shape
carat
color
clarity

Hunting for an asscher

amae

Rough_Rock
Hello! I'm hoping for some input on some asscher diamonds. We looked at a loose 1.01 asscher that was 5.5x5.4, SVI, I, and $5,900 in store. The size was good for me.. Then we were at Costco and I asked to see a solitaire asscher for fun, which was 1.03 (I don't know the mm dimensions), and I didn't like how small it looked. I thought a diamond would look bigger when set? And even though I don't know what the exact dimensions of the Costco one were, I wouldn't think a few tenths of a mm would make it look that different.

Anyway, I have 3 diamonds on hold at James Allen, and they helped me eliminate one of them.

Here is the 0.83. HCA says the crown is too small/will result in chipping/do not buy. It's also the stone my boyfriend picked out and so I'm partial.
0_11.jpg
83_aset.jpg
0_12.jpg
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.30-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-171265

The 0.90. HCA says the pavilion is too deep.
0_13.jpg
90_aset.jpg
0_14.jpg
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/1.30-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-195911

I've also considered going the Blue Nile route, but I hate not being able to see images or being able to get a sarin on them. It seems like you can get a bigger spread for less, but it's getting exhausting looking through dimensions but not really knowing what it looks like. I've been at this for about a month.

I'm frustrated now because I loved that loose asscher, but now I'm afraid shrinkage is already happening and we haven't even decided on a stone yet. We were wanting to keep it under $5,000, but now I keep thinking about how I can pick up extra shifts to help pay the difference and he's not thrilled on that idea - he wants to just upgrade in 5 years. I'm afraid I'm being too anal about this, but I can't even buy makeup without researching it so it's hard not to obsess over my engagement ring.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I personally like the second stone. I'm not sure why and I'm no expert but I just like the faceting better.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA is for rounds only.

amae

Rough_Rock
Thank you, that's a relief! I didn't know that.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'd be interested in taking a look at the first stone posted in person. A word of caution though...I too owned a 1.01 asscher and adored it! :love: I loved the big bold chunky flashes of light, I never got tired of looking at the steps and I always felt that I could fall inside of the stone and live there forever. lol BUT, within a year I grew unhappy with the size of the stone, I felt that it very slowly but surely was shrinking while I slept. ;( Within a year I was ready to upgrade to a larger stone. Asschers face up smaller than many other cuts of the same weight. If you are concerned with the spread now, well....in my opinion it will only get worse. It doesn't take long for DSS to kick in. :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results