carat
color
clarity

Huge 'Aquamarine'-Sapphire: Before and after recut

the-fox

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sorry for long delay, and thanks for all your comments,

here some fresh photos, these one taken with flash, and indirect sunlight from window (outside cloudy).
and as mentioned, this sapphire has a quite mysterious color-change effect!

sapphire-7-21-ct-silver-aquamarine-blue-3.jpg
sapphire-7-21-ct-silver-aquamarine-blue-4.jpg
sapphire-7-21-ct-silver-aquamarine-blue-5.jpg

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love the re-cut now that we can see the color! So in real life, does that stone really go from a pale grey, to an icy blue? Before the cut, I didn't see that pale grey though? I want to say I love the recut, but if that stone was never grey before the recut, and now, sometimes, it is grey..I dunno...

That all being said, the new photos are fantastic! I hope it looks like that more often than it looks like the first re-cut photos you posted!

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
the-fox|1336317310|3188645 said:
Sorry for long delay, and thanks for all your comments,

here some fresh photos, these one taken with flash, and indirect sunlight from window (outside cloudy).
and as mentioned, this sapphire has a quite mysterious color-change effect!

sapphire-7-21-ct-silver-aquamarine-blue-3.jpg
sapphire-7-21-ct-silver-aquamarine-blue-4.jpg
sapphire-7-21-ct-silver-aquamarine-blue-5.jpg

Would that be accurately characterized as "Color Change?" It looks more like it should be called "Color Disappearance!" In the newer photos of the face from mid-April, the stone appeared to have completely lost its blue-ish color, and was then white or clear. In one or two of the most recent photos of the same stone it's seems blue-ish again! The pictures I'm speaking of were all after pictures(after re-cutting).

Is it a color change stone if it goes from clear/white to light blue?

All that aside, it beautifully cut! I'm waiting for you to break down and tell us the name of the cutter who did this....... I'm surprised at the luck of buying what was supposed to be a not-so-uncommonly large aquamarine, but later learning that instead, it is an uncommonly large sapphire. It was a huge loss of material when you had it recut, but still, 7.21cts is still a fairly large sapphire. Plus, if the original seller thought it was an aqua of questionable cut and color, then you probably got it for much less money than you would've paid if the seller had known it was a HUGE sapphire with potential!

the-fox

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here two more photos,
I will soon try to catch the silver-colored aspect of this miraculous stone.

sapphire-7-21-ct-silver-aquamarine-blue-6.jpg
sapphire-7-21-ct-silver-aquamarine-blue-7.jpg

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
You've captured a nice blue with your camera there, obviously the more attractive colour of the stone.

Question: Does it ever show the blue colour when you look directly into the table? The shots you have posted showing the blue colour are all more or less sideways. Also, you call it a colour changer - in what lighting conditions does it go gray, and in what lighting conditions does it go blue?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim Bruun|1336811447|3193685 said:
You've captured a nice blue with your camera there, obviously the more attractive colour of the stone.

Question: Does it ever show the blue colour when you look directly into the table? The shots you have posted showing the blue colour are all more or less sideways. Also, you call it a colour changer - in what lighting conditions does it go gray, and in what lighting conditions does it go blue?

Ditto. The profile view will always show the true colour but cutting can either mask it or show it to its best. Colour grading is always done face up and never the side view though. I am curious to see the final face up colour of the sapphire. My guess that the blue is more apparent outdoors and it becomes colourless / gray indoors?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1336829749|3193754 said:
My guess that the blue is more apparent outdoors and it becomes colourless / gray indoors?

Right, I agree. These are the first pictures that don't make it look just about colorless. Too bad it doesn't have this light blue coloration more often...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you got the catch of the century, a 19-ct unheated sapphire. It would cost a lot, even if it were light icy-blue. I recently saw a 20-ct sapphire of a horrible greenish-yellow color, and included, and the price was astronomical, or at least seemed so, to me. I do not think I would have made the decision to recut your stone, because it cost much more as a native cut, 19-ct unheated sapphire, but I have not seen it, and you have, and so did the cutter, and if the cutter made the decision, and he has seen many stones, then it probably looks much better after the recut. Most of all, you enjoy it, and love it now, so, congratulations on your aquamarine sapphire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results