shape
carat
color
clarity

I bought her ring, why should mine be difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thevoodoowedo

Rough_Rock
So this forum has helped me tremendously over the past few months, engagement is going well.

My current predicament is that I need to decide what kind of band I want for myself. I''m torn: on the one hand, I am considering a $70 titanium ring since I''m not much of a jewelry person.

On the other hand, I''m considering the attatched setting in Platinum by Scott Kay or others. Currently, the lowest price I''ve found is ~$5000 which is more than I''d ever dream of spending on a ring for myself. But, since I''ve never had a piece of jewelry, maybe its time I go all out?

Anyway, more important things to me are unique pieces. I don''t care so much about brand name, size, weight, etc. I''d like it to be unique, well made, and interesting. I got her a Mark Morrell piece, she loves it. i didn''t see anything that Mark did I particularly liked so I''m looking for suggestions.

Also, if I were to go with this particular ring, does anyone know of a reputable scott kay dealer online that might be able to help me? It seems as though most places I''ve asked for quotes come in considerably higher than I''ve found it locally since Platinum has gone up so much.

Thanks
-Voodoo

scott_kay_rope.JPG

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Pearlmans Jewelers sells that for a bit less, $3,870. It''s very nice. It doesn''t look like it could ever be sized, though. But it''s a unique design. I like it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the $70 model, or somewhere in between that and the Scott Kay, personally. Why? Because DH, who is a total jock/not worried about his ring/etc. has lost two rings now (not passing judgment, we actually found his first in his beloed recliner)...I guess I''m saying don''t invest a ton into your ring unless you plan to take VERY good care of it. Love the SK you posted, but I wonder if it will not cause as much concern as her ring will in the long run?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that ring. I tend to think, if you like it, and you're going to wear it forever, get what you want/like.

Does it come in WG? and would you consider that?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are over due: get it. if you don''t you''ll always wish you had.

movie zombie

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I say get it. My husbands band was over 3.5k when we got married. Fine by me since we never plan on changing them. I think it''s a nominal investment for something you''ll wear the rest of your life.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its a very nice looking, masculine ring & has the same flow that MMorrel pieces have -- so in that way you''d be unified with your wife''s e-ring.

The only thing I worry about is it might be quite heavy. If you do a lot of work with your hands there will be an adjustment period for sure.

Other than that -- lovely choice! Check around for similar style & lesser prices just to say you have. And if still calls to you - splurge. It''s your forever band! And a fitting testament to your love & upcoming union.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dude, get the ring you LOVE. You''ve gotta wear it for the rest of your life so why shouldn''t you get a ring you love as much as your FI loves her ring(s)?

As for the price, yeah, high end designer platinum men''s rings aren''t cheap. We had a terrible time trying to find a wband for my then-FI. He was pickier than I was and honestly, I wanted him to love his ring. We finally found a ring that he just FELL for! It was like watching a woman find her dream ering...How could I not get it for him? Of course it was the most expensive ring he could have selected, but I didn''t care, and dont care now. I''m thrilled that he really loves his wedding band so to me, it was worth every single penny...

BTW, it sounds like you are buying your own ring? If you feel it''s too pricey perhaps your FI can chip in some?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, that is a nice ring but would I pay $4000 for it? No! I really think you could find one equally nice without paying for the SK name.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 10:10:40 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Gosh, that is a nice ring but would I pay $4000 for it? No! I really think you could find one equally nice without paying for the SK name.
Yes but why then do we tell people here "yes, if you really love the T&C, go for it!" Why should he, a man, search for a deal when this is what he seems to love. It''s a once in a lifetime purchase, hopefully! I say splurge!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
What should you do? I can't say.

