shape
carat
color
clarity

HRT - Care To Share Your Experiences?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Ally, that sounds awful, and with the stress (and excitement) of your massive renovation, it must be pretty miserable. I agree with the others that it sounds like the GP has given you poor and outdated advice. I'm another very firm advocate of bioidenticals for anyone who's suffering. At my annual appointment last week, my gynae mentioned that she has some patients who have had breast cancer who are okayed by their oncologists to go on bhrt as the quality of life issues outweigh the risks. I never got on with hormonal birth control at all (and had terrible hyperemesis gravidarum all three pregnancies) and have been absolutely fine and, in fact, someone would have a very difficult time persuading me to give it up, both for all the protections mentioned, but also because it makes life so, so much nicer.

I hope the other GP is more sympathetic and more clued up. In case you're not happy with their response, the Marion Gluck Clinic in London does remote appointments. I used to go there but now use this clinic https://londonbioidenticalhormones.com
However, I'm not sure if they're taking new patients. The Marion Gluck Clinic isn't the most intensely personal experience in the world, but I found them fine and pretty good at tailoring the regimen - I believe (although could be wrong about this) that oral hrt carries more risk than transdermal. I'm also very sensitive to both progesterone and testosterone, so mine requires fairly careful balancing and took some tweaking, which they were very good at. I get reviewed every six months (more if needed) and the prescriptions are made up by this place and sent to me

With your symptoms I'd also suggest asking for a full autoimmune/thyroid panel, and do specify full as they are likely to only run the TSH test unless pushed. Any time of hormonal change can be a trigger point for thyroid issues, etc. to crop up, so it's worth making sure nothing else is going on.

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks so much for all of this information! I am glad you have found someone to listen to you & a balance that works. It’s definitely a tricky time & I’m keeping my fingers crossed that my chat with the GP is informative & positive. Will keep you posted.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be interesting to see whether I could get on this since I had hormone receiptor positive breast cancer in 2019 after which the chemo abrubtly thrust me into menopause. After chemo, I had the “implant” (zolodex) quarterly for two years to get to the approximate date I might have become naturally menopausal. I also take (and will continue for like 10 years) what I call ”man pills” (estrogen suppressors/aromatase inhibitors) to keep the E&P+ cancer from growing and also a baby dose of venlafaxine to supposedly help with night sweats. Which I don’t really get. It also helps with anxiety though, which I do feel that I have.

I don’t really want to continue on venlafaxine forever, and I would love to see if maybe testosterone could help me get back some libido which has been majorly affected by the zolodex, venlafaxine and/or man pills.

In a case like mine, a bio identical hormone is still a hormone, right? So wouldn’t taking E or P (even from my own biological source) still cause hormone receptor positive cells to recept… i.e, grow? We wouldn’t really want that to happen, but staying on the aromatase inhibitor makes my husband joke that he and I will soon be having a beard growing contest (kidding) (sort of).

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be interesting to see whether I could get on this since I had hormone receiptor positive breast cancer in 2019 after which the chemo abrubtly thrust me into menopause. After chemo, I had the “implant” (zolodex) quarterly for two years to get to the approximate date I might have become naturally menopausal. I also take (and will continue for like 10 years) what I call ”man pills” (estrogen suppressors/aromatase inhibitors) to keep the E&P+ cancer from growing and also a baby dose of venlafaxine to supposedly help with night sweats. Which I don’t really get. It also helps with anxiety though, which I do feel that I have.

I don’t really want to continue on venlafaxine forever, and I would love to see if maybe testosterone could help me get back some libido which has been majorly affected by the zolodex, venlafaxine and/or man pills.

In a case like mine, a bio identical hormone is still a hormone, right? So wouldn’t taking E or P (even from my own biological source) still cause hormone receptor positive cells to recept… i.e, grow? We wouldn’t really want that to happen, but staying on the aromatase inhibitor makes my husband joke that he and I will soon be having a beard growing contest (kidding) (sort of).

Obviously I cannot offer any advice as I am completely in the dark on all of this, but i am sorry to hear about your breast cancer & I am glad you are healthy & doing ok. Hugs to you.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
My menopause symptoms started about 6 months after my hysterectomy in 2015. I used the Climara patch for about 6-1/2 years then it stopped working. Hot flashes and other symptoms returned.

I looked into bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) after a friend told me of her experience using them. I started in September and just had my third dose this week. I get estrogen and testosterone pellets inserted in my upper buttocks area. So far, I am super pleased with the results. No more hot flashes, have more patience, more energetic and increased sex drive.

