after the baguettes. That was, at the time, something I had never seen in person before and I thought it just made the ring look complete.
As much as I think her ring is beautiful, I mostly like aspects of it, and I know that as a whole it wouldn''t look right on me. I like things that look more flowing, delicate, and feminine. I feel like the knox setting is more along the lines of what I would want because it has more continuity from one stone to the next. I know I will most likely end up with a ring that is similar to both of them, but also different from both of them. It''s just nice to have some pictures to look at so that I can pinpoint what I like and what I don''t as I narrow down my search.
12.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
As long as folks are posting other rings, here is one that I've always thought was beautiful. Unfortunately it is one of those where the picture does not do it justice, but in person the pink diamonds and rose gold are very subtle, and everyone I've shown it to (at the store) does a double-take because it is so unique and very pretty. Plus I'm sure it could be done in all white, although the pink diamonds are a big part of its charm. Just thought I'd throw it in as an idea....

ETA: If I were to have this ring custom-made, I would take away the little diamond bar in front of the center diamond, and leave it open like on the Knox ring. I like to see the center stone as much as possible.

Simon G bagpnk1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results