shape
carat
color
clarity

I bought Freke''s periwinkle spinel and orangey red garnet!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool. Congrats ! on your new gems.
9.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Stone Hunter!

Just had a thought...what do you all think about an Elixir setting from Sally for the spinel? It would stack nicely with my tiny lotus. Perhaps I could ask Sally to lower the setting, because it sits up a little too high for my tastes. Only thing is that it wouldn't be in the points-out orientation that I was thinking of, but that's OK.

D&T, as I recall you sent some stones to Sally to be set. Did you have much trouble with the post office? What type of mail did you use to send them?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would be perfect.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Sweet! I was planning on setting these in sterling, so I''ll just have to see if Sally can do an elixir in sterling. I see lotus settings in sterling all the time, but I haven''t seen a sterling elixir.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2009 1:04:09 AM
Author: jstarfireb
Thank you, Stone Hunter!

Just had a thought...what do you all think about an Elixir setting from Sally for the spinel? It would stack nicely with my tiny lotus. Perhaps I could ask Sally to lower the setting, because it sits up a little too high for my tastes. Only thing is that it wouldn''t be in the points-out orientation that I was thinking of, but that''s OK.

D&T, as I recall you sent some stones to Sally to be set. Did you have much trouble with the post office? What type of mail did you use to send them?
Hey Jstar- I sent just registered - in a box stuffed with a couple of magazine, then I used brown tape bought from staples to seal all the openings (don''t use maskin or clear packaging tape) wrote the address directly on the box. (post office lady was A OK with everything) I wrote on the custom form that it was craft material (which is sorta true) I''m having a modified mistral version to have the gem oriented in a kite position NSEW. She should get sometime next week. so we shall see. I am also having her make a slider pendant for the trillion spinel

I like th elixir setting you are thinking about!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks D&T! I''ll keep that in mind. I''m about 90% sure that I''ll go with Sally for these settings. The Elixir is just too perfect for the spinel, and Sally said she could lower the setting to be about the same height as the lotus, provided that the spinel isn''t too deep. The limiting factor is the depth of her Asschers (which are gorgeous!).

Here''s the Elixir, which would be great for my spinel:

elixirpses.jpg

As for the garnet, I was going to stick with another lotus, but then I saw she had listed a new "Lush Lotus" setting that would be perfect:

lotuspspinkes.jpg

I don''t really like having more than one of the same kind of piece, so having this little variation will be great. I think it will be perfect for the stone! The question now is what metal/color to set it in? I want to do the spinel in a white metal, probably sterling. But the garnet...? Any ideas? The color of the garnet makes me think of rose gold, but then it would be tough to stack with the alex and spinel. But maybe I should wear that on its own in a rose gold ring and stack just the alex and spinel otherwise. What do you all think?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Also, D&T and others, roughly how much did it cost to ship to Sally? I''m on the US East Coast...basically about as far as one could possibly be from Thailand!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2009 3:14:53 PM
Also, D&T and others, roughly how much did it cost to ship to Sally? I''m on the US East Coast...basically about as far as one could possibly be from Thailand!
roughly about $23 for me. depends on how much you stuff your box though, I did cut out "stuff" from the magazine,

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
btw - love both those ring choice - the newly modify lotus looks fantastic

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again D&T! Any thoughts on the metal color?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you take some photos of your gems next to white gold?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Just tried to, but the colors are way off! But after placing my garnet next to yellow gold, now I''m thinking it doesn''t look so great. Maybe I should just make them both in sterling?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2009 7:28:24 PM
Just tried to, but the colors are way off! But after placing my garnet next to yellow gold, now I''m thinking it doesn''t look so great. Maybe I should just make them both in sterling?
I think if I can remember most of your jewelry is in white gold metal? I think I would just go with both sterling/white gold. They will turn out gorgeous, unless you want to go two tone again (which I absolutely love as well!)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Yeah, I have a bit of both, but I prefer wearing white metals, and I definitely wear them more often. The interesting thing is that most of my nicer stuff is yellow gold (bought at a time when yellow gold was more popular than white), and most of my kitschy/cute/clunky stuff is silver. If I ever get a bigger camera, I should photograph my entire collection. It would be quite the project!

I definitely think the spinel lends itself to a white metal, but I''m undecided about the garnet. Two-tone is an idea too, but I think I''d like to keep it as a unique feature of the alex lotus.

Of course now that I know I''m doing the Elixir and Lush Lotus, these stones are burning a huge hole in my pocket so to speak...I was going to wait for a while to let me bank account recover from the alex purchase before setting these, but it''s getting more difficult by the minute!

On another note, how cute would a Tiffany Metro band be with these stackers? I''m LOVING the tsavorite/WG one they have, but it''s $$$!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that new lotus is so interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results