Hope you find a solution for your symptoms.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for telling me your experiences :kiss2:

I had a great appoint with my GP on Wed. We had a long chat about HRT, about my concerns, about how I have been managing so far etc & mostly about what I am struggling with & need some help.

She didn’t lecture of dismiss. She actually said “what can I do for you to help this be easier?”

She arranged bloods to rule out any arthritis or bone issues, which I had early the next morning, plus to measure my current hormone levels. She prescribed a 3 month trial of the patches, which I can slap on my arse when my period starts next week, with a view to seeing if it makes any difference or not. At that stage we will discuss whether to continue, whether to add any creams or gels, or whether to knock it on the head & stop. I am reluctant but also excited to get going. As a life long natural girl who is generally holistic, I will hold up my hands & agree to see how this goes.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Ally T I am going to message you on FB with the group I highly recommend (I am biased because I mod that group but it is an excellent group despite that haha). Everything you ever wanted to know about BHRT and more. It's a great group.

I would love the info to this group as I am dealing with the same issues.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Question for all of you who have been there: how did you know you were in perimenopause and needed HRT? Asking because some of the peri symptoms overlap with some autoimmune symptoms. I was curious about what was going on with me last year—regular periods but some other symptoms that could either be autoimmune or perimenopause. My endocrinologist ran tests for ovarian reserve and told me I’m nowhere near menopause. Wondering how reliable that is. No maternal pattern to go of of because my mother had a hysterectomy in her 30s.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for all of you who have been there: how did you know you were in perimenopause and needed HRT? Asking because some of the peri symptoms overlap with some autoimmune symptoms. I was curious about what was going on with me last year—regular periods but some other symptoms that could either be autoimmune or perimenopause. My endocrinologist ran tests for ovarian reserve and told me I’m nowhere near menopause. Wondering how reliable that is. No maternal pattern to go of of because my mother had a hysterectomy in her 30s.

According to UK health information, perimenopause can last for as long as 10 years before the menopause actually happens. So these changes can creep slowly in hardly noticed, becoming more severe, before you periods even think about becoming erratic etc. It’s a much bigger picture than periods alone & I am thankful that this is acknowledged & recognised now, as so many women suffer in silence because they are still getting monthlies.

I have had peri symptoms for years & as I have a bleeding disorder that requires yearly blood work, they have been throwing other tests in at the same time. These have included thyroid function, auto immune conditions & rheumatoid arthritis. These tests are always negative & despite regular periods, we have known for at least 3-4 years that I am well into peri with very low oestrogen, progesterone & testosterone.

I have always coped very well with exercise & supplements up until more recently, so I thought I was sailing through quite well. But my body has upped it’s anti & supplements are no longer cutting it. My feet & hips are too painful to run on & i am having to change the bed more frequently due to being soaked with sweat. Yummy! My periods are still monthly, but getting slightly further apart. I used to be 28 days on the clock, but now can range from 27 to 34 days. However this is a new thing for me & only a small part of the puzzle.

I hope you are able to find someone to have a conversation with who will listen to you. Here in the UK they don’t routinely do hormone level checks anymore, but will prescribe HRT on symptoms alone if you are over 45.

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
I’m 54 and have a Mirena which my GP and Gynaecologist support but my recent hormone blood tests have showed as post menopause which both professionals view as inconclusive results.

My GP has a side profession of skin treatment and advancement, her view is that I continue with a Mirena as she believes it provides strong anti ageing when it comes to skin health and general health at my age.

My Gynaecologist would like it removed and see what my actual hormone levels are and then look at what is the best cause of action once the true results are discovered.
He is also concerned that there are issues that need to be looked after health wise if I’m post menopausal eg; heart and bone mass loss.

Whose advise do I concentrate on? Naturally the Gynaecologist is the expert in this area but my GP has a strong community of female patients my age and beyond who have always had good outcomes (not necessarily skin) in female health, menopause & general.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m 54 and have a Mirena which my GP and Gynaecologist support but my recent hormone blood tests have showed as post menopause which both professionals view as inconclusive results.

My GP has a side profession of skin treatment and advancement, her view is that I continue with a Mirena as she believes it provides strong anti ageing when it comes to skin health and general health at my age.

My Gynaecologist would like it removed and see what my actual hormone levels are and then look at what is the best cause of action once the true results are discovered.
He is also concerned that there are issues that need to be looked after health wise if I’m post menopausal eg; heart and bone mass loss.

Whose advise do I concentrate on? Naturally the Gynaecologist is the expert in this area but my GP has a strong community of female patients my age and beyond who have always had good outcomes (not necessarily skin) in female health, menopause & general.

Gosh, this is a really tricky one & I am no help at all, because I am only just starting my HRT journey.

