shape
carat
color
clarity

I am new and totally clueless... I want to buy a high quality yellow sapphire...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cbott

Rough_Rock
my husband and I have decided to upgrade my center stone, and I''m not sure how to go about it.

My husband purchased my ring from Shane Co. and it is a .81 carat yellow sapphire center stone. I am looking for a princess or round stone, very good quality and around 1.5 to 2 carats. I don''t mind if it has been heat treated.

The problem is I don''t know if the best place to get it would be through Shane Co., price or quality wise. Is it more advisable to go through a specialty jewelery store, or perhaps an online business? Does anyone have suggestions?

Also, I know it greatly varies, but for a treated stone, what can I expect as a reasonable price range for a stone like this?

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
How long ago was the original stone purchased? Does Shane Co have an upgrade program?

If they do and you can use it, my advice would be do lots and lots and lots of i-net searching to find the best stone possible within your budget and then speak with Shane Co about your upgrade, armed with all your new knowledge - you might be surprised at the deal you can get from them

We did similar to this a few years ago with my local jeweller and they actually undercut the i-net prices so they could get the sale. With the economy the way it is right now you are in an extremely strong bargaining position, as long as you know your facts.

For your internet searching have you looked at www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com or www.gemselect.com or www.africagems.com ?

ETA: Welcome to the forum
1.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I simply cannot fully advise without pics
31.gif

How important is a great cut to you?

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
I bought a lovely 6 carat unheated intense yellow cushion cut sapphire from Whiteflash last May. People never think of them for colored gems, but after searching for two years, with countless vendors, I purchased the third stone they brought in for me. It took less than two weeks for them to find it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if cut is your end and be all, perhaps you should look at having your stone custom cut? There are some amazing lapidarist that people have used here. It would be worth a shot to contact a few to let them know what you''re looking for to see if they have the rough available.

As far as treatments, the only one acceptable on a sapphire is heat.

-A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results