What would I do? My idea of all out for a man's wedding ring is:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP01758&mcat=148208&cid=288177&search_params=s+5-p+5-c+288177-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

I see the prices of rings for men like the one you posted and I can't relate to it. To me it's just to much for a ring without a diamond. But to each their own.
1.gif

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 10:10:40 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I totally agree with this. I know platinum is thru the roof, but I wouldn''t spend that on a band. If it had some diamonds in iit I might about it. I think you could find something similiar without the designer mark up.

thevoodoowedo

Rough_Rock
Nono, I bought hers, she''s going to buy mine. What I mean to say is though I got her a very nice ring, I''m not sure I could ever justify an expensive ring purchase if it were just up to me. But thats mostly because I''ve never worn a single piece of jewelry. Part of me would value and care for a 5k ring much more than a $300 ring... on the other hand, its just a symbol and what it stands for obviously means the most to me (my undying love for my wife)...

I''m still looking around, so far I haven''t found anything I like better. I''ve asked Mark to see if he can come up with a custom piece that I like more... I''m much more willing to pay a lot for a ~ 1 of a kind piece. We''ll see what he comes up with.

That said, I do have reservations with how heavy this piece is. I work on the computer all day so I''m sure it would take at least a bit of getting used to. Good advice to be weary of.

I''m also considering it in wg or Palladium. Honestly, if I go with this piece, it''s going to be in Platinum. I''m still torn between the nice SK ring and a titanium band of similar style for < 10% of the price. I''ve found a few here:
http://www.titaniumera.com/catalog/list?cid=663

The disadvantage is that I can''t see them in person before I buy without a 25% cost commitment...

Also, looking around, most people have very plain wedding bands, I''m not sure how timeless this band will stay. Thoughts?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure that I would spend $5K on a band without diamonds in it, but this is not about what I want, lol! This is your wedding band, it will be the most important piece of jewelry that you ever own. You should be sure to get what you want...my husband has a plain 4mm gold band, that is what he wanted and that is what he got. He has worn it every single day for the past 11 years. He wears it to work, he wears it boating, he wears it playing softball...etc. It has become a part of him, so to speak. Get what will make you happy!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Why dont you get both?Where is it written that a man cannot own two rings?When you are doing something that will mess up the plat. ring you plan on wearing for life then put on the $70 ring.The up keep on plat is expensive so protect the looks of your expensive ring when you enjoy sports or camping or weight training...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2008 11:49:36 AM
Author: jewelerman
Why dont you get both?Where is it written that a man cannot own two rings?When you are doing something that will mess up the plat. ring you plan on wearing for life then put on the $70 ring.The up keep on plat is expensive so protect the looks of your expensive ring when you enjoy sports or camping or weight training...
I like your way of thinking jman! Yeah, it saddens me sometimes when guys have this thinking that they''re ring shouldn''t be expensive, even though their FI''s ering and wband usually are. Who ever said that a man''s wband isn''t as important as the woman''s? I say get what you love. It''s sort of like that ridiculous saying that "the wedding day is all about the bride..." Which makes a lot of men feel that they''re just a prop for the day, which to me is so wrong. Same thing about a man''s wband. Get what you love and price be damned, as long as YOU/YOUR FI can afford it.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Most men I''ve met, my FI included, tend to go for the less expensive wedding band (like under $200), so I did a double take when I saw the price on the one you want. To each his own, but my advice...if you decide to get it, you''d better insure that baby!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m buying John''s ring for him and I wanted him to get something unique that suits him and his personality. We also picked a scott kay. But we are getting the ring in palladium, and I did have to drag him kicking and screaming away from the much less expensive bands available to get him to agree to THAT because he really had a hard time with the $$ of money that we are spending on his band. He said he''d just rather get me some more or nicer jewelry with the money and get a less expensive band for himself. But I had to explain to him that I wouldn''t have the opportunity to buy him many heirloom peices of jewelry, sure I can get him nices watches, but there is only one wedding band... and I wanted that to be as nice as we could afford. He would have keeled over if I''d even suggested the same band in platinum (5K) though. So palladium it is. I don''t think it''s bad that you want to get yourself something unique and nice quality. We will be insuring his ring though. LOL.

Oh, and we are buying ours through Pearlmans along with my scott kay diamond eternity band (s). Bill rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results