I am sure others will chime in & offer advice, though.

Calling @missy She has a wealth of knowledge about this sort of thing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, this is a really tricky one & I am no help at all, because I am only just starting my HRT journey.

I am sure others will chime in & offer advice, though.

Calling @missy She has a wealth of knowledge about this sort of thing.

I don't love the Mirena as it is synthetic and not bio identical. I agree with your gynecologist and would remove it and see what happens to your hormone levels. Then I would start bio identical HRT as needed depending on your symptoms, signs and blood work.

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
@missy thank you for your response, I agree with my gynaecologist’s view too and will go ahead with his proposal. I will discuss a bio identical HRT routine and hopefully this will be a successful course of action.

Thanks @Ally T for your support and good luck with your Menopause journey. It’s certainly a complex issue for most of us.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread to ask you ladies if you found the secret to losing weight during peri & meno?

I have gained 18 lbs over the last 4 years. I was quite slim to start with, but now I am a solid UK size 14 (a US 10) & I hate to say it & I know I should be kinder to myself with all that is going on, but I am repulsed by how I look & how my clothes fit.

I eat healthily 90% of the time, treats & alcohol at weekends only. I have stopped running due to painful joints, but hoping the HRT will deal with that & I can start again. But I am still active & replaced my 30k a week with a 6k power walk every week day. However, my thighs, waist & upper arms are betraying me terribly!

There has been a gym built at the Vicarage behind the new garage block & we are waiting delivery of the most spring loaded running machine I could find, plus weights benches, a rower & a static bike. I am hoping I can get back into shape, as I really can’t be anymore active in my day to day life, or eat any more healthily.

Urgh!

Care to share how you managed to get hormonal weight off? Did the HRT boost your metabolism back to where it used to be? Were you able to get more active?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread to ask you ladies if you found the secret to losing weight during peri & meno?

I have gained 18 lbs over the last 4 years. I was quite slim to start with, but now I am a solid UK size 14 (a US 10) & I hate to say it & I know I should be kinder to myself with all that is going on, but I am repulsed by how I look & how my clothes fit.

I eat healthily 90% of the time, treats & alcohol at weekends only. I have stopped running due to painful joints, but hoping the HRT will deal with that & I can start again. But I am still active & replaced my 30k a week with a 6k power walk every week day. However, my thighs, waist & upper arms are betraying me terribly!

There has been a gym built at the Vicarage behind the new garage block & we are waiting delivery of the most spring loaded running machine I could find, plus weights benches, a rower & a static bike. I am hoping I can get back into shape, as I really can’t be anymore active in my day to day life, or eat any more healthily.

Urgh!

Care to share how you managed to get hormonal weight off? Did the HRT boost your metabolism back to where it used to be? Were you able to get more active?

Ally, first of all happy Mother's Day. Wishing you and your family a very happy Mother's day and all the best wishes for you in your gorgeous new home.

Second of all yes. once your hormones are optimized *and* balanced the weight should come off and stabilize. Any BHRT protocol ideally needs to ensure adequate and balanced blood levels of all three sex hormones to help address weight and metabolism. Low Estrogen can cause increasing insulin resistance, which in turn can contribute to weight gain. Progesterone is a natural diuretic. And Testosterone helps maintain muscle mass. Plus make sure your thyroid is optimized as well as a sluggish one will lead to weight gain. Once all your hormones are both balanced and optimized you will see results and likely feel much better too

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ally, first of all happy Mother's Day. Wishing you and your family a very happy Mother's day and all the best wishes for you in your gorgeous new home.

Second of all yes. once your hormones are optimized *and* balanced the weight should come off and stabilize. Any BHRT protocol ideally needs to ensure adequate and balanced blood levels of all three sex hormones to help address weight and metabolism. Low Estrogen can cause increasing insulin resistance, which in turn can contribute to weight gain. Progesterone is a natural diuretic. And Testosterone helps maintain muscle mass. Plus make sure your thyroid is optimized as well as a sluggish one will lead to weight gain. Once all your hormones are both balanced and optimized you will see results and likely feel much better too

Funny you should say that, but when my blood results came back my GP said “your oestrogen is far lower than it should be for your age.” I have been having symptoms for years & years, though still have regular periods. It’s not all about periods though, is it?

My GP has been fabulous & I know when I got back in 2 months she will have a clearer picture of what’s going on.

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock

At my last physical, my GP and I discussed my weight gain and struggle to lose. I have always been US size 14/16 and recently jumped 15lbs and two sizes. she recommended I add more protein and fiber as well as some intermittent fasting. I already do the fasting bit, 16-20hr most days.

The past 3 weeks I have focused on protein and fiber and have lost 6lbs without any other adjustments. I added more beans, lean meats grilled chicken/turkey, fish nuts, seeds and half an avocado.

I track how many grams of each I am getting on a food app and try to get 20+grams of fiber and 150-175 grams of protein each day.

Small shifts in diet seem to have helped, but I don’t know how long it will continue to help me lose weight.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Reading this thread with interest.

I am 46 next birthday and am definitely starting to feel the twinges of age. I’ve gained 25 pounds over the last three years having been slim UK 10 for years since I lost the baby weight. I also find myself being very irritable and grumpy, and very little sex drive, which isn’t usually like me. But maybe that’s partly the weight gain?

I have always had irregular periods and a long cycle as I have PCOS so hard to tell if that’s really impacted. I’ve got an appointment with the GP next week to get my hormone levels checked.

Like another poster on here I have never got along well with hormonal contraceptives and always had an IUD due to that. The combined pill gave me headaches and made me gain weight. The progesterone only pill made me severely depressed. So I’m kind of worried about messing with my hormone levels at all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading this thread with interest.

I am 46 next birthday and am definitely starting to feel the twinges of age. I’ve gained 25 pounds over the last three years having been slim UK 10 for years since I lost the baby weight. I also find myself being very irritable and grumpy, and very little sex drive, which isn’t usually like me. But maybe that’s partly the weight gain?

I have always had irregular periods and a long cycle as I have PCOS so hard to tell if that’s really impacted. I’ve got an appointment with the GP next week to get my hormone levels checked.

Like another poster on here I have never got along well with hormonal contraceptives and always had an IUD due to that. The combined pill gave me headaches and made me gain weight. The progesterone only pill made me severely depressed. So I’m kind of worried about messing with my hormone levels at all.

Non bio identical is a completely different animal to bio identical. I too was never able to tolerate synthetic non bioidentical bc pills. However bio identical is absolutely different. A complete 180 and I had no issues not only tolerating it but thriving and let me tell you no one is more sensitive than I am to medication. However bio identical is the exact same molecular structure as what our bodies used to produce in sufficient quantity.

Non bio identical HRT are synthetics that are produced by big pharma and are FDA approved. These are the most risky types of hormone replacement according to the research (especially in oral form). These synthetic options do not fully match (at a molecular level) the hormones that our body naturally produces. Women should avoid this category and consider these options a last resort.

Examples of oral synthetic HRT include: Premarin, Prempro, Duavee, Kilofem, Elleste Duet, Femoston, Tibolone, hormonal birth control pills, etc. Non-oral options would include things like the combi-patch (bio/body-identical estrogen but synthetic progestin). And then any form of synthetic progestin like the Mirena IUD, Norethisderone, etc. Premarin vaginal cream also falls into this category.

Bio identical examples that are FDA approved include Estradiol patches, gels, injections, and oral pills. Anything that is just plain “Estradiol” is bioidentical. For progesterone, you have bioidentical micronized progesterone pills (Prometrium), which can also be used as suppositories. And all forms of mainstream vaginal hormonal products also fall into this category except Premarin cream. The combined pill "Bijuva" falls into this category but note that it is the ONLY bioidentical combined pill. Any other mainstream combined E/P pills are synthetic.

Then there is compounded bio identical and that includes custom compounded creams, compounded pills, compounded troches, etc. At a molecular level, the hormones in this category are no different than those in the above category. What differs are the inactive ingredients, sometimes dosing, sometimes delivery method, and different (less) oversight or regulation by government agencies. Most women use testosterone from this category (not all, but most). Outside of the U.S. (and Canada to a certain extent) compounded hormones are less common.

Just an FYI. I ask everyone to do their due diligence and do NOT let the medical community guide you here because, for the most part, they are woefully behind the times and are not taught these facts in medical school. It is only the healthcare professional who wants to learn who will be able to work with you and get your hormones optimized and balanced for relief of symptoms and for maximum health benefits

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you should say that, but when my blood results came back my GP said “your oestrogen is far lower than it should be for your age.” I have been having symptoms for years & years, though still have regular periods. It’s not all about periods though, is it?

My GP has been fabulous & I know when I got back in 2 months she will have a clearer picture of what’s going on.

You can be having regular periods but not ovulating ... why don't you get an ovulation test kit and see if you are indeed no longer ovulating.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
You can be having regular periods but not ovulating ... why don't you get an ovulation test kit and see if you are indeed no longer ovulating.

This is actually a really good idea! Are they accurate?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@missy Are you available on IG(or other location of choice) to ask some questions on BHRT